Pcos and fibro link

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katykat24, Mar 17, 2006.

1. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

I'm curious to know if any of the women here have been tested for low amounts of estradiol.

I've been reading 'The Savvy Woman's Guide to PCOS' (as I have both PCOS and FM) and there's a list of things that are clues to if you have low estradiol, including fibromyalgia, worsening of IBS symptoms before and during period, loss of energy, restless sleep, food cravings for sweets and carbs, memory and concentration problems worsening before period, anxiety attacks, worsening allergies, migraines, etc.

I see my doctor next week and want him to test my levels!

Just curious to see if anyone else has done it and what their results have been.

Perhaps if we are low, and we get an increase of this estradiol, our symptoms will somewhat be alleviated?
  2. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

bumping for people to read
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

I am going to a new doctor who wants me to get blood work done.

He said some of my symptoms sound like lowering of estradiol levels.

I have to wait til my cycle and test while fasting, then count and have another test between days 19 and 21.

I will let you know what happens. May be about a month or six weeks, before I can report back to you.

Thanks for the post.
    Kendra
  4. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

how long do you have to fast for this? and what else are you getting done for bloodwork?

i do not think i can make it through a whole day from breakfast and no lunch to dinner - which is why i ask. I think I would do better with a morning appointment? my fasting blood sugar levels are the same as the mild hypoglycemic levels.

anyway, i appreciate you responding to this. :)
  5. kch64

kch64 New Member

I just have to be fasting at the time of the test.
    so I won't eat after midnight (which I never do anyway) and don't eat until the blood is drawn, around 9:00 AM

You can have water, just no food or beverages.

A morning appointment would be the best. Did your doctor tell you that you needed to fast? If you're not sure, you should call and ask. He/She may be doing something different than mine.

I have to have a bunch of tests. He wants all thyroid, c reactive protein, homocystein, and a lot of others.

I feel positive about it. Don't you? Sounds like your doctor is well informed.

Let me know how it goes, O.K.?

Kendra
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2006]
  6. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

i'm glad you are getting all the tests done.

I'm actually going to bring it up to him at the appointment so I'll try to fast anyway (815 am appointment)

he is a super good doc tho, he's really nice and smart and listens to me.

yours too, it sounds like
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

That's early. so fasting probably won't bother you much at all.

Hope it goes smoothly for you. talk to you later.

kendra
  8. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

Where are you folks from? does your dr know any good drs who are up on these subjects in Connecticut?
    i am looking for an endocrinologist so i can start getting treated for this.

steph (growing a beard) :)
  9. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

due to a lack of period and found to have no detectable estradiol. I thought "EUREKA! This is the problem!"

However, I was retested 2 months later and my levels had returned to normal, as did my period. Unfortunately, my symptoms haven't changed (I have FM).
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007]