Pepper

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by caffey, Jan 2, 2007.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

Hi Judy: I just read your prayer request for your bil. Can they not put him on a PCA pump. It is like an IV but it goes into the tissue and it is a continuous drip of pain medication and if it is bad he can press a button and give himself a bolus. It has a lock on it so he can't overdose himself. It is about the size of a game boy. So he can get out and around. It is great for cancer patients. Just a thought.
    Love ya
    Cath
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I think that they have tried every pain med that they can but he reacts to everything so I don't know what they could even put in the pump. The big problem is that he is in Quebec and is anglophone so he doesn't even know what is going on most of the time. He said that even his medications are written in French so he doesn't even know what he is taking!

His wife is French but she is not always there to translate for him and actually doesn't know the English words for a lot of the things I would like to know. I don't know why they can't figure this out. His sister had the pump before she died and so did my mom.

When my SIL (his sister) is here, hopefully next week, I am going to ask her to look into this. I don't think that Cam's wife is advocating enough for him and we all know how we need someone to do that when we are ill! My SIL who is coming from Edmonton is a nurse and speaks better French than I do so I am hoping that she can help.

Your suggestion is a good one and I cannot understand why he doesn't have a pump. He is too weak to get up and walk around at this point but at least he could press the button and give himself a bolus.

Love, Judy
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

It must be hard when there is a language barrier. I have learned the hard way since I got this dd the importance of having an advocate. My girlfriend has been a lifesaver in going to appts. when I am not feeling well. The great thing about her is she is a really quiet meek person and one time she just sat there and calmly said you have to do something and we aren't leaving until you do. The poor doc just about fell off his chair. But I got what I needed. Hang in. Still sitting beside you. Finished the chinese food.lol. Discovered I can go to the bulk food store and buy muffin mix and oatmeal cookie mix and all you have to do is add water and raisins. Now I am in heaven. lol. Take care. Praying for you. Man i wish I was feeling well and I would love to come and help take care of your bil. I love palliative nursing. It is almost a specialty with me.
    Love ya
    Cath
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

That is a good question, Pam, and I cannot figure it out either. Supposedly they have tried all the pain meds available and he reacts to all of them. I just don't believe it and think that they could find something if they really wanted to.

Yes, Cath, he needs an advocate and I don't think that his wife can take on that role. I told this story before about being admitted to the hospital for incredible back pain - I couldn't move unless supported by two nurses and then only tiny, painful baby steps. And the doctor wanted to send me home. My DH used the 6'2, 240 rule :) and stood by the door, saying that we were going nowhere until the pain was gone. That doctor got me some pretty good pain meds pretty quick!

That is why I think that my SIL might be able to help when she visits - she is a nurse and speaks French which is necessary when you are dealing with anything in Quebec. She can be quietly forceful just like your friend. I hope that she can do something.

Love, Judy