passive smoking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mirabai, Feb 25, 2003.

1. mirabai

mirabai New Member

I have had CFIDS/fibromyalgia for 7 years now, and though I am slowly improving it is still very much up and down.
    I am a non smoker with an aversion/sensitivity to other peoples smoke. Sometimes I visit friends who chain-smoke all day and I feel terrible the next day - sore throat, flu-like symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this or know of an article that I could show my friends?
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

We have a lot of sensitives, so I'm guessing that this could cause problems for a lot of people.

I'm not sure what you will get out of showing your friends an article. You may want to let them know that you love visiting them, but you get sick from the smoke. Maybe you guys can compromise. Make a suggestion that when you come to visit maybe you can meet in an outdoors setting if it's possible.

Laura
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

*KNOW* the dangers, and apparently they think they are immortal. My husband has been smoking on the sly for several years, since he was supposed to stop after his heart attack. He just had a recent scare, and it's been 2 weeks since he's smoked. He is NOT allowed to smoke in the house, no one is; actually he knows better than to let me catch him smoking, period! LOL
    I have a similar reaction when I breathe in second hand smoke. In addition, my eyes burn and water and my sinuses block up and I get a headache; on top of that, I have asthma and sometimes the smoke affects that.
    I can't stand to go to the types of places I used to just because of the smoke.

Karen
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My husband and I are both non-smokers, but every Thursday night he & a childhood buddy go listen to blues music in a smoky lounge. I don't begrudge him this at all----neither he nor the buddy drink, they eat barbecue & drink water all evening & have a great time, but he comes home reeking of cigarette smoke!

I think I'm definitely more sensitive to this since FM.... I don't like it either!! And I swear each week it seems worse.

What kills me is how you can be driving behind the car of a smoker with your windows rolled up and STILL smell it, as if the person was sitting beside you!

I don't have any answers; smoking is such a tough addiction, and having never smoked, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to try to quit this habit. I don't have friends who smoke, so I don't deal with that issue. I don't know if you could broach the subject with your friends, such as to politely ask if they'd be willing to have cigarette breaks outdoors (or when weather's good, visit outdoors where there's at least a breeze) while you're there---you could let them know how you are slowly improving & cautiously optimistic about your progress & are trying in every way to minimize setbacks. It probably depends on the kind of friendships you have, how willing they are to listen, etc.

Anyway, good luck----I can empathize with you!

Hugs,
    Pam

5. mirabai

mirabai New Member

Thank you all for your support; it's good to know it is not just me being over-sensitive. Does anyone know of any studies though that do show that we are at risk of long-term harm from smoke inhalation.
    Cheers, Mirabai
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Thank you for presenting another point of view, and reminding all of us that there are always two sides---at least!---to every story. You brought up good points. Some of us are so allergic to smoke (and I mean, allergic, as opposed to being just annoyed by smoke) that we tend to forget that we have options like staying out of smoke-filled situations. Maybe Mirabai could still have a phone & e-mail relationship with her friends rather than so much face to face contact.

Thanks for the other side,
    Pam

[ advertisement ]