paulajo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paulajo, Mar 21, 2003.

1. paulajo

paulajo New Member

Greetings! This is my first post so bear with me. I have been diagnosed with Sjojren's Syndrome (1997) and now Fibromyalgia. I have reoccuring headaches and just started going to a doc who seems to have a clue about autoimmune disorders. He has been giving me injections in the trigger points on the back lower part of my head and upper neck/shoulder area. Has anyone else had experience with these. The shots are dexamethasone and xylocaine and seem to really help. I am concerned about the steroid in them but he says its a really low dose. He will give me shots as needed whenever they hit. I am also on 1200 mg of neurontin, amodiaqine, celexa. I am finally feeling like a human and actually have some energy so I don't want to knock. I think just the neurontin and getting released from the daily frustration of headaches has really helped.

Any thoughts on the shots.
  2. paula45

paula45 New Member

Another Paula here....I've had MANY trigger point injections in the upper shoulder and neck area for neck pain. Honestly, I've gotten little result from them. I have what they call "cervical facet syndrome" and my pain doctor did a series of three sets of facet joint injections in all my cervical vertebrae. This is a lot of meds (pretty much the same as you mentioned), but I got absolutely the best results with this. It's not a simple as trigger point injections though. Requires sedation in a surgical setting. I'd say give the trigger points a shot and then maybe look into something else. Regarding the steroids, I'm not a professional but I believe that, unless you are on them long-term, they pretty much "wash" out of your system eventually. Wishing you the best and WELCOME to the board.
    Paula (Anne)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2003]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Paulajo, welcome to the board. Can't comment on the injections or the meds. I mainly take supplements.

Just stopped to welcome you, hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]