Pepper/Chronic Sinus Infections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Nov 14, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

In Teitelbaum's book "From Fatiqued to Fantastic", he mentions that Mayo Clinic supports the thought that yeast overgrowth is the culprit. In their study, researchers found that chronic sinus infection sufferers had fungal growth in their sinuses. Seems that inflammation was occuring due to the bodies immune response to fungi.

Further says that its their belief, that is why Chronic Sinusitus doesn't respond to antibiotic treatment. He says he uses and finds that conservative treatment works better than the usually prescribed antibiotics.

The differention must be made between chronic, lasting over three months, from acute, usually a course of a few days to a month. For the acute--bacteria is usually the culprit.
    Some argue that fungus is present in all noses, but are not considering the immune system responses.

Thought this was interesting, and you might want to look into it.
    Karen
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

In Teitelbaum's book "From Fatiqued to Fantastic", he mentions that Mayo Clinic supports the thought that yeast overgrowth is the culprit. In their study, researchers found that chronic sinus infection sufferers had fungal growth in their sinuses. Seems that inflammation was occuring due to the bodies immune response to fungi.

Further says that its their belief, that is why Chronic Sinusitus doesn't respond to antibiotic treatment. He says he uses and finds that conservative treatment works better than the usually prescribed antibiotics.

The differention must be made between chronic, lasting over three months, from acute, usually a course of a few days to a month. For the acute--bacteria is usually the culprit.
    Some argue that fungus is present in all noses, but are not considering the immune system responses.

Thought this was interesting, and you might want to look into it.
    Karen
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

I find that extremely interesting, not just for myself, but particularly for my granddaughter, who has been sick since June with a sinus infection the docs cannot seem to get completely cleared up. Thanks for posting this, it's worth some research.
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I had chronic sinus infections for many years, sometimes ending up on antibiotics for months at a stretch---before I knew how detrimental excessive antibiotic use was. For the past few years, the sinus stuff has been better, but I still have the past use of antibiotics & what it's done to my body. That's why I'm seeing a doctor next week who specializes in diagnosing & treating candida infections. I think what you (and Teitelbaum) are saying makes a lot of sense...certainly in my case. Makes me glad I am looking into it & hopefully this new doctor will be able to help!

Hope your candida treatment is going well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed you see noticeable results!

Thanks,
    Pam

5. pepper

pepper New Member

I have never heard that before. I have candida everywhere else it just makes sense that it is in my sinuses too. I guess that is one more reason for sticking to the candida diet. I will definitely check out Teitelbaum's book.

I suffered from chronic sinus infections from 1976 until 1990 - on antibiotics almost constantly from Oct to May and sometimes in the summer too.

However, in Jan. 1990, I went to the chiropractor and he found an abnormality in my neck. Whenever I felt a sinus infection coming on, I would see him, he adjusted my neck and it never materialized. I did not have a sinus infection from Jan. 1990 until last spring when I had a major one that required 3 different antibiotics - which probably caused more fungi to grow!

It seems like a vicious circle to me. Thanks for the information! Pepper
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

Lots of interesting stuff!! I'm a sinus sufferer too and wondered if any of you heard of a concoction you can make yourself at home using baking soda,warm water and salt?I've heard it a few times and thought YUK I'm not putting that in my nose!!but I tried it and it really helps to loosen that stuff up and clears ya out!!Just put a few drops into each nostril and let it sit a minute,then I blow my nose lightly.(not with full force)I'm tellin ya it works better than the $6 nose spray in the drug stores!!
    Hope it helps someone.
    Have a good eve!!
    Tracey
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Just don't add flour--you'll blow a dinner roll out your nose!
    Hey sounds like some of my mom's old treatments---that always worked---only thing is she added espsom salts to everything!
    Karen
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

someone else had heard it too,so I don't sound like a total Kook putting that stuff in my nose!!LOL but hey i'm telling you it helps!!I just did it again this morning cause I always wake up all stuffy!The nose spray is a half cup of warm water,a half a teaspoon of salt,and a pinch of baking soda.I just sniff it into each nostril and plug my nose with my head tipped back(you'll prolly feel it drip down your throat)Salty!!Thats it,then I blow my nose a little with a tissue cause it loosens up some stuff yuk stuff!But I recall afew years ago my sons pediatrician telling me that I could make this for my little boy when he has a cold-but I never did~till recently.
    Hey, I've always gargled with salt water for a sore throat!!its much the same~is'nt it?just try it-you'll like it!LOL
    Have a decent one!
    Tracey
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

Whenever I get a headache I always have the stopped up nose too. This is for a minor one to a full blown migrain that lasts for days. Have had this conversation, with another headache suffer and we both say the same thing -- do you reach for sinus meds or headache meds? It's kinda like the chicken or the egg. Does the headache cause some sort of swelling and causes sinus blocking or the other way around. For early morning blockage I often use a heavy washrag and very hot water compress. it sometimes helps open the blocked nostril. First noticed this when taking a hot shower and feeling better after. Gotta get that shower fixed cause the tub just doesn't do the same.