Patient in our state receiving marijuana for FMS What a surprise!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by IntuneJune, Apr 2, 2008.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I did not know this was available in my State. Last night, there was a brief segment on physician-prescribed, legal marijuana for patients dealing with pain on our local news in Rhode Island.

Three patients were interviewed, one has fibromyalgia.

It was an interesting segment. When looking at two "meds" side by side, OxyContin and marijuana, and their potential hazards, certainly marijuana appeared the lesser threat.

Also last night my husband and I had to make the difficult decision for our dear friend, a German Shepherd, 13 years old. She has cancer of the neck which has involved her head also. Last night I had been on the phone with the vet who will come to the house.

She stated she could come Thursday night. We could not make a decision on the phone, but I called her back this morning. I posted this on the "chit-chat" as we are really broken up over it.

I did not want to forget, though, about the marijuana.... and my dear friend is sleeping, a state she is more comfortable in, we will go for a short walk later... but is she wants to sleep, I must let her.

So I could not take in the news broadcast fully. Maybe someone else saw it and could comment further. It might have been a pilot program but again my mind was on more pressing matters.

Please say a prayer for us, we are going to have such a difficult time with our decision. Any coping skills would be appreciated, please see post on the chit-chat message board.

Love, June

[This Message was Edited on 04/03/2008]
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

In Canada, I've also heard about the pill form which is supposed to work wonders with MS patients and I'm sure it would help us.

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved German Shephard. 13 years is a good age for such a large breed. I'm sure she's had a wonderful life with you and your husband. You'll do what's best for your dear friend. Don't have any regrets.

I will be thinking of you. We have four cats and a small dog. He is 16 this year and going blind. They are our family as our kids are grown and have left the nest. I know the day will be coming soon when we have to say farewell to "Timmy", but I do take solace that he has been a much loved and much spoiled little dog.

All the best

Eileen
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Eileen, thank you. Our children are grown, we have a son, DIL and three beautiful grandchildren in Ohio. It was so hard when they moved away. Our middlle son is on his second tour of Iraq, when he returns he will have logged almost 2 1/2 years there. Our youngest son is married and lives in our state.

If we want to see our grandchildren, we are the ones who need to travel. Also our Army guy will next be stationed overseas and we are planning to visit him. We will not make good pet owners for quite a number of years.

There is not pet that could replace our dear Shepherd, she was so zoned in on guarding us. She perched herself in front of the sliding glass door, where she is sleeping now.

Thank you for sharing your kind words, it helps.

Fondly, June

4. poets

poets Member

First I want to say I'm so sorry about your German Shepherd, and I agree too, that animals go to heaven. I love the poem Rainbow Bridge. That says it so well. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. It's tough I know. I've been there quite a few times myself. Please give your dog a gentle hug from me.

Having had a "little" experience with marijuana, I can honestly
    say it was the ONLY time I really didn't feel much pain. If I could get it legally, I'd try it. Anything for a chance at relief.

Gentle hugs, and Prayers,
    Meg
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My mother tried the pill form in Canada for her FM but it didn't help. She is now on Fentanyl.
  6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Given the controversy over using marijuana "medically" I am a little surprised over the choice of the three candidates that were chosen to be interviewed.

Each patient had a different condition, HIV, MS, fibromyalgia.

Given for intractable pain no other relived by conventional meds, these patients were receiving marijuana. Does that no ligitimize FMS pain?

Thank you, posters above, sorry, I have forgotten your names right now but not your words...... she is deep in sleep again but had been very alert and peppy for the past few hours, so unlike yesterday.

June

7. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

June, your devotion comes shining through. They wag their goofy selves into the very centers of our spirits and hearts, don't they? My girl, Kimi, was at my side for almost 20 years. Sometimes, though it's been almost 4 years since she went to Heaven, I can still see her out of the corner of my eye when I'm standing at the kitchen counter, 2 feet to my left, waiting patiently for me to share with her. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your girl.

Glad there's more out there about the medicinal benefits of MJ. I, too, would prefer having it than some of the narcotic meds which don't really work and which leave me personally so much more weak and exhausted.

Peace and Gentle Hugs,
    RsW
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I started a post on this a couple of months ago and the mods deleted it. Maybe they're realizing it helps some patients.

There was a great short video that Drew Carey made regarding this subject. He shows how even tho the state of CA says med MJ is legal, the feds can still bust the shops that fill the prescriptions.

He stands on a sidewalk where he can see a bar and liquor store where you can buy alcohol (legal and potentially deadly) and a Starbucks where you can get your legal buzz from caffeine.....and then there was the pharmacy that you can go get prescription MJ. The pharmacies can be raided at anytime by the Fed drug cops, but all the other establishments are home free.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJr8V-jU7b4

I occasionally partake in a small "dose" of MJ, but I don't have a prescription. I've never asked my dr about it, kind of a touchy subject. I have always believed MJ is not as dangerous as alcohol can be. I never liked to drink for various reasons, but have always enjoyed the effects of MJ. Not that I was ever a habitual user, but since teen yrs it's always been around.

I personally know it helps me relax and helps me get to sleep if I'm having trouble sleeping. I don't have severe pain w FM, so I'm not one to vouch for the pain relieving properties. It does seem to wake up my brain activity at times tho, has helped w just getting my thoughts moving again. With brain fog and depression clouding my mind, sometimes I feel like I'm brain dead!

If there is a naturally occurring substance that can help people feel better, then people should be able to use it IMO. Oh well, let the Drs keep handing out all the man-made drugs.....it's really insane sometimes.

Sorry for the rant, but even before I was sick I've always thought that MJ should be legal. I've seen so many people drunk and out of control and addicted to alcohol, it can be such a dangerous substance.

June, I am so saddened by your story about your sweet dog. It breaks my heart to even think of losing one of my pets, they're like my children. I have a 12 yr old Border/Aussie mix that is getting crippled w arthritis and other old age issues. I just love her to pieces and I know that someday soon I will have to make the same dreaded decision that you are. My heart goes out to you and yours.

xxxooo Hermit

9. raven5000

raven5000 New Member

Dear June,
    I know what a hard decision you are facing. I lost my "big boy" (pug) on March 10. He was only 11. Luckily, he had only been suffering a few days. I took him to vet and she gave him pills to try to clear up his lungs. He only got worse over the weekend and he died, in my arms, where I was able to say goodbye and send him up to my Dad where he can play with Ming, who we had to make the decision to "put down" last yr, and sit on my Dad's lap until I get there. My heart is still breaking but he comes to me in my dreams and feel lucky that I was with him till the end. My heart goes out to you in this very difficult time.

As far as medical marijuana is concerned, I completely agree with the poster who was "ranting" about the dangers of alcohol vs the dangers of marijuana. It is such a "mellow" way to go and nowhere near as dangerous as the manmade narcotics. It DOES help with pain, sleep and attitude. There are times that I am in so much pain and so tired that I lose hope and cannot deal with seeing into the future for myself. Marijuana immediately "snaps" me out of that depression. I don't dare ask my doctor for a prescription as I'm on medicaid/medicare (can never remember which one is the "welfare" one) and they don't even want to prescribe "real" painkillers as they are not a long term solution. But what about the times that are soooo bad??? I need SOMETHING to get me through those "attacks".

your's opinionatedly,
    Raven!
  10. GingerSnapsBack

GingerSnapsBack New Member

Isn't this interesting. The problem in the USA is that you have 2-tiers of criminal law, federal and state. I know this jurisdictional overlap creates problems when it comes to the use of medical marjuana. The Canucks only have one criminal law at the federal level.

Later today I will do some research about the use of of medical marajuana in FM patients. I will look to see what Canada does, and as many other countries as I can find information on. Thanks for posting this fascinating thread.

And I am sooooo sorry about your doggy. Just reading what you wrote had my eyes welling up with tears, I so love animals and understand your heartbreaking pain.

CC