Passed My Physical and Bought Some Clothes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, another barrier out of the way so I can go to work. Now, if the drug test on my hair comes back clean, and it should, I'm set to go.

I stopped at a Kohl's Dept. Store on the way home. The doc's office is on the north end of town and I live down at the southern end. We don't have a Kohl's here. I wasn't impressed with the one in Denver but this one is really nice. I got two tee shirt knit tops which are a bit dressier than tee shirts, a longer skirt, and a pair of carpis. Everything was on sale. I think I now have enough clothes to wear to work. Thank God they let us wear capris. Still, we have to look nice. Actually, I find the long loose skirts very comfortable. No one wears pantyhose down here and we live year round in sandals.

I also stopped and treated myself to a nice lunch of seafood pasta with a fresh side salad. Mmmmmm! There was enough left over for another meal. It came with a big clam still in the shell on top and it was to die for.

Finally, I stopped and bought some acrylic paints and supplies. I have a big empty canvass hanging over my sofa. I've done some sketching but I've never tried painting. I hope I don't suck at it. I pretty much like abstract artwork anyway, so it's not like I have to be a grand master at it. I've been wanting to try painting forever but had so many other irons in the fire that I just didn't think I could do it. Now, with this bare wall needing a painting, I have no choice :) All that scrapbooking piling up will just have to wait.

Wishing everyone as good a day as I had.

Love, Mikie
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the whole process of passing your medical and buying clothes for your NEW job must be a great feeling for you. And your meal sounds delicious, we do NOT get the size of clams, prawns etc. that you do over there.

I started acrylic painting last year Mikie, found I had to do it outside as paints didn't agree with me. Like you, into abstracts which means my feeble painting attempts look just fine to me. I really enjoy it and am waiting for a dry day here when I'm feeling okay to get the paints out again.

It's great reading about how your life is progressing Mikie.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Elaine, I'm laughing about being a bodyguard. Think I'll have to leave the gun at home and rely on my other self-defense resources when I get off work. I won't promise I'll post my painting. We'll see.

Olivia, I answered your post. Best of luck to you. I am starting a new part-time job but the first four weeks are full-time training.

Rosie, glad you are enjoying painting. I really need creative outlets and I've pretty much done all the redecorating in here that I can do. Have you posted any of your pictures? I'd like to see them and I'll bet others would too.

Love, Mikie
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

On getting the Job and all the fun your having preparing for it! You sound very Happy!,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,Sis
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

I am so happy for you to be able to take this on. I hope you "cut" a good deal with the glass guys. Do you get free window service if needed :)

I use to shop at Kohls some when I lived in Richmond, VA. Love Marshalls and TJ Max.

I use to wear suites and nice dresses, I was right arm for 3 presidents of different business's the last 12 years I worked. Glad you have a relaxed dress code.

How is your son, any improvement in his Lyme treatment.

Just wanted to wish you well, I take it we won't see you around much for a awhile while you are adjusting to your new schedule? Just know we are all rootin for you-Carla
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You know I'm so happy for you, getting the new job, the clothes to go with it and I'm pretty sure you'll get an A on your drug test too, but....

Can I go to lunch with you next time??????????

Nancy B
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm totally impressed.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sis, I have had a good time getting clothes rounded up. Now, I really need to clean out my closet.

Carla, this is our first Kohl's store and it is much nicer than the old one I went to in Denver. Everything was on sale a huge discounts.

Nancy, I wish we could have lunch together. I don't eat out much this time of year. When the Snowbirds come down, we go out more. This place is like a ghost town in the middle of summer.

Julie, I hope you can get to where you can go back to work too. It's taken me six years to get to this point and I'll only be working part time after training. I post because I do want people to know what is possible and not to give up hope, no matter how long it takes.

Thank you, Marta. I appreciate your kindness. Y'all have been such support for me here. I'll let you know how it's going.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, you are right. A lot of what hurts us is more than pain and fatigue; it's loss of control of our lives. Obviously, we can't control everything but losing control of paying our bills is a biggie. Just being able to come and go is another big one.

I think we all have our own ideas of the benchmarks which will signify we are healing. For me, one of the big ones is being able to work part time. I don't think I'll need to work full time nor do I really want to. I've tried to get myself ready to work part time for a long time but every time I did, I got sick. I finally prayed and asked God if this has been a sign that I am not meant to work again. I decided to try once more and so far, it's going well. Of course, the proof will come when I actually start to work. Perhaps it's not that I'm not supposed to work; it may be the timing of it. I wasn't ready before but I hope I am now.

I will pass another big benchmark when I can ski with my grandson. I still have a couple of years before he won't think it's cool to ski with GumGum (Andyspeak for Grandma :) Also, if he's like his parents, he will be hitting the difficult slopes and I'll never do that again. Heck, I didn't like skiing them in my heyday.

My energy level isn't what I ultimately want it to be but it's better than it used to be. I'll take what progress I can. I know that progress is agonizingly slow with CFIDS. Still, progress is progress. I know I'll need rest days in between work days. That's why I think part time is ideal. If I can just get through the first four weeks of full time training, it should work out well.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Enjoy the classes. I love school. My degree is in business and I've always felt that I didn't get the humanities classes and education I would love to have. I did take a couple of night classes in Spanish and Italian but in both cases, I got sick and had to drop them. I do think it helps us to keep learning all our lives.

Thanks for your good wishes and my best to you and hubby.

BTW, Andy not only talks, he talks in complete sentences. The boy is a genius :)

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My kids thought I'd do well as an air marshal. Oh, Lord, flying is hard enough these days without having to be on a plane for hours and days on end. I'm too old anyway for any kind of police/military type stuff. My kids like to tease me, kinda like you guys here :) If y'all only knew how peace loving I am. I hope I never have to defend myself but if I do, I'm about as prepared as I can be.

Yes, part time work is hard to find but down here in Retirement Land, it is popular. Old folks don't need benefits and they aren't looking to get rich. Good thing because jobs down here done pay much.

I just cleaned out my closet and gave away all my old professional clothes. Hardly anyone wears that stuff down here any more. It's gotten much more casual. I was thrilled to learn we can wear nice capri pants. I just happened to hit the sales at the right time to get some new things really cheap. I needed them because I just wear old shorts and tees around the condo.

Good luck to everyone looking for some kind of work. I think I really happened to luck out. Thanks for your good wishes. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Love, Mikie
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So glad that you passed your test and even got to buy yourself some clothes. Yes, you also said my favorite word "SALE" . Then that really makes me feel good when I get it at a good discount.

Congrats again Mikie on landing the job and this chance for you to get some $ and also being able to get out and feel good about yourself. I say every little bit helps, for me too, for sure. I forgot what you said you would be doing exactly.

Sorry if I missed some of the other posts. I think I also wrote you you on another thread and somehow it didn't take. That is nothing new for me. Probably pushed the wrong button.

Lots of good luck to you and when do you start?

God bless and lots of big warm hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2007]
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate all your sweet good wishes. I start on Mon. and it's going to be part time, but I have to do four weeks of full time training. If I can make it through that, I should have no problem working part time. It's customer service, all incoming calls and no sales involved.

I just got such a good feeling from the place and the employees. The seem to really put people through intense screening and it shows. The employees are a cut above a lot of the call centers. It's a big company with federal govt. contracts and that is why they do the screening. The HR woman told me they have really nice people working there. They all seemed very friendly and happy. I think you can tell a lot from just looking around when you go in. Can you tell that I'm excited? I'll post after a few days to let y'all know how it's going.

I need this on several levels. The money will really help, I enjoy having coworkers to interact with, and if I can do it, I will have reached a benchmark I've fought so very hard to achieve. Six years ago, when I was in bed most of the time, on morphine for the pain, and so fogged I could barely walk from one end of the condo to the other, I would never have guessed this day would come. I'm very blessed.

Love, Mikie
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, you are VERY blessed from coming from where you were. I feel every little thing we can do is a blessing. As others may not be able to do anything or very little. As bad as I feel most times I just try to keep a positive attitude and try to be thankful that it isn't worse . There is also the HOPE that things will get much better too !!!

I find that complaining and whining gets people no where, others don't want to hear it AND it doesn't do any good anyway. So, why bother and waste your time. Plus, I think it also tares you down emotionally when you (or whoever) does it alot.

Again., God bless you and lots of good luck in your new job. It sounds wonderful !

Big warm hugs,

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I hold high hopes for, at least, better treatments, and possibly a cure.

I have never been able to really complain. The man downstairs had Type I Diabetes. When I moved in, he was on dialysis; that was 10 years ago. He had already had one leg amputated. He was always sweet, happy, and polite. He had to have the stint for his dialysis moved a lot and he had several surgeries to try to save his "good" leg. Finally, he had to have that leg amputated too and give up driving. His eyes were failing and when he died this year, he was blind. Even to the end, he was a lovely man. His sister and BIL moved in to care for him and they are lovely people too. Both of them have cancer and numerous other problems. They lost their daughter to an accident and had to raise their granddaughter. These are only the problems I know about. Their lives have been so tragic. Even so, they are kind and decent people who have never lost their faith in God.

What an inspiration for me as I struggled with my own illnesses.

My daughter, who is studying to be a nurse, works part time for a companion agency. She is caring for a man who fell and hit his head and neck. He has lost the ability to use his limbs even thought he isn't technically paralyzed. He was a successful atty. and he and his wife were planning on retiring to Tuscany. His life, and hers, changed in an instant. He can do nothing for himself. They have lost all privacy in their lives as the caregivers and therapists are coming and going all the time. He has no privacy as he can't bathe himself or do any personal tasks.

When I look at the tremendous burdens some people have to endure, I really do feel blessed. These people are my personal heroes and I have such respect for them.

Sorry to go on so. I just hope anyone else reading this will feel a bit blessed too.

Love, Mikie
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you! Yes, sometimes we go through so much that it makes us stronger.

Love, Mikie
  17. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

good for you and wish you heaps of everything great in this exciting time for you.....

enjoy, enjoy and dont get too stressed.......

angel hugzzzzzzzzz