paxil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srs7874, Jul 28, 2006.

1. srs7874

srs7874 New Member

Yesterday I saw a new Internist. I liked her very much but did get the impression a little bit that she thinks fibromyalgia is all in my head. She prescribed Paxil to help with the pain. I took Cymbalta for a short time but it did not agree with me so I am open to trying something new but I haven't heard about Paxil for fibromyalgia and I want to make sure she just doesn't think I am nuts and that is why she is giving me the paxil. Anyone taken Paxil for fibro? Did it help? What were the side effects? Thanks!
  2. srs7874

srs7874 New Member

sorry to bump this up . . . i just really want some guidance before filling the prescription.
  3. CarolK

CarolK New Member

PAXIL did help for the time period I was on it.... however.. my life started to feel like I was "flat-lining"!

That is to say, there were no highs and no lows. Just kinda flat emotions. And then one day I went to the movies with my daughter (after being on Paxil for years) and a few days later I could not remember the name of the movie, who was in it, or what it was about!! I could only remember that we went to the movie together.

This scared me so much that I decided to go of Paxil by myself. BAD IDEA!!! I cut my dose in half and then had terrible withdrawal symptoms! Terrible "brain zaps"... like electrical zaps in the head.. or like a mild shock sensation in your brain.

I then got in touch with my doc and she put me on the liquid form of Paxil so that I could tapper off 1 mg. per week! I can't remember what my highest dose was... but it took about six weeks to get off of it altogether.

I swore I would never go back on another SSRI again. But then the pain got so bad again that my functioning was so limited and it made everyday life very suckie! So after being off Paxil for about two years, I decided to give Prozac a try... I'm only on 20mg and it is helping a little. I just don't want to go on a higher does cause I don't want to live a "flat-lined life" anymore.

REMEMBER THOUGH.... everyone reacts differently to SSRI's so don't be afraid to try different ones if the Paxil doesn't work for you. It is a process of elimination and you need to stick with it to find out what works best for you. Any of the SSRI's can take as long as 6-8-10 weeks before you really start getting a benefit from them... so do not quit too soon and don't be afraid to ask the doctor to increase the dose if you are not getting any relief.

AND YES!!!!! ANTI-DEPRESSANTS DO HELP FM PATIENTS WITH PAIN!! DO NOT LET ANY DOCTOR TELL YOU THAT IT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD!! SWITCH DOCS IF THAT HAPPENS!

HOPE THIS HELPS... BLESSINGS.... CAROLK
  4. CarolK

CarolK New Member

COMMENTS ON PAXIL
  5. joanng

joanng New Member

I took Paxil for depression and it really helped with that. I was only on it for about 2 years. It didn't help with my fibro pain but it did get me out of bed and help me get moving and involved with life again. It helped me be able to have some energy to exercise which is good for fibro. I was on 20 mgs and then went to 10 mgs and then stopped and had no problems at all. The funny thing was the dr said it might intefere with my libido (sp? sex drive) but it actually improved it! I would go back on but I gain about 15 lbs when I was on it. Should I ever get depressed again, I would definitely go back on it. Good luck.

[ advertisement ]