Part time work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Thee Ox, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Hi all,

This is just a hypothetical question that came up during a discussion with my friends a few days ago.

If either before or after a persons disability is granted, can that person do any kind of part time work at all just to keep what little is left of their minds a bit sharp?

What if that person gets a PT job BEFORE the decision is made - - how will that or will that actually effect the judges ruling?

Thanks all. I appreciate your answers.

Yer pal,

2. jole

jole Member

It will depend on the job...if it's a less physical job than you had before, or you went from full time to part time because you couldn't keep up.

You are allowed to work up to a certain dollar amount/month after disability has been awarded without reprocussions. Sorry, my brain isn't working too well today, but it seems like it's $700? Don't quote me on that....

Getting disability is becoming more difficult these days. You will need lots of documentation from as many different docs as possible, and lots of tests taken before you try for disability. The more the better. There's good info on this board if you look at the top of the page.

I wish you luck!!..............Jole
  3. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

Thanks Jole.

I have done all the above, and SSA has submitted my stuff to their doctors, who want mor documentation, etc. Im just so glad that my procedure has gotten this far.

Best of luck to you and thanks again for the response.

Yer pal,

PS: It's $970 a month now I think.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One has to demonstrate that one's disability makes one unable to do any kind of work. If I were waiting for a decision, I would not work, even part time.

I've been on SSD for a few years and now am able to work part time as a supermarket cashier. I believe in 2009, the limit for earnings is $980 a month before one is in danger of losing benefits. There is a very comples time line where one can attempt to work. I called SS and a very nice lady at the 1-800 number explained it to me in easy-to-understand terms.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. Thee Ox

Thee Ox New Member

for your reply.

Actually, I made a mistake. It is more of a free lance thing, not a part time thing. But that scenario has been avoided.

Yer Pal,