Patient files

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scotlandrose, Jun 9, 2011.

1. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

I am having a great deal of trouble getting my records from the ATL FFC office. They don't even answer the phone, least not while I have been trying.

I know they will charge me a stupid fee, but it is my legal right to those records right? If so, any suggestions? Since I live in the area, i thought about going around the time they would open, and when i see anyone go in the door, i will run in after them and not leave till I get the records. Bad idea?

Thanks very much for your suggestions and advice in advance!

Scotland Rose
  2. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

It is your legal right to get all of the medical records on you. Whether you need more than the labs is another question. I recently got some very old records from a doctor, because my current ins. wouldn't pay for me to see him. The office would have charged $25 to mail then, but offered to fax them free. I don't remember if the fax option was only to another doctor, as I have no way to receive a fax.
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

You absolutely have a right to them. I had a copy of my medical file from the US Military, until some schmuck stole them, not sure what they wanted with them, but I had a copy of every single item in the file. I currently have a copy of every medical file from every medical professional I have ever parted ways with. You never know when you will need them. I just had an EEG and my copies from a neurologist I had over 15 years ago were very helpful for the neurologist.

Yes, the DR has the right to charge you, and they will sometimes charge you an arm and a leg, but they are YOUR files and they have no right to keep the file from you. Period.

Doctors, along with all other medical professionals, work FOR you. You pay them for a service. Remember this.
  4. hopabout

hopabout New Member

I think these days that people don't value their jobs they way they should at all, offices are way understaffed because of the economy and there are way more patients than people to serve them. With all that said, let me tell you what I would do.

I would send a formal request for your records.
    Name, address, zip code. phone number in larger letters,
    Your birthdate. Social security number may be of help also.

I would say that you have an appointment on a certain date (make one up ... 1 month)
    and that you would like to have your medical records of whatever events as soon as possible.
    Be sure and note the date the record was made, the doctor in charge and where it was done.

Now that you have all that information in a nice formal letter.
    Don't just mail it, send it certified return receipt requested.
    Make on the envelope URGENT and put Medical records.

Also add in the letter,IF there is a charge for my medical records
    please telephone me immediately and I will make arrangements for payment.

You cannot do better than that.
    Now days, you can actually track stuff like that online. You can see when
    it is delivered wow. So, then you call them, as soon as you know its delivered
    and say I sent an urgent request for medical records and I see you have received it.
    I have tried to reach you by phone but that is not working. Please fill my request as soon as possible.

and Sign your name.
    IF you have not gotten it in a week or heard from them.
    Do it again..... this time 2nd request on letter and envelope in RED.

5. quanked

quanked Member

scotlandrose--not sure if you are in the USA or not. In the USA a patient has the right to a copy of their entire file with only one exception I can recall--communications to your dr. about you from other sources outside of your provider's practice. These types of communications are owned by the practice not you. If one wants copies of these communications one can seek copies from originating source.

The above was true when I was working as mental health clinician about 10 or so years ago.