PatPalmer, Tansy, and Anyone..... Re: Sea Salt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Godslove, May 31, 2003.

1. Godslove

Godslove New Member

I read with great interest the article on sea salt. I would certainly like to look into it a little further.

My question is.. where do you buy it? Is there a particular brand name that you prefer? I searched the internet but my brain just won't allow me to concentrate right now.

I also would appreciate any help you could give me in regards to how much to use and what brand to buy, etc.

Peaceful Blessings,
    Wanda
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I take a quarter of a teaspoon of Sea Salt throughout the day. I also drink half my body weight in OUNCES of water everyday. I keep it in bottles so I don't forget to drink it.

The Sea Salt, I use two different brands. One is; 'Redmond' Real Salt. Its has nothing but salt in it. I get it at a health food store.

The other is; Alessi' also nothing added, this comes from the grocery store. It has a self grinder on the top(like a litte pepper mill). Both of these are coarse sea salt.

There are other brands, but these two are what I use.

Hope this helps you get started.........

Shalom, Shirl

3. tansy

tansy New Member

I see Shirl has given you some brand names and good advice. Can't really add to that. Pat Palmer and I live in the UK so can't be as helpful on specific brands to buy.

Just make sure it really is natural sea salt, probably best bought from a health store rather than a food chain.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2003]
  4. Godslove

Godslove New Member

I really appreciate the information..I'll be checking it out.

Do you use the same amount of sea salt as you would regular salt? Do you take a quarter of a teaspoon of sea salt in addition to whatever you may use for cooking?

Thanks for your help!

Hope and Peace,
    Wanda
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

All you basically need is the quarter teaspoon a day in total, but it doesn`t matter if you go over that as the kidneys flush out any excess, - so it`s not stored in the system as you may suspect.
    But having said that, in hot weather you may need more...

The article says you may not want quite as much as you did with regular table salt, - just a matter of taste really.

I buy mine from the health store, comes in flakes, & dirt cheap too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

Love Pat.

6. tansy

tansy New Member

Pat was right about increasing salt in hot weather. It's been hot and humid here, got more foot cramps yesterday which reminded me to double my salt intake. Drinking even more water now, feel like it's my companion, goes everywhere with me. Like Shirl I have small drinks of it all the time. By the end of the day I've had at least, if not more, than the recommended amount.

Doing it this way it seems more a way of life than a chore.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The only salt that I use in the kitchen is Sea Salt. I keep the store kind for cleaning or 'company' that thinks I am nuts!

I do the quarter teaspoon during the day, and don't worry about the amount that I get from my food or that I add to food. It could not be that much anyway.

Like others said, if the weather is hot just add a little more to your food if you like salt, and drink additiional water.

My urine went from very dark to pale yellow after I started drinking the water and taking the extra salt.

If you have colored toilets (like I do, green and blue here), you have to check it using a white container every now and then.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Hain, for example, which comes from polluted waters. I really LOVE a brand called "Lima," and you can find it in Whole Foods. Its almost wet, and you use much less of it than you would the regular sea salt. Don't get me wrong, I also use Hain, but Lima is my prefernce. There are many types of French Atlantic salts, so don't just look for Lima brand.

Hope this helps,
    Annette