part time craft work while on Soc Sec Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sick~kitty, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

I need to find some information on working part-time while disabled.
    I've been on SSD for 20 years. I found I was unable to even manage a
    part-time volunteer commitment because my health was too unpredictable.
    At last I've found a handcraft I enjoy, and which I think could actually
    generate some income. I have a lot of questions as to how this will
    affect my SSD, and what the reporting requirements are. When I looked
    at the official SocSec site, all I found was info on the Ticket to Work
    program, which doesn't apply to my situation.

The kicker is that while I may work 20 hours a month, my sales would likely be only once or twice a year. My monthly profit will never be a lot, but it would look like a lot if reported as occurring during only 2 months.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

your best bet is probably to call your ssd caseworker and ask bout this.....I know that there is a monthly limit on how much you can make, but I have no idea how it works when you might get 6 months' worth of pay at once
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I'd say that it still wouldn't hurt to ask just to give you peace of mind about it - you could even ask anonymously - just call your local ss office and ask what would happen if someone on disability were to work sporadically and get paid once or twice a yr - explain exactly what you wrote here but don't tell them who you are if you are afraid it could come back to haunt you (although I don't think it would bc even if you ask that doesn't mean that you are for sure going to do it and even if you do it, you can probably still get paid under the table)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can earn a fair amt. of money monthly. It chages from year to year. You can call or find it on their website. I doubt that you would come close to meeting the limit.

Love, Mikie