People talking to me comes out sounding like a different language

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MemoryLane, May 10, 2003.

1. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I have this terrible problem with listening to other people talking. As they talk to me, I can hear words coming from their mouths, but it sounds all mixed up, almost like another language or it seems like I hear every other word.

Then I try desperately (and quickly) to sort out in my mind what was just said to me, but it's no use, it just makes it worse. I end up having to ask them to repeat what they just said, sometimes three times. If I still can't understand, I just give up or one of my children or my husband "interprets" for me. It is really embarrassing; I feel so diminished.

Anyone else?

Lane
  2. kezza_nottm

kezza_nottm New Member

i dont suffer from problems with hearing talking, but i sometimes look at people and it is like im spaced out on drugs, it is awful. Do you have problems when it comes to typing i sometimes keep typing the wrong keys?
  3. celina

celina New Member

it's like the harder you concentrate on what their saying, the less and less it makes sense. I always apologize and say that i am truely interested in what their saying and then make up some excuse. I have gotten it at the worst of times. B12 is supposed to help, but a frequent flow of caffeine helps keep me a little on the ball. Let me know if you find a good resolve.
    celina
  4. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I do the exact same thing. I hear every other word if I'm lucky, sometimes I miss the whole thing. I ask people to repeat 3 or 4 times, they get exasperated and won't tell me again.
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

and sometimes people get tired of repeating themselves more than once.

I also have problems hearing words when there is background noise, it's as though my brain cannot seperate the sounds.

The more tired I am and the worse my cognitive impairment the more pronounced this problem becomes.

It's one of many indicators that I need to rest my brain.

Cheers

Tansy
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I can be looking right at them and I feel disconnected somehow. It's like that spatial disorientation thing I have where I feel all turned around, but instead it's with words - trying to figure out what is being said. I dunno, maybe I try too hard to concentrate on what they are saying, knowing that this is a problem and I am over-compensating.

Yes, I do type all silly. My hands just start typing, before my brain kicks in gear and I have to constantly back-up, delete and retype. It takes me two hours or more just to type a one page letter.

Also, most of my posts here have been edited for corrections, because I proof them several times before I post and I still find typos.

Lane
  7. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

I sometimes when I'm in a "episode"..nerves all tore up over something hear jumbled talking coming from people..but my main prob is *I* talk jumbled when I get nervous/upset...it's like I'll be trying to tell the kids to go turn on the tv and be quiet..but what I say is--"go blkaou dcmnjksh xnjhfjkhasd". At first my husband and kids said "WHAT????" everytime I did it..now they just roll eyes and try to decyper! :eek:) I recon I speak in toungs..I myself don't know where the words come fromLOL! Maybe I was talking to you and that's why it sounded like mumbo-jumbo!!!haha:eek:)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2003]
  8. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

all the time, especially lately. And it is not only when people are talking to me, it is the written word as well. I have to constantly ask peope to repeat themselves and re-read things over and over again. It is not so bad with the written word, but oh boy, when I have to constantly ask my husband or anyone else to consistantly repeat themselves they think I am insane or worse! Luckily, my closest friends try to understand that it is a real disease related problem for me and not just and attention span sort of thing.

I am sorry it is happening to not only me, but then again, it is sort of comforting to know that I am not alone.

~A
  9. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I have the same cognitive difficulties, inability to understand conversation, and difficulty expressing myself.
    These are just some of the cognitive difficulties some suffer with CFS/FMS, along with memory dysfunction, spatial understanding, attending (being able to focus on one task), sequencing (being able to perform the steps necessary to complete a complex task), Inability to name an object (Anomia), Inability to locate the words for writing (Agraphia). Problems with reading (Alexia), Difficulty with doing mathematics (Dyscalculia), Difficulty with identification of, and verbalization about objects. These cognitive functions are all controlled by our brains. These disorders affect them.

The two in particular you all have mentioned are controlled by specific portions of the brain, and have names for the dysfunction
    1.TEMPORAL LOBES-- Difficulty in understanding spoken words (Wernicke's Aphasia).

2.FRONTAL LOBE Inablility to express language (Broca's Aphasia).

Thankfully research is being undertaken with various methods to repair these areas. I hope they succeed in my lifetime, as this is one of the most disheartening areas in my disorders.
    LL
  10. JannyW

JannyW New Member

oh goodness, this is a major problem for me at times! I can be watching TV, talking with my partner, listening to the radio ... and the spoken words just don't make any sense. And not being able to "find" the correct words to use -- well, I was an English major and this is a huge area of frustration, and it's happening more & more. Writing isn't much easier than speaking at this point, and it's getting worse.

Jan ^v^
  11. lorgirls

lorgirls New Member

It gets so bad at times I just start tearing up and want to cry. I wonder what people think of me,Its kinda like being half drunk and not having had a drink.I cant drink anymore.( not as if I drank much before )but it can be very frustrating. A friend I hadnt seen in yrs was asking me about this DD and I was in one of those stupers and had trouble exsplaining to him. I just gave up and said,sorry its just not a good day for me. He said he felt so sorry for me. I told him I dont want people to feel sorry for me. Just understand when Im not having a good day.
  12. Takesha

Takesha New Member

of people with this problem. I've just started having this problem within the last two weeks. I have been an A student when in comes to writing papers for two years, and have been told by alot of people how articulate I am. NOT ANYMORE. I can't talk, and can't type, and when other people talk It's like I am drugged and they are far away. Or as if I'm just not listening. What is really strange or scary is that I know I've had FMS awhile now, but it seems to have hit me all at once. The bad pain just started a month ago, and now this fog has moved in. It seems like it all is coming at once. I guess this is called a flare...I don't know, but I am begginning to feel like that man on televison that has "post it notes" stuck all over the house and even his dog so he can remember what's on tv. I've even gone to counting out my pill into a cup because I can't remember if I've taken them or not. Last week I didn't even answer the phone because talking was to hard.

Takesha
  13. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I have a lot of trouble when talking on the telephone. Especially talking to strangers. I have to ask them to repeat themselves over and over and they get mad at me. But what they are saying just does not compute in my brain. I really don't like it one bit. So I know just how you feel.
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  14. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I am so glad I am not alone. At least I am in the mainstream of something tangible.

Sometimes I feel like the main character in the book, FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, at the point he started digressing. Do you remember the movie many years ago with Cliff Robertson called Charley? There was a recent movie made with Elizabeth Shue, called Molly, very similar storyline.

Thanks again,
    Lane
  15. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Although it doesn't make it better, I now realise I'm not alone in this cotton wool stuffed brain feeling!
    I too have great trouble with separating sounds but put it down to mild hearing loss. But it does seem to have got worse lately along with everything else.
    As for making calculations......!!
    My memory is pretty bad too. Now what was I doing...????
    Love Pluto

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]