People with acid reflux, i have some questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna275, Apr 6, 2006.

1. donna275

donna275 New Member

Can anyone tell me a little about acid reflux? I have been having pain in my neck up to my ears. I thought maybe it was acid reflux so I went and bought some Prolisec (sp?) and it didn't really work. I went to the doctor and he gave me some Protonix. It helped some, but still have that feeling like something is coming up in my throat. At night, I can feel and hear it gurgle in my throat. Sometimes, I feel like I need to throw up.

Also, is acid reflux the same as GERD? I wonder why, if I am taking Protonix, it is not working? And, do people just develop GERD?

Appreciate any input you all may have.
    Donna
  2. Txslady

Txslady New Member

GERD is the correct word for Acid Reflux. I have it so bad sometimes I think I am having a heart attack (chest, arm, neck, face, head, stomach etc...pain). I tried several meds and ended up on Nexium twice a day and it does better than the rest but some days are still bad. I also take liquid Mylanta for bad times that I need relief now.

Shannon
  3. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I have an ulcer, hiatal hernia and GERD. I take Nexium and for the most part it has been a Godsend for me. I usually only have to take 1 40mg cap a day. For breakthrough I will add one more. Hope this helps!!!
  4. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I also have GERD, a.k.a. acid reflux I take Prilosec in the a.m. and if it is bad at night will take prescription Zantac before going to bed.

I don't feel or hear gurgling in my throat at night, but do have the feeling that something is stuck in my throat a lot.
  5. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I used to have acid reflux since I was a teenager. It was so bad that I would wake up out of my sleep to throw up acid. My doctor tried me on ranitidine -?sp and then nexium, I use to take gaviscon by bottles and diovol, chew times like they were going out of style and then I started eating digestive enzymes - there are different types (just ask at the health food store) for different types of trigger foods ie: fatty foods, acidic foods, etc.
    These helped me immensely but the best thing was to change my diet and not eat anything processed ie: hotdogs,smokies,plus don't eat anything deep fried or spicey but if you are going to anything like that make sure to take the digestive enzymes for those particular foods before hand. It was like a miracle and I haven't had it since and that has almost been a year now. Hope this helps.
  6. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

is the only thing that works for me. I have a hiatal hernia in addition to the GERD. There is a surgery for the hernia and I started to have it a few years ago, but changed my mind. After you have the surgery you can never throw up no matter how bad you feel you need to.

The symptoms you described sound like GERD for sure, but maybe you need to see about a hernia.

Hope this helps.

Linda
  7. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

You have a little flap between your esophogus and your stomach. When something goes wrong with the flap, the stomach acid can come up all the way to your mouth if its really bad. A hiatial hernia is a pocket that forms in the esophogus and food gets caught in there. Ive had both for many yrs. I used to go through a 100 tablet bottle of tetralic a wk.

Now Im of prevacid and metoclopramide and that helps because it stops alot of the acid spouts in your stomach to produce acid.

Hope this helps

Suzette
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

This has been a big problem for me again lately. Acid actually comes up in my throat some nights. I have hardly been able to eat anything because I also have problems swallowing. Nexium does help me with that problem but for some reason it makes my IBS go crazy.

In 2003, I had my throat stretched and they found irritation on the esophagus and a small hiatal hernia.

I am now using several pillows to help me sleep. It will help at night. I have also added digestive enzymes when I eat but am not getting much help from them.

I hope you feel better and we both need to go to the doctor.

9. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Here is an idea: If you don't have heart problems, you should try and sleep on your left side. The weight of you liver acts as a block on your esophagus and doesn't allow the acid to come up. A Dr. told me this a long time ago and it works.
  10. donna275

donna275 New Member

You know, I get these new symptoms of things happening to my body and I get anxious as to what they are. I am always going to the worse case scenario and I get very anxious. I am trying to train myself, self talk, that it doesn't have to be the worse and that it could be many many things.

Anyway, this thing is new to me, it could be caused by stress or made worse by stress, anyway. We'll see what the doctor says after the barium xray that I'll be doing Monday a.m.

Thank you all again.
    Donna
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have trouble with acid reflex too and I have a hiatal hernia. I take prevacid but it is so expensive. Are any of the other drugs for it cheaper? One thing that has helped me is not laying down for two hours after you eat. Other wise the digestive juices run up your throat. Yuck.
  12. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

GERD is the same thing as acid reflux,
    and people usually develop it from something.
    sometimes taking too much ibuprofen all the time
    will cause you to get acid reflux.
    for me, i got it 'cause i was severely overstressed,
    which caused alot of acid to build up.
    if it is acid reflux, protonix should be working.
    you might want to talk to your doctor,
    there are tests you can get done to see if you have it,
    like a Barium upper GI test.
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

to kick in. What works faster is something like OTC Pepsid AC, try that and see what it does.

Protonix gave me the runs. I take Prilosec and currently I am down to 10mg(BTW they now have 10mg on prescription and I also get the 20mg OTC on prescription, as they are the cheapest way for pharmacy to fill, so those on it get a scrip!

The symptoms you describe could be anything. You can taste the acid when it comes into your throat it scalds you, and can get into your lungs and make you gasp, plus terrible chest and gut pains too. You usually feel it in your chest area.

I am wondering if you have thyroiditis? Your paun sounds like sub acute thhyyroiditis.

Let us know what the xraY COMES UP WITH. lOVE aNNE c
  14. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I had reactions to the PPI's so my dr. rx Librax. It would great for me. I took one pill a night before bed. Now I don't have to take it at all.

FYI