Patrick Kennedy--Here We Go Again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 5, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, another well-know personality is going public with his addiction to pain meds. On the one hand, it is good to increase awareness of addiction problems, but it can sure make it difficult for those of us who don't abuse pain meds to get them. If only our illnesses got the same press as famous addicts do.

Kennedy got addicted to cocaine as a teenager so his addictions aren't limited to pain meds. This is Teddy Kennedy's son and I can't remember whether he is the one who lost his leg to cancer as a young teenager. In any case, I hope this doesn't cause docs to withhold ligitimately needed pain meds because of the addictions of a few like Kennedy and Rush Limbaugh. We don't need this.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2006]
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

I'm from New England, Mass specifically, even though the incident happened in RI we all heard a lot about it here. Booze was involved too. Kennedy also said he had taken Ambien which may or may not be true, I found that ironic thinking back on some of the posts we've had here about Ambien and also having personal experience with it.

No you're right, we don't need it, it is bad press for those of us who do not abuse our pain medications and rely on them to have some quality to our already limited lives.

The police did nothing (which my husband found particularly reprehensible since he is a police sergeant) and Kennedy was driven home and not charged with anything, and now he is going back into rehab and is whining about his addictions.

When does it end?

Michelle
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

That was one of the first things that I thought of also Mikie....

I wish him luck (recovery) no matter what is the cause of this incident......

Rush sounded as if he did not believe the drug could do that. I know it can because of the previous postings here.A skunk calling another skunk a stinker! But I have no idea if this was his problem or not.

It is unfair have more doubters out there on pain meds....
    and more Dr. and laws to tighten prescriptions on same.
  4. borntired

borntired New Member

There are two boys and a girl, Patrick has both his legs. The other brother lost his because of Cancer when he was young.

5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Patrick is on anti-depressants, and then they put him on Ambien, and they are beginning to report all kinds of car driving, eating, night walking, going jogging, etc. while under Ambien.

Additionally, any moron doctor who gave him PHENERGAN, WHEN HE WAS ON AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT AND AMBIEN IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

PHENERGAN IS AN OLD DRUG, AND SEDATING AS ALL GET OUT, AND SHOULDN'T BE USED ANYMORE. RECENTLY, I HAD A SEVERE REACTION TO THE PHOSPHO WHICH SOME PEOPLE USE FOR COLON PREPARATION FOR COLONOSCOPIES (THE KEY HERE IS DON'T TAKE IT, THERE HAVE BEEN DEATHS FROM THE STUFF) AND I VOMITED AND HAD DIARRHEA FOR THREE DAYS, AND HAD TO GO TO THE ER TO BE REHYDRATED.

They tried to give me PHERNERGAN, AND I TOLD THEM TO STICK IT. THE DOCTOR SAID I HAVE USED IT FOR 30 YEARS, AND I SAID, YEAH, WELL, I AM A NURSE ANESTHETIST AND THERE ARE MUCH, MUCH BETTER DRUGS FOR VOMITING THAT AREN'T SEDATING, LIKE ZOPHRAM, AND I GOT ZOPHRAM. DOCTORS WILL USE STUFF BECAUSE THEY HAVE USED IT FOR 30 YEARS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT THE DRUG THAT SHOULD BE USED.

Then, obviously, Patrick may be addicted to the Ambien and need to get off it and to change his anti-depressant as well. Let's FACE IT, YOU NEED TO BE HOSPITALIZED TO COME OFF EITHER, ESPECIALLY EFFEXOR AND SOME OF THE OTHERS AND ONTO ANOTHER, AND WE ARE PHYSICALLY ADDICTED TO THEM.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM - TRY THE WITHDRAWAL AT HOME. IT AIN'T PRETTY.

I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO GO TO MAYO AND CHANGE FROM EFFEXOR. I THINK IT IS THE WISE THING TO DO.

Besides, from every view, HE WASN'T GOING TO FIVE DIFFERENT DOCTORS AND GETTING EIGHT TIMES THE MAXIMUM DOSAGE OF OXYCONTIN AND GOING DEAF FROM IT, LIKE RUSH LIMBAUGH WHILE SAYING THAT ALL PEOPLE ADDICTED TO DRUGS SHOULD BE SHOT, LIKE LIMBAUGH WAS.

All of us can become dependent on things, and then have some moron doc put us on the wrong thing and get involved in things.

6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right. Patrick and the other children really had a great role model. Yeah right ! I forget the name of the child who lost his leg. I think it was either Edward or Teddy Jr. Somehow Edward sticks in my mind but I am not sure.

I am not going to go on about this as I will really get upset. So many of the younger people do not remember what Sen. Ted Sr. actually did or should I say didn't do. I will not elaborate any more or I might get thrown off the list.

The whole thing is really very sad. I hope it doesn't make it harder for us to get our pain meds when we need it.

Blessings and soft hugs,

Marilyn (that granni)
  7. mainerose

mainerose New Member

i am mainerose and i wrote earler about my recent situation with the doctors. this issue sucks!!!!!!!!
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

devoted to alcohol and drug addiction. Of course Kennedy was a main topic but Bob Shipero sp? from OJ's trial and his wife were also on as well as clips from other stars. They never ONCE mentioned chronic pain patients who start taking the medications FOR PAIN and who would have NO LIFE enjoyment or ability to function without them.

I feel badly for Kennedy and for anyone that has problems with drugs or alchohol, but mostly they start taking them to escape like, not to live it..unlike chronic pain patients, who have NO life before the medications.

Larry King was followed by that Anderson guy's show and it was an extension of the same subjects. I don't see a thing wrong with the media doing stories on drug and alchohol addiction, but they should have to give equal time to true pain
    patients and say places like the American Association of Pain Medicine. There are other organizations also who could do some serious education about the use of pain medications when used for the right reasons.

You're so right that it will make it
    so much harder on not only us, but the doctors as well. The statistics they gave on Larry King as to how many young people and others in this
    country who are addicted to "some" thing are chilling. But it is NOT the same thing. Someone who represents chronic pain patients, including those dying of cancer who cannot get
    pain relief, should be on those shows or on shows by themselves to give the public both sides.

It made my stomach crawl when I heard what Larry King's subject was. He is SO brainwashed into thinking that the
    ONLY ones who use pain medications are addicts out to escape living. In his position he could educate SO many on the other side of the coin, and he should be doing that also!
  9. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

back to rehab!

guess what...no one can interview him in rehab.... betcha pappie gave him that advice (rehab son and stay outta site til the press forgets)

Folks, I personally think it is time we stopped forgetting of all the short comings of elected officials, who are sittin on fat salaries, and start remembering this constant fleecing of citizens when it comes our time to vote again!

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was not to turn this into anything political. I also am sympathetic to those with addictions. But, as was pointed out above, the other side of the story never gets told. No one wants to hear that there are people in so much pain that they would not want to live without the relief that pain meds give them. Few people understand that when used responsibly for chronic pain, pain meds almost never provide a high; they just relieve the pain. I'm not saying that people don't get hooked on their pain meds, but true phychological addiction represents a very small portion of those on meds for chronic pain. I wish anyone well who is dealing with addiction and anyone who is withdrawing from physical dependence on medication. I am very slowly weaning off my Klonopin. I'm not addicted to it but going off of it cold turkey would be horrible.

Montel is about the only celeb who talks about this issue from the perspective of those who need pain meds to live. I'm sure he will be doing a show on this following Kennedy's situation. Perhaps we could write to Larry King and ask him to invite Montel on his show to give the other side of the story. Think I'll go do that now.

Love, Mikie
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

mikie:
    When I first heard the reports he was claiming it was from Ambien 'sleepwalking', then it was Ambien and Phenegran, but he wouldn't admit publically to pain killers, so the newspeople knew the whole story said 'addiction to pain killers'.

I think that made it worse. His lies.

nyrofan
  12. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I will forego all the negative comments I could make about the entire issue except for the one thing I can't seem to shake...

In his crybaby 'speech' yesterday, he referred to 'addiction' and 'depression' as DISEASES!!!

Whoever wrote his speech did a terrible job not to mention going overboard on that reference...He looked like a politician with an addiction to pain meds, nothing more, nothing less...I have NO sympathy for the little rich boy and think he shouldn't be in his position of power UNTIL he fixes the rest of his life...

My husband and I have discussed the WHAT IF's of this event also...WHAT IF he hit a human-being instead of a barricade?! Oh, I forgot, he's a Kennedy...Free Pass no matter what he does...Go to rehab Patrick and don't come out til you are DRUG-FREE..PERIOD, end of story.

13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

they said no information beyond the Ambien was given on WHAT he was taking. But when he said he didnt' remember getting up or being pulled over, I can at least imagine he was telling the truth. Ambien is an amnesia causing medication, which is why they say don't take it until you are ready to go right to bed and sleep eight hours.

The guests on Larry King were talking about having "black outs" on pain medications..I suppose that is possible though I'd never heard of that except with alcohol. But back to the point and the only one that matters is the fact that (as someone said above) people who take pain medications FOR PAIN don't get "high" and the don't have "black outs" that I've ever heard of.

All it does is make a person pain free enough to function and live a fairly normal life..where before pain medications those with severe pain have NO life outside of suffering. They are not talking about going after the "dealers" who are providing the medications to people who are just out to get "high". Only that so many more people are on pain medications now and the doctors who are prescribing them OVER prescribing.

That is the biggest slap I see. The FACT is that most people in chronic severe pain can't get ANY pain medication for relief. They need to point out the FM patients Kavorkian had and many who have committed the unspeakable on their own when they couldn't stand the pain any longer.

They like to talk about people who had surgery or something that caused
    short term pain and then they stay on the medication past the time they have recovered. What they DON'T mention is people who do not get OVER pain that is chronic or those dying of cancer who remain under or not treated for their pain. OR the fact that different people have different levels of pain, so when they talk about doses being too high, they are assuming that the same amount of a medication would be "adequate" for all patients with the same illnesses.
    It's all messed up!
  14. justlooking

justlooking New Member

A news report was issued yesterday that he admitted he had become addicted to prescription pain meds again. He was in rehab for the same addiction over the Christmas break from his job.

When he got out of rehab last time he made a statement letting his constituents know he had been in rehab for an addiction to prescription pain meds and that he was now clean and a new and improved person.

This latest incident shows he relapsed. Per his media statement yesterday he has had an ongoing problem with addiction since he was a teenager and has gotten clean several times and relapsed.

He is also on antidepressants, he suffers from BiPolar. Also per his statement he said this accident was a direct result of the pain medication addiction and that he was going into rehab because it scared him so badly as he didn't remember ANYTHING from that night, including the crash and the police intervention. The police did not arrest him or issue him any citation, they merely took him home.

No drug or alcohol test was taken and had the media not broken this story it is unlikely anything would have been said or done about it. It would have been swept under the rug as if it never happened.

Its unfortunate that despite his ongoing drug issues he is allowed to continue to represent our country and make decisions for his constituents and all Americans. It isn't a partisan issue, anyone who has continuing problems with illegal activity should not be able to make decision for you and me when he can't even make good decisions for himself.

Just My Opinion based on the facts as they were released from HIS own media people.

edited to space the paragraphs =)[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2006]
  15. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Recently, because of the Rush Limbaugh settlement, I had a heated debate with a friend who is financially well-off. He completely disagreed with my statement that the very wealthy, famous, or politically-connected are usually treated preferentially by law enforcement and the judicial system.

Along comes the Patrick Kennedy incident and, to me, it is another example of this double-standard all over again.

In addition, incidents like this just reinforce the misguided public perception that one's pain meds are responsible for one's behavior - not the person taking them.

It would be interesting to know how many chronic pain patients in this country use narcotic pain meds without an addiction problem - my guess is that there are plenty. They don't willfully break the law or get behind the wheel of a car when impaired...so we never hear about them.

No one should be denied a chance at sobriety but it just seems to come a lot easier for those with a famous name.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't want to take anything away from people who have addictions. When people take a substance which hits the pleasure center of their brains, they can become instantly addicted. For others, it becomes a way to escape reality over time. There are different kinds of addiction modes. What people need to realize is that we are all responsible for our own behavior. If we have addiction problems, no matter how difficult it is and it is difficult, we need to get sober, get therapy, and stay away from situations and substances which are unhealthy. Addicts will come up with all kinds of excuses for what they do, including the one that it's a disease. Well, even if it is, it needs to be treated.

When the rich and famous get caught, it is fodder for the tabloids and television. People love to get the goods on those in positions of power and those who seem to have charmed lives. For others, it is outrage which resonates with them. In either case, it sells.

What doesn't sell is people with chronic pain needing meds which are used responsibly. We have disease, illness, and symptoms too but we are often unable to get treatments which we seek as responsible individuals, just trying to function and contribute to our families and society. If we were addicts, treatment would be freely given. We are unable to act responsibly because we cannot do it alone and our docs are scared to death by the DEA looking over their shoulders. Every incident, like the Kennedy incident, just reinforces their fear--fear of the Feds and fear of the meds.

Y'all know I'm a big fan of the Guai Protocol because it has worked so well for my pain; however, were it not for the Morphine, I could not have waited until the Guai kicked in enough so that I no longer needed to take the Morphine on an ongoing basis (about a year). I thank God for the doc who was willing to prescribe it to relieve my horrible pain. I also thank God for this board where people reassured me that it was OK to take opiods for chronic pain.

Love, Mikie

17. justlooking

justlooking New Member

You brought up a good point...
    I haven't heard anything about Patrick Kennedy being a chronic pain patient, just that he is addicted to pain medication so I'm going to assume he was getting the medication for abuse not pain control...with that said

I'll bet money that the Dr who has been prescribing him pain medications will not be investigated for prescribing all of these medications to him, however good pain management Drs all over the US will be harassed by the DEA for prescribing medications to REAL pain patients as a result of this.

SAD isn't it?
    Sincerely
    JL
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just e-mailed Larry King about this issue and asked him to invite Montel to his show. Guess I should e-mail Montel and suggest he do it as well as another show of his own on pain management.

This morning, CNN did a short feature on the Kennedys and their addictions. Addictions often do run in families. Patrick evidently started out with Cocaine early on. So many addicts get started in their early teen years with alcohol and/or street drugs. Of course, with relatives who use and all the money in the world to try drugs, it's probably even more attractive. Joan Kennedy has an addiction to alcohol, so this kid had it on both sides.

The docs who are prescribing too many pain meds should be held accountable too but good docs should not be afraid of witch hunts from the Feds. My opinion is that the war on illegal drugs is a failure so the govt. harasses legit use of pain meds to make it appear that they are doing something useful.

Love, Mikie
  19. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I watched Larry King and found it interesting but hubby came in at 9:00 and changed the TV to news.

I heard Ambien and phenegran over and over. Yes, I was given Ambien for a short time but it says right in the instructions for short-term use only.

Phenegran is "older than the hills". (i am 75). I had never heard of it for anything other than nausea and colds. Why was he on it??

Why did they not tell the other drugs he was on? I knew that it had to be more than those. I read the article about him this AM in the Chicago tribune and it mentioned the bipolar. What is he on for that? Nothing was mentioned on the program last night.

Also what was the pain RX? And the anti-depressant? It seems to me that there was a lot left out of the media. Also, how much alcolhol did he have?

Tell it all if you are going to tell it!!!!

You know, they can frighten a lot of people with chronic pain like all of us when they tell a half of a story.

I don't have a pain med. to take. My PCP doesn't like them - said I might as well be given a bottle of Jack Daniels and put off in a corner!!!! Of course,that is his constant sarcasm.

Want to watch to see what is said more about it.

I went to bed wondering ---am I one of them????? I take Effexor and a very small dose of Klonopin. i imagine that I will be kept on them but -----am I one of those with addictions????

I never, never touch any kind of alcohol. i like a little wine with friends but am truly afraid of it. Have enough trouble with brain fog without that.

The Kennedys family constantly had troubles. i can't believe that one family can have such trouble. Rose was a true lady and. my oh my,what happened to her family???

gentle Hugs and Love,

Joan
  20. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

well i am absolutely ANGERED that they let him go at the scene like that. they drove him home. no testing at the scene; just drove him home.

i heard some little weird story where he claims he actually thought he had to be somewhere to vote and that's why he was driving at that time of the night.

okay. hmmmm. GLAD to know he's had some victory over past addictions but he's still battling only w/different substance abuse. alcohol and pain meds and meds for depression.

the reports from the scene say they believe alcohol was involved...WELL THERE'S NO WAY TO PROVE THAT NOW!!!!

i feel bad for him and his demons but to wriggle out of situations with powerful pull just demeans him a bit more in my eyes. it's part of this kennedy legacy that continues on and on.

i'm in massachusetts and once this story hit i couldn't help but review in my head some of the history of this family. OH, i once heard an interview where the guest (can't remember who) was basically claiming that there is no 'Kennedy Curse'; that the family is so large in number that there's bound to be news from time to time.

i'm not sold on that but neither do i believe in a 'curse'.