Part Time Jobs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rocky, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Hi, I am new on the message board. Would like to known if anybody knowns of part-time work that they can handle thru the CFS/FMS. I don't think I can qualify for disabilty. I have been a homemaker for the last 17 years. I worked full time for 12. If anybody has any ideas please let me known.

I have been reading the message board and will have you all in my prays. I have had FMS for 9 months and just now the doctor is saying I have a diease not just "normal back and leg pains. God Bless
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Rocky, glad you found our board. I can't help with part-time work, just wanted to welcome you.

Our members probably have some good suggestions for you as soon as they see your post.

I have had FM for 20 plus years, it is quite a bit to deal with when you are not working! I can't imagine having to work anymore.

HOpe we hear from you often, I can assure you, you will learn a lot about your illness here, we have sooooo much experience to share, if you added all of our length of illness together, you would get a millenium of experience!

Again, welcome, and thanks for the blessing, God Bless you too.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi, Just wanted to welcome you to our board. I am in the same boat as you---I was a stay-at-home Mom for the past ten years, who always assumed I'd go back to work when my daughter was older. But FM came along. Now I'd find it almost impossible to work full-time, and I'm not sure about part-time. I've been thinking of trying to find a volunteer job to kind of get my "feet wet" for a couple of hours a week to see how handling something like that goes, and then if that works out OK, increase the hours a little. (I do believe that volunteer jobs are just as big a commitment as paid jobs; you can't flake out just because there isn't a paycheck, so I'd have to know that at first the hours were little enough that I would be certain to get there each week!) But I think I'm going to try to start back in the "work world" in this way. And hopefully be helpful in the process. I wish you luck; depending on your skills, perhaps there are part-time jobs you could do at home? Or a job with a small hourly commitment ( at least at first) that you could do outside the home, because if we can handle it, I think it does us ALL good to get out of our houses into the regular world! Anyway, I wish you luck, Rocky, and please visit our board a lot--there's a whole world of information here about FM to take advantage of & lots of helpful, supportive folks here!

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Welcome to the board. I think that we sort of wear the same shoes; I don't think that I can qualify for SSD either. Here's what I'm doing now: I got a PT job working with mentally retarded adults helping them learn home skills like cooking, cleaning, etc. I used to work at a greenhouse nursery, but the work was very physical and I just can't do it anymore. I start my new job after the first of the year and I'm really hoping it works out for me. You could try some volunteer work to see how it feels re-entering the work force. Find something that really interests you and you might have a better chance of making it happen.

I've only been dx'd with FM since July, 2002 and that was hard for me. I've always been a go-getter kind of gal, pushing myself to the limits. It's been a learning road to adjust to this DD.

I hope you find something! Good luck. Lisa
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Glad you're here! The people on this board are wonderful and you'll get a lot of useful information! I have a part-time job. I was diagnosed with FMS about 5 years ago. I was working part-time at the time. I left that job and now work downtown. I only work 4 hours a day. It's about all I can manage. I am a Legal Secretary. I just sit and type. I don't have to answer phones or deal with clients. Basically my job is very stress-free. I have about 1/2 hour commute. I work from 9-1 so I am home early to make supper. I would try to find something easy - something you're familiar with. What did you do before you got married? As someone else said above, when you do get a job make sure you know exactly what is expected of you and what your hours are. Some employers (like my first one) was very good at springing surprises on me. And if I said I didn't want to do that particular thing, they told me I "wasn't a team player". So have it all spelled out for you! Let us know what happens!

Annette2 :)
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I was working part-time for two years, but forced to go back to full-time due to finances. Of course everyone with this disease is different, but I think from my own experience I can't handle any job that requires a lot of physical work and lifting. Also, jobs that require a lot of repetitive motions (like working on an assembly line or typing at a computer all day). With the brain fog a problem for me, I can't handle a job that requires a lot of responsibility or supervising other employees. Fortunately for me, I work two part-time jobs (at the same school) and neither require a lot of responsibility or repetitive motion. But even with this, I have many days when the pain and exhaustion make it difficult to work. Another thing I have in my favor is that one of the jobs I work is only for nine months. So I have three months that I only work mornings. Plus the college I work at gives us a lot of sick, vacation and holiday time.

Good luck to you in your job search. As you know, there are no simple answers to people in our situation.

Ellen
  7. hbic

hbic New Member

I am a 29(almost 30) year old mom of two, ages 10 and 11. I started college in 1996, was a size 7, and was in great shape, happy and healthy and on my way to success and off welfare. My college was 5 floors, and I never took the elevator. I always took the stairs. I could get to the 5th floor from the 1st before the elevator got there. In 1998, in my second to last semester, I began to feel so run down and tired. ALL THE TIME!!!! Three doctors told me it was normal for someone with my life, single parent, two kids, full time college, and full time worker between semesters. Another told me I was depressed and sent me to Behavioral Health. Another said, "What you have looks and acts like mono, even under the microscope, but isnt mono." Thats it, thats all, no further discussion or investigating. "Just get some rest," he said. After I graduated in 1999, I struggled with finding work and keeping work. When I would find a job, I would have a hard time getting going in the morning, staying aware enough during the day, and with my cognitive understanding of what I was told to do. Each one I got fired from after only a few months because I just couldnt keep up. Going for interviews was emotionally and psychologically distressing. Having to answer to why I had had so few jobs, each of such short duration was always what cost me the interview and inevitably, the job. I finally had a dx in June of this year. My doctor is a good doctor, gave me an "excusal" from work, so that social services would get off my back (We are required to work 30 hours a week). 6 months later, social services is on me again to start working. They interviewed me to see if I might be able to recieve SSI, and if I was, they would help me along the way, free attorney and everything. But, they say that because I am on 29, and have goals(I wanted to be a police officer, but oviously cant now, so that would qualify as HAD goals), I would not be approved. They want my doctor to fill out a Medical Employability Evaluation form that is all yes or no answers, which is impossible for him to do. With Fibro, you can't say, yes this person is permanantly unable to work, or how long it will take for that patient to be up to task, and even then, how long that will last. If he fills this form out in such a way as to be vague, they will require 30 hours a week from me. They want to know my level of function, and the one option to mark is "lift 10 pounds, walk 2 hours a day, sit 6 hours a day." Well, I can lift 10 pounds, I could walk for 2 hours a day, but not all together, and I could sit for 6 hours, but not all together. So if he marks this option, they will place me in job that will have me sitting for 6 hours all day. Or in one in which I am required to walk for 2 hours straight. So, why can't he just say I am totally and completely disabled? Because I'm not. And I want to work. Im so bored at home all day. And broke. I need a paycheck. There needs to be an outcry from us all, to Employers, the SSA, Social Services, that there needs to be more understanding of our condition. They have to understand that while some of us can keep a 40 hour week, others of us can't even walk. And of those of us who could work part - time, we can't do it everyday, 52 weeks a year. It would be so nice not to get fired because I have to take a few days off to rest.
  8. gracieathome

gracieathome New Member

I am a waitress. It gives me the excersise I need, and I love it. I used to work full time as a cook, but the job was too strenuos (SP) and my boss was a jerk. Now I just work a few hours at a time, get my needed excersise, my bosses are great and I make money too!

9. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

working answering phones while the regular employees are at lunch. This would not be something that would be advertised but try calling offices of doctors and other professionals. It would only be for an hour and a half or 2 hours at most.

Another possibility is to contact a home health care agency or nursing registry and ask about a position as a companion.
    This usually involves staying with a confused or senile senior citizen, making sure they are safe, make conversation and maybe get them something to eat.

If you feel that you can do more, there is another skill level called homemaker which includes cleaning and cooking.

These jobs are often not all day. They can be for 3 or 4 hours. They can be regular or just once to give the regular caregiver a break. One thing that's really nice about working for a registry or agency is that if they call you and you are not feeling well that day, you can say no without jepardizing your job.

Best wishes,
    Anne