Paxil and Xanax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MaryH, Feb 5, 2003.

1. MaryH

MaryH New Member

I have severe anxiety. Can't make it out of the house if it starts to get bad.

I went to talk to a RN practitioner yesterday at the psychiatric center.

I am taking Paxil and I had read some of the really bad stuff about Paxil. She told me that people should never, ever try to just quit taking Paxil. That there is a very prescribed way to reduce the dose safely. So if you are taking Paxil (or other SSRI) call you doctor and let them help you reduce your dose.

She also said that Xanax is being given out like candy by GPs and that is the drug that is really the dangerous one. I take .25 milligrams a day for sleep aid and she said that low of a dose isn't a problem. But you should never just stop taking the drug - you could end up having siezures. And it is not the safest drug in that family - Klonopin is better because it has a longer life in your system. But none of those drugs should be be used for very long.

Just thought I'd let you know to be cautious. But people like me have no life without help from drugs. So the main thing, I guess, is to learn as much as you can so that you can use them wisely and safely.
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

Hi Mary

I am currently weaning myself off Paxil. I have been on it for three months but feel I do not need it. I have been rx'd 20mg and have only taken 3/4 of the pill for the last week. I will slowly decrease each week. My doc does not know but I really don't think he cares. I am doing what I feel is best for me. I feel I have had most symptoms at one time or another with this dd and I do not have the anxiety that came as a result anymore. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

2girls.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many docs do not believe that Klonopin should be taken long term, but it's the underlying slight seizure state in our brains which causes the anxiety/panic attacks, sensory overload, and lack of sleep. Some here have been taking the Klonopin for years. I have been on it for about a year and am finally getting quality sleep and my sensory overload, tinnitus, and anxiety/panic attacks have diminished greatly.

There is a study just starting to determine whether Klonopin has the ability to interfere with the bain's pain messages and therefore, act as a pain killer.

Love, Mikie