Pennsylvania Amish school shooting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sisland, Oct 3, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow
    what is the world comming to?? So scary!! Happened in a rural school House in Lancaster county! 5 girls were killed some more in the Hospitial ! The 3rd school shooting in just over a week!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hard to believe things are that unsafe in rural Americia even,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

I live in PA & were are horribly shocked by this. I think 6 are now deceased. Only one has been upgraded to serious. The rest remain critical. So sad, as the Amish are non-violent people.

This school shooting can be controled. Just lock the darn doors after all kids are inside. Put a buzzer at the door entrances for anyone needing to come in. Security needs to be at all schools & they control who comes & goes.

Those who do this are nothing more than sick cowards looking for glory!!
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

Geez I just heard on the news that a church group from Kansas is coming to PA to protest the funerals because they have a bone to pick with the PA Governor! Of course laws permit them to protest, but they can be made to stay back the distance of 3 football fields. Like that will make these familes feel better.

Come on people haven't these familes been thru enough??? Add to that the Amish have nothing to do with politics. If this group feels the need to protest let them go to the state capital & do it.

Sick, sick, sick people in the world today.
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I was so shocked when I heard about this. Especially at an Amish school.

I used to deal with the Amish frequently when I worked and I really respect them. Although this would be horrible anywhere, this kind of thing just doesn't occur in their society and they must be overwhelmed by all the media attention.

And for protesters to show up at ANY funeral should be illegal-screw free speech!
  5. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I was so shocked and saddened by this. I think the Amish are cool and deserve respect, it somehow makes it worse that it happened to them, but it shouldn;t happen to *anyone*. :-(

According to the BBC website the guy planned to do much worse (abuse etc). In a horrid kind of way it is a mercy that he "only" shot the children.

It is the stuff of nightmares. May God help us all.
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

so sad this happen to such kind people they are in my heart felt prayers.

I think the media is really overstepping things now.They need to back off of these people and stop all this tv stuff .They are very private people and they should be respected threw this. This news coverage has to be adding to their stress.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

This is such a terrible and sad thing! It's hard for them to know what to do, what with no electricity. They can't even have aan alarm system.

However, since it is illegal for doors to be locked with children inside, I wonder if they would consider making sure the surrounding fence is strong, and then put some of their family farm dogs, which would be known and friendly to the children, in that yard. They could at least sound the alarm if any strangers came by.

I used to teach a multicultural art program, and I did a whole unit on the Amish and their crafts, especially the lovely designs they have on their barns. I feel as if I know them. You can be sure that my prayers are going their way.

Terry
  8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

When I heard this, I got soo depressed... What is happening to this country and world?? I saw on the news where the Amish have forgiven- their heart & soul is with Jesus. I love the amish and they way they live(although I could not go without certain things) - but they would never harm anyone... What a horrible thing- my prayers go out to the families... Janet
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow and now even protesters added to the Mix?? That won't bring the Kids back or solve any problems!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I grew up in a rural area that Has a Amish community about 20 miles away up by the Canadian Border, Never were they a problem or a threat in any way ! A very peaceful People !,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I agree LOck the Doors and now have security guards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My Prayers are with the familys!!
  10. TLI

TLI New Member

We also had a school shooting here in our town, several years ago. I young boy brought a gun to school, intent on killing. He did. I felt for his family, as they are kind and 'good' people. They eventually had to leave the community due to harassment and guilt. They were business owners. This young man was bullied and his parents had no idea. I can not even begin to imagine what drives a human being to kill another, especially children. The man that did this terrible thing must have been very ill.
    There is a fund set up for the families of the Amish community, to help with thier medical bills and other costs. The address is on www.msnbc.com. We can't afford to send much, but if everyone sent just a little, it would add up to be a great deal of help.
    The news interviewed a Father walking in the night, who could not sleep, that lost two of his daughters. He said he has forgiven the gunman. When asked if he was angry, he said "No". What great Faith these people have. My Prayers are with them.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    and welcome to the board !Just noticed you are new here! You will really like it Here there's lots of info and Helpful (nice!) people Here!

Thanks for the info on the website for donation's for the Amish victims! SO SO Sad!! The guys wife didn't even know that something was troubleing him!! (shooter) You just never know anymore!!

Can you fill in you Bio for us! Hugs to you!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And again welcome! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  12. suz45

suz45 New Member

This one blew me away as I used to be a counselor in a rural school district in south central pa for eight years. Left that area in June due to a job change(husband).

When I heard about it contacted a few of my counselor frinds in that area. They are really in shock as we had many mennonit/bretheran students in our school.

I knew it was not an Amish memeber as they are very peaceful people no guns in their homes allowed. They are always respectful and kind when going to thier markets. The children are so sweet and polite. My heart truly goes out to this community, I know from experience that they will pull together and their strong faith will help them through this most horrific act. My parayers go out to them.

I am hoping that this incident doesn't spawn anymore... We have had to many in the years I have done crisis counseling in the schools. It is a sad statement about the state of our society, when children are harmed and murdered by mentally ill individuals.

The pendulum has swung to far to the other side...Some people truly do not belong in scoiety for the sake of society.

Suz45
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

I couldn't help but comment on the Mental Health of some members of our society being out of control ! There is a national organization called( NAMI ) National Alliance For the Mentaly ill, I just saw it on the news the other day!

They do a fundraiser every year up here in MT. for research and Help with Meds and counseling for people who need it! It's like a walkathon or a 5k run something along thoes lines !

That is so admirable that you were a grief counceler for bad situations! Have you ever heard of this organization??,,,,,,,,,,,s
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My DH and I were watching the noon news when we heard about this horrid thing. We turned to ABC and CNN and watched until the news of this went off. We couldn't believe it.

We have an Amish territory in our state - we used to go there and just ride the back roads, wave at the children, and enjoy that games at recess the children played.

At noon we ate at their local restaurant where they met to eat and visit, just as the "English" do. What delicious potato salad---and oh, those pies to decide from.

We also spent time 2 times in Ohio in their Amish territory and in MI. Their homes are so neat and gardens weedless. If they were outside or in buggy, they waved.

I can not imagine anyone that was SANE going into that school and terrifrying and killing those little girls!!

i asked a pastor in molesting when hyounger or being molested was a good excuse for this behavior! His answer -no!

I pray that the living children can erase this horrid experience from their minds and live their normally peacefuil existances.

Gentle hugs and luv to those people
  15. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi sisland:

Yes I am very familiar with NAMi, they are a self run group with advocacy from professionals in the mental health treatment cimmunity, they are people who are suffering and overcoming a variety of serious and complicated mental health illness'. Its a great group with usually alot of local backing and funding.

Unfortunaltrly there is a group of people out in our communities that are not receiving adequate mental health services, much of this due to budget cuts and monies being diverted to other places. The result is a lack of safe places, and the ability to identify those that are dangerous to self and others, before a tragedy like this occurs. As a verteran counselor it worries me that we as a society including our children have become desemsitized to violence due to TV, Videoa and this reoccurring problem.

I ajust saw a clip the families in PA as they prepare to bury their girls, that thay have asked that we too pray for the family of the shooter. True forgiveness.. I just wish more could have been done to prevent this tragedy.

Suz
  16. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your reply to the NAMI post! it's very unfortunate that the program is not a Big problem solver!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S