part time use of wheelchair....?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Betty50victor, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Anyone get absolutely worn out from just going to market for 1/2 hr or so and problems taking groceries in house when done? Only 48 yr. old and am embarrased to ride around in a wheelchair that most markets have. It's usually, more than not, that the people in wheelchairs are alot older and just doesn't seem right to see a young person in one. I'm going to the Harvest Festival in Ventura in Oct. and I KNOW that I'll have to rent a wheelchair if I plan to see all the goodies/crafts there. It takes at least a couple of hrs. to go thru the exibits.
    Does anyone out there have the same problems? My hips just feel, all the time, like they are broke! Can't walk very well at all. Beside the exastion, I feel like I'm crippled most of the time. MUCH pain! Damn fibro moment! I was going to say or ask something else but just lost the thought as fast as I thought about it. Only ANOTHER damn thing to deal with. I just wonder what's gonna go next....
    Would appreciate any response/questions/answers or ideas.
    Thank you to ALL of you on this board. I think this is the best thing for all of us and I know all of your messages are helping me and others.

I hope everyone is dealing with this DD as good as possible.

Gentle and soft hugs to all of you and keep writing because you are all a TREMENDOUS help.

love and best wishes.....Betty in Valencia
  2. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Anyone get absolutely worn out from just going to market for 1/2 hr or so and problems taking groceries in house when done? Only 48 yr. old and am embarrased to ride around in a wheelchair that most markets have. It's usually, more than not, that the people in wheelchairs are alot older and just doesn't seem right to see a young person in one. I'm going to the Harvest Festival in Ventura in Oct. and I KNOW that I'll have to rent a wheelchair if I plan to see all the goodies/crafts there. It takes at least a couple of hrs. to go thru the exibits.
    Does anyone out there have the same problems? My hips just feel, all the time, like they are broke! Can't walk very well at all. Beside the exastion, I feel like I'm crippled most of the time. MUCH pain! Damn fibro moment! I was going to say or ask something else but just lost the thought as fast as I thought about it. Only ANOTHER damn thing to deal with. I just wonder what's gonna go next....
    Would appreciate any response/questions/answers or ideas.
    Thank you to ALL of you on this board. I think this is the best thing for all of us and I know all of your messages are helping me and others.

I hope everyone is dealing with this DD as good as possible.

Gentle and soft hugs to all of you and keep writing because you are all a TREMENDOUS help.

love and best wishes.....Betty in Valencia
  3. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I use a wheelchair when I go to Fairs, Parades or somewhere that will include a lot of walking and being on my feet a lot.
    So you look young, you probably don't "Look Sick" either, just like Me. lol
    Really, I don't look sick, but if I had to rely on my body, I know I would be in trouble.
    I also have a Blue Plaque, and I use it a lot, but I also walk as much as possible, it Helps with the pain in the Hips and my left knee.

I bought my wheelchair while on a visit to Weiser, Idaho, it's a small TOwn with a lot of Older people. I was out yardsaleing and I found a really nice one, in great condition and it's for a thin person so it dosen't take up much room, because it's not as big as the regular chairs.
    I got it at a good price. this was lasst summer.

Well I went up this Spring for a visit and when I went to the Festivies of "Fiddlers Week", I used my chair and I had a ball.
    Folks were so nice to me, they got out of the way and made room for me up front during the Parade. Then when we went to the Food/Craft alley, I used the chair, and I got to see everything.

Last year when I first bought the chair, my Hubby wouldn't push it, well this year he did, he could see the difference in my walking abilities. He's also younger than me, so I think that had a part of his not wanting to push me in the chair. ;o)

So now I am saving my money, coins, towards a "Sundancer", scooter, it's gonna be RED and my hubby, who is the Orginial "Tool Man", will no doubt Soup it up for me, there are a couple of gals around here who have scooter's, and boy do they Haul xxx, lol, so I want to be able to Beat them. lol

You can have fun with wheelchairs, decorate them, fly a flag on the back, and terrioze the kids on Bikes and Skates who usually won't get out of a Pedestrans way. Turn the table on them, as it were. Aren't I mean?

Hope you have fun at the Fair, sound's like fun, if I didn't have to wait for the Hubby to get here that weekend I might be tempted to go too. ;o)

Have a Great Sunday,
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  4. ruthiepie

ruthiepie New Member

I have used a cane for BPPV(positional vertigo)since '95....I also use the elect. carts available in the stores......the vertigo and the burning feet and pain in legs makes me a candidate for these "toys".....(forget the age...it's the condition that counts).....I also have a handicap plaque and I use it.....you can't worry about what other ppl think....your concern should be how you feel....when ppl ask why do you use a cane??...you look o.k. to me....I just smile and say...."It's all in my head, and keep going"......the major. of them don't really care anyway....so unless I know they are really sincere, I don't waste my breath on them......God Bless.....
  5. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Sorry but I already forgot your names....nothing personal, fibro moment!
    A red get-a-rounder would be too cool. Red IS my favorite color. Well, when I find a chair, small one, I'm gonna paint and fix it up with a flag, etc.....
    Hope you both have a great weekend and week.
    Very Gentle Hugs to you..... Betty
  6. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Hi Betty,
    I just bought a wheelchair yesterday, a nice hardly used one for $40. And recently turned 49 and look young for my age. The person I bought it from was surprised it was for me. Don't worry about what other people think. I had to get past that when I use the scooters at the store. I do prefer the scooters, but this will at least be something for now. I also have a car placard. I have the same symptons as you when I walk and I just couldn't take it anymore. So, get the chair and enjoy the fair! It's better than staying home all the time or being miserable.

Love,
    Harmony
  7. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Well, I'm gonna start looking around at yard sales, salvation army / thrift stores for a wheelchair. Guess I'll just DO IT. I know my body will greatly appreciate it!
    I hope you have a good day and week. Damn, started to write something else, got side tracked looking at tv (my son is watching Austin Powers Movie (eek), and when I started to type I had a sentence started with "At" but have no clue what I was gonna say. Oh well, another damn fibro moment.
    Feel Better....soft hug to you, Betty (I'm 48 and also look younger)

8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

When looking for a chair, you could call the Salvation Army and the Goodwill Industries. Will save you time going from place to place looking for one. Also the newspapers too.

Take care, and good luck!

Shalom, Shirl
  9. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I cannot walk much further than up the garden, I have been avoiding getting a chair as I was worried about other people.I now realize that if I want to be part of this world I must go in one as I am missing out, I have cfs. I have used a wheelchair on holiday and it was okay but I am not looking forward to going out in my immediate neighbourhood. I have been turned down twice for a parking badge it seems harder to get one here in UK.
    Pat.
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Don't worry about what people think!!!!!! I was in a store a couple years ago and saw a jacked-up 4WD pickup parked in a handicap spot. I had all sorts of nasty thoughts about the jerk until I saw him rolling out of the store. Both legs were amputated above the knee. He wheeled up to the truck, grabbed the side rail and pulled himself up. Pulled the chair up to him, folded it, & tossed it in the back. Was he disabled? - probably not in his opinion!
    Kathryn
  11. teach6

teach6 New Member

is sitting there waiting for me to get the lift installed. That happens on Thursday and then, watch out. I'll be able to go almost everywhere I want, when I want, and by myself! I can't wait!

Barbara