Per my Doc, pain meds are contraindicated for FM...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat_tastrophe, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

What the Heck?

I'm SUPPOSED to be in pain so badly that I can't lift my arms???

sigh. I miss playing with my kids.

~Kat
  2. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

Boy, sure sounds like your Doc is not very familiar with fibro or very stingy in giving out pain meds. Maybe it is time to look for a new doc. It is sooo important that you have a doc that you feel comfortable with and you feel understands you. A lot of people on this board (myself included) take pain meds for the fibro, with good results.

Hugs to you and I hope you can get some pain relief soon,

Jessica
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Get the heck away from that out of date idiot. If you don't treat the pain, you will end up with permanant nerve damage.

Where has he been? Everywhere I look these days ... From the DEA and FDA websites, to Medicinenet website to aquaintances I see while living life, fibro is treated in part with pain medication. ( If they so choose.)

Tramadol is one of the most common fibro medications perscribed. Jeesh ... what an idiot.

My guess is that he is either very old and not keeping up with medical journals or he is very young ... fresh out of med school and is just spitting out what he heard in class .... no life experience yet to tell his young ... you know what ... otherwise.

OR ... he is a fool following the UK's monster psychiatrist's agenda which is hurting patients right and left.

Which ever the case ... find a new doctor who will help you have a decent quality of life and keep you from having permanant damage due to stupidity.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

and lost so much time with them before I started taking Tramadol. My wonderful pain doc has been with me through flares and helped me to control my pain in a way that I am comfortable with. I aim to avoid narcotics, but I have been told that the inactivity associated with severe pain is more detrimental than the short-term use of opiates.

This weekend, armed with an assortment of joint supports/ braces, Lidoderm patches, a tens unit, as well as tramadol and "breakthrough pain" relief, I went outside with my kids and helped decorate for Halloween and played in the leaves... my 2-year-old thought it was hilarious and kept asking me to help her "fix" the fallen leaves by putting them back on the trees!lol! She and her one-year-old sister (see my bio pic) kept "hiding" by squatting down and facing a little twig of a tree.

It was so much fun- I wasn't 100%, I had some terrible muscle cramps and a headache that persisted, but I was functional. I can't count the number of weekends I have had to stay inside while DH got to see all the adorable stuff- I hate to think of all I've missed!

Hopefully you can find a doc who is more on track with FM treatments. It is so important for your well-being to be able to experience your life!

Blessings,
    Lollie
  5. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

I am sorry to here that you are in so much pain.

Take care.

BY THE WAY HAPPY BE-LATED BIRTHDAY.

Christina
  6. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

Hubby and the kids rang the door bell and when I answered, they sang "Happy Birthday" at the top of their lungs. They had roses and cards and hugs and it was wonderful!

thanks!
    ~Kat
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

Per the AMA, pain meds are not indicated for fm/cfs/mps....

Most docs follow the AMA plan for just about all treatment plans.

Unfortunately, the American Medical Association is DECADES behind in research on fm/cfs/mps....lucky me...I have all 3. I've just come from the 3 appt with one doc, and have seen 4 or 5 others...all gave me this "party line".

I am not a drug seeker, and would not be looking for narcotic relief if their were any alternatives what so ever for me....I'm at constant pain levels in 7-9 range...and that's mostly resting. I'm damaging my teeth from gritting my teeth in pain so constantly....pain has been unrelenting for 4 months!

I'm a pretty dang positive person, but I literally think the pain itself is changing my personality....I can not only play with my stepkids, I am unable to wash myself much of the time and can no longer drive.

I've recently discovered Devin Starlanyl's book...The Fibromyalgia Advocate. Read it. Please. We are not drug seeking if we are looking for pain relief that will give us the strength we need to live somewhat productive lives....let alone participate in our recovery.

In my experience, the first question I will ask any potential doctor is "do you agree with the current AMA description and treatment plan for fm/cfc/mps"....if they say yes, I run screaming for the door.

I've done it their way for 4 months....extreme pain, utterly non functional......4 months ago I was a relatively normal fully professional functional 30 year old woman.

Hearing from the doctor today "there are no other treatment options for you. We've tried everything I can do and nothing is working for you. You will just have to learn to live with it".....No flippin way. That is inhumane.

These doctors take an oath..."first do no harm"

Long term extreme pain, regardless of whether the "source" of the pain is degenerative or not, is a danger to the human body. One member here told me that she's had 2 strokes not because of high cholesterol or other normal stroke indicators, simply because of the physical "stress" that unrelenting pain put on her body systems for years.

I will not allow that to happen to me. Please, buy the book, or get it from the library. This is information you need to know.

And Btw...pain meds are contraindicated for fm...I believe that is word for word from the current AMA guidelines. In this case, the AMA is more outdated than the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT...the most beaurocratic organization on earth! These doctors need to get real! If they think I'm going to "throw in the towel" on my life at 30 because they aren't going to do anything to give me the TINY bit of relief I need to do the therapy, eat the whole foods, have the strength and stamina to do my own research...forget.
    There are other doctors out there. It is our job, and our responsibility to find them.

Good luck, and God bless!
    Rachel

Oh, I just read some of your other responses...yes, tramadol is often prescribed even by "non pain med" docs because it is unrestricted by the dea. I am currently taking the highest legal dose of tramadol..ULTRAM...400 mgs daily. That literally does not touch my pain. It does work quite well for some others, though. I obviously need something considerably stronger! Lol....My last desire on this earth is to go thru life stoned or altered on pain meds....but absolutely not being able to work at all, participate in just about NOTHING that my family does, get no physical exercise, not even walk thru a grocery store...that is unacceptable to me! LOL[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  8. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

He is no Dr!

Dump him.....its clear he got his degree on-line.

Go to a Fibro support group in your area and ask the people there what Drs BELEIVE in pain! They will help you or maybe someone on line can tell you who to go to in your city.

You shoulndt ignore your loving children and life because this ding dong said that.....

jgavi
  9. Musica

Musica New Member

I like the way NancyB worded her answer! All of it!

Orachel, WHY does the AMA say pain meds are contraindicated? Because they still don't believe FM and FM pain are real? Because they still think FM is "all in your head" and pain meds feed an addiction? If they do believe in FM, then how would they treat it? Don't tell me...psychotherapy?

I don't have a firm diagnosis of FM yet, but I have global aching 24/7 these days that is only relieved by enough tramadol in a day. Usually after the second dose in a day, I feel better for several hours before I can feel it starting again. I can't stay home and take epsom salts and peroxide baths all day, or try to sleep it away! I don't see what else would keep me from being in absolute misery all day.

I thought rheumys follow the ACR (American College of Rheumatology) guidelines, anyway. I know there is still a controversy between rheumys concerning FM, but I must agree, this doc sounds like he is quoting the AMA simply because he doesn't know anything about FM. Get thee to a better doc, for your sake!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Be sure to question the person making the appt. There are a few who do not use drugs in their treatment. Most do and they understand pain meds and our kind of pain. Good luck.

Opiods used to control chronic pain are safer than taking large amounts of OTC drugs long term.

Love, Mikie