PCP referring me to Mayo Clinic for unknown diagnosis,pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Nov 3, 2005.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Dear Friends, I was wondering if anyone here has been to the Mayo Clinic? And what did you think of your experience?

My PCP has sent me to, Podiatrist, Rheumatologist, Pain Doctor, Neurologist, and I saw an FFC doctor.

I have severe feet and ankle pain, it's literally my whole foot now. I can barely walk anymore. I have an unusual bluish-purple color to them when my legs are hanging down to long, or when I am sitting on the examining table, it takes a couple minutes and my feet and toes turn purple and begin to swell. They don't think it's Raynaud's because it doesn't have the pattern of turning blue with cold temperatures.

I really thought my PCP would have thrown in the towel on this one, but, he wants to see if my INS. will cover the Mayo.

I have been thinking it's probably a wierd fibro thing, but who knows, what have I got to lose? My sanity, at this point....

Any comments?
    Thanks,

Laura
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

bumpity bump....
  4. shalimac

shalimac New Member

I'm so sorry that you're having such misserable health problems. It's especially difficult to have very real sypmtoms, and the professionals are unable to diagnose it. I hope that you decide to go to the Mayo. Their international reputation exists for good reason. While many people on this board have had bad experiences with the Mayo, I am thankful that I went there. I can't report on their opinion on fibro, but in terms of leaving no stone unturned in searching for the source of the symptoms, they're great. Besides fibro, I have other health problems, and have been to the MN Mayo several times since 2001. This past August, their chief surgeon actually said, with great empathy in his voice and eyes, "this has been life altering for you hasn't it?" He may not have been making reference specifically to the fibro, but probably all health problems collectively. I finally felt as though someone with unquestionable credibility understood.
    If your insurance covers your visit to the Mayo, you have nothing to lose, maybe even something to gain.
    Prayers for improved health to you. :)
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I can't tell you exactly where to search, but I think someone on here named trevor had poor results at the Mayo. Also, they may be known world wide for some things, but apparently they are not up to date when it comes to FM and CFS. Sorry, but really have seen many negative things about Mayo, even their website.....Marie
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

You each gave me some sound advice. Yes, I have heard that the Mayo is not so great with fibro, but my PCP has sent several patients to the Mayo when they had exhausted all their resources from Scripps. He said many of them had success. I hope my HMO will flip the bill!!

Laura