people under 30 with CFS/CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Sep 24, 2005.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

Are there people who post here under 30 with CFIDS? Is there a way we could start a spinoff group for ourselves? I know its hard at any age, but at a younger age, having this feels much worse because this is when our lives are supposed to be just beginning!
  2. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

That's a good idea. I've been out of action since 22, and it is so hard to watch everyone progress with their lives, and you can't do anything.
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i am 26 and have been ill since i was 8.
    i see what you are saying but this illness is tough at any age and i do think that we can all benefit from each others experiance no matter what our age.

i hope your not offended but we are all in the same boat.
  4. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I just turned 30. I've had this sine I was 19. I feel robbed too.
  5. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

Although I do not qualuify for the under 30 sect any longer, I am 36, I have suffered from early childhood.
    20 years ago no doc had heard of FMS and very few believed in my symptoms. My parents and doctors, when I was taken to a doc which was rare, did not take my suffering seriously.
    But medical awareness finally caught up with me. It was a long , hard struggle but as Gloria says " I will survive"
    Many of us "older" sufferers have a lot to offer. I have coped for 30 + years, all through childhood and now adulthood.
    Please do not discount how much we have to offer younger people with FMS. If you spin off to relating only with younger sufferers you may miss out on some valuable experience and amassed knowledge.
    Heck, I still feel young at heart! And in spirit! Though my body may not agree.
    So ask away, Dating with FMS, Will your friends understand? What about pregnancy and young children with FMS? Sibling disbeief and rivalry? New marriages? Meds through the decades? Sleep studies? Vacationing with FMS? What herbal remedies actually help?
    It is harder at a young age to be DXed with any chronic illness. So fall back on the support of the battle hardened!
    Hugs,
    A
  6. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

It's not about saying we're worse off or segregrating from others here - I'm assuming a spinoff group is not about ONLY posting there, but posting about things pertaining more particularly to our experience.

A cut-off age is difficult though... maybe on online support group for people who've had this since their earlier years, and have missed out on a lot during those particular stages, would be a good idea.

Just wanted to clarify too that when I said since age 22, I meant that's when I had to quit work, studies and shortly after became housebound. I too have had this since I was a young child, with seriously debilitating bouts in my teens.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Got it at 26, now 27. Feel cheated, specially since i won't get kids!
  8. june-bug

june-bug New Member

Im glad to see this post, I was wondering how many "young" people were posting or what the average age is. I understand what your saying, you are currently facing a lot of issues others have long forgot about, maybe older married sufferers wont have up to date advice on dating difficulties, or child bearing, or missing out on college, etc. Im not much older but I know when I was dealing with this in my teens and early twenties I would have loved to find peers dealing with this same disease. Its isolating being surrounded by energetic healthy young people when you look the same and should feel the same but cant do the same things. Its like watching life happen for others while you sit on the side lines with your own broken dreams. These are supposed to be the years where life happens and memories are made. We all face the same issues but theres always an element of difference. Its important to know there are people JUST LIKE YOU going through this.
    Good Luck to you all, my heart goes out to you because I know how you feel. Angelina P.S. Am I too old for your group???
    Am I? Am I?....Just Kidding!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  9. whit283

whit283 New Member

I think having a group for younger people is a great idea. There are many different issues that young adaults have to deal with. I feel so isolated from all of my friends and it seems like the only support i get are from my Mom
    , boyfriend and all of you. i would love to take part.
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Hey :) I think that's a great idea. I'm 22 and have been dealing with CFS since about 14, and FMS since 16. I think there are a lot of issues that people who are younger deal with, having CFS & FMS, then older people do. Maybe because these are the years that everyone says we should have the most energy of our lives, and be working hard to set up for our future. And sometimes we don't even have the energy to shower.
  11. jennypee

jennypee New Member

It's a great idea-- we don't need a cut off age, it could just be called something that gets the idea across. That way no one would be left out if they needed it. Did that even make sense? Not coherent today. I was so excited about starting a family, and my husband and I were getting ready to do foster care.
  12. fificat

fificat New Member

I'm 23 and think the idea is great...we've all been through so much and can really relate and can use support from people our own age..

Sharlie