Peptides and Dr. Gruenn

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi all - I posted earlier about finding Dr. Gruenn in Los Angeles who does peptide injections. I called his office a couple of days ago asking if they could give me more information about the peptides, on-line or elsewhere, and he called me personally back this morning.

He was very kind, and explained, as MIkie has said, the information is not available publicly.

I told him I had CFS and had been sick for a very long time. He said that if it is viral-related or autoimmune, the injections should be able to help me, but if heavy metals are the culprit, they won't. So that's a huge piece of information I did not have before. He also said I should be able to tell after one injection if it's going to help.

I live about 2 hours from his office so he said we could do everything the first visit so I don't have to keep going back. They would send me the info for what I need to do (or not do) ahead of time.

I liked him a lot and again was very impressed he called me himself.

So I'll probably give it a shot (no pun intended! :D) in the next couple of weeks.

2. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I wish you the best of luck with this! I truly hope they help you!!!

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, usually you can tell from the first shot if they will work, even if the benefits are short lived the first time. Most of the time, people will feel well right afterward and then the benefits will wane before the next one. My first one lasted the full two weeks. The second one is still working but I'm not getting all the benefits. My arthritis pain and FMS pain are gone. I've had good days but more days of exhaustion. My mouth has been dry but not as dry as duriing a Sjogren's flare.

Today, I started to feel better and I have plenty of saliva. So, I can only assume that something interupted the benefits but they are back. We are all different, so we probably each experience our treatments differently.

I know the docs have to be very secretive about the injections. It's the only way to ensure we can continue to get them. I would have thought them hocus-pocus had I not attended the seminar and had the theory explained to me. Of course, shelling out the $300 and going on their word takes a leap of faith but as sick as I've been, I was more than willing to take the chance. There are virtually no side effects so all I had to lose was some money.

Good luck to you and please, keep us updated on your progress. I'm glad your doc is nice.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your good wishes! Leah, sorry about the time zones - that is a problem. I was so happy when I found Dr. Gruenn because initially I had been told there was no on in California who did this.

I will be calling soon to make an appt. to have one injection. I can handle that.

My worst symptom as I've posted before is crashing - post-exertional malaise. I've had several things boost my energy but I always crash, so to be honest I will be very surprised if they're able to do anything for me. But you never know.....

I'll keep you posted -

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm glad you're finally starting to feel better - maybe the red tide is abating at last?

I am really grateful to you for posting your experience - I never would have heard of this otherwise.

And I was reassured after talking to Dr. Gruenn that I'd have a good idea after the first injection if it was going to work. And very important to me was that he also stated that if heavy metals were involved, it would not work. There's a good possibility heavy metals may be involved with my CFS.

The problem is that to do a proper mercury detox requires that I have 3 crown replaced first (I've already had all my fillings removed) but they can't tell if there's any mercury under the crowns. So that would be $3,000 right at the start, and then no guarantee it will work anyways. $3,000 seems to be the magic number for the crown and the peptides....

Anyways, right now it will easier and cheaper to do the one injection, and if that is a no go, then I'll attack the crown and detox problems.

I will keep you all posted -

Best wishes,

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I bit the bullet and made an appt for Feb. 2. They will do the injection that day, so we'll see!

7. misskoji

misskoji Member

I wish you all the best, and pray you find some recovery with this treatment! I'm considering it, too. Please keep us updated.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a mouth full of crowns. I did have the old fillings removed but didn't notice a difference. After my last root canal, the doc put in an amalgam filling into the crown. I just left it as it's the only one and, again, I've seen no difference. I played with mercury in my hand as a kid. I think many of us have large amts. of lead, mercury and other toxins in our bodies. The shots are helping me and I believe they will continue to help. We have a doc who does chelation here but I've not checked him out. I have to wonder whether there is that much leakage from old amalgam fillings. Studies do not show that having them removed has helped people. I think you are wise to give the injections a try first. I'm glad the doc has reassured you. Good luck and please do post updates following your shot.

Love, Mikie
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and support! I will definitely post how it goes.

I am probably going to change the date of my appt due to traffic. Traveling to Santa Monica to arrive at 8:45 a.m. on a weekday morning is the worst thing in the world. The 405 freeway is like a parking lot, no exaggeration. My brother-in-law suggested I leave at 4:30 a.m. (!) which I just can't do. I have to fast beforehand so can't make it late in the day, but am going to switch to a different day so I can arrive a little later in the morning. I can't face that commute.

Best wishes,

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I didn't notice any difference after having my filling removed either. However, I have done a LOT of detoxing, a lot during the methylation protocol, and then just out of the blue I'll get detox symptoms. And things like apple cider vinegar and chlorella give me severe detox symptoms. And I've gone to my chiro who has confirmed that that's what's going on, and often mercury is involved.

A woman on the Phoenix Rising board did the methylation protocol, had some improvement but could not get past crashing. Then she did Andrew Cutler's protocol for mercury detox and after about 4 months her stamina markedly increased. So she just sounds very similar to me. My energy, I feel better, but I can't get past crashing. And to do the Cutler protocol, you're supposed to have all mercury out of your mouth and since they can't see if there's any under the crowns, that's why they'd have to go. I may have explained all this already, can't remember, but, anyways,

But - we'll see! It would be much better for me in many ways if the injections worked, I really hope they do. ANd I will post updates. and I probably will change the date by about a week (see post above) due to traffic (yes, traffic!)

Best wishes,

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

and, believe me, I understand why traffic might cause you to reschedule. My daughter and SIL used to live there.

I have had Herxes and Herx-like detox/purging many times from many treatments. In fact, after the first injection, there was a lot of Herx-like purging. These injections improve the immune system and there is no telling what will happen. I've been in a flurry of cleaning out on my lanai for three days. Today and tomorrow, I'll rest for a couple of reasons: I want to be rested for the injection; and, I cannot take my BP meds for two days before, the day of, and three days after the injection. I usually take it easy for a couple of days after the injections too. The doc says no need to but, again, I think it helps the injections to work.

The last one is still working after a month. This is really unexpected considering my age and how long I've been sick. I hope your injections work as well for you. I think it best if one has no preconceived expectations because the injections work differently for everyone and they may not address all the symptoms right away. Any improvement is reason to believe they will work. I don't know whether I'll ever be 100 percent but if I feel better, say 80 percent, I'll be happy.

My doc advertises a weight-loss program and I'm going to ask him about it. I've not been able to exercise and I'd like to be able to work out and lose the weight. Also, I want to be able to stop taking the BP meds. I'm in no hurry; I want to do it safely for permanent loss and good health.

Best of luck to you. Please do post about your experience with the injections. Prayers for success for you.

Love, Mikie
  12. panthere

panthere Member

I see you are going to try peptide injection on Feb 2 at Gruenn's. I thought they can't give you shots until after they receive the results from Europe. Is he going to give you shot based on your symptoms?

By the way I saw Dr. Gruenn when i lived in LA. He's a great doc, you will love him!
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm so glad to hear that Dr. Gruenn is a great doc! He called me personally to answer a question I had about the peptide injections even though I wasn't a patient and have never seen him. I was impressed.

Yes, the shot will be based on my symptoms. That's how Mikie was treated I believe, and she has had great results. If I don't get any benefit from the injection, then I guess I will have to decide about getting testing done in Europe. I don't really know how it works. Mainly am trying to do the cheapest way possible right now.

14. panthere

panthere Member

He has great attitude and very positive. Also, he's willing to try anything patient wants which is always helpful!

Both my husband and i did testing in Europe first through Gruenn then through another doctor. The testing takes FOREVER! So if you are going that route be prepared to wait for a long time before you get results back. I heard that the guy who was interpreting the results had a boat accident and was in a coma most of the past year. That's why a lot of people were waiting on results for a very long time. However, i also heard that they are trying to establish a laboratory in US to do this type of testing soon so maybe more people can do it now. Maybe Gruenn knows more?

15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Best wishes, Mary, on both the trip and the doctor's appointment!

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of using the peptide injections in Europe, they are pretty accurate in deciding which injection to use based on symptoms and/or diagnosed illnesses. The one they used for me was a "wide-spectrum" serum which addresses immune and autoimmune illnesses. It is usually only when the injections don't work, or when someone has symptoms which aren't specific enough to point in one direction, that the plasma evaluation is done. The success rate for using the injections empirically is very high. I will be praying for success. Feb. is just around the corner.

I rested yesterday and will basically do the same today and tomorrow. It isn't necessary but it just makes sense to me to give my body a break so it can integrate the peptides. I'll start a new thread after this next injection. The second one I got last month continues to work. The only problem I've had is some exhaustion which I chaulk up to the Red Tide which always does that to me.

Again, best of luck to you. I'm so glad you found such a good doc.

Love, Mikie
  17. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

do you think the injections would hellp with sleepiness and cognitive issues
  18. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

will keep you all posted. I've changed my appt. to Feb. 9.

Hope I do not herx like Mikie did after her first injection!

19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Whether symptoms are helped by the injections depends on what is causing them. If one has CFIDS/ME, the injections should help with sleep and cognitive functioning. I sleep better with the injections but my BP meds interfere with sleep. My cognitive functioning is much improved but my memory isn't great. Still, it's as good as the other old ladies living here. I think it's age related.

I did Herx last night. It's almost like the peptides hit my system and it purges the crud. When I told the doc about my nausea and diarrhea, he seemed surprised so it may just be me. I think I still have some pathogens and the peptides are causing my immune system to go on killing sprees. This is actually a good thing but unpleasant to endure. I recommend taking a barf bag along just in case.

Love, Mikie