PERCOCET - Does or has anyone taken it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Jul 24, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Was just wondering if anyone on the board does or has taken Percocet for fms pain. This is what my dr. prescribed for me after my surgery on my elbow. It is supposed to be good for nerve pain.

I noticed that it took away any fms pain I may have had at the time as well as pain from surgery. For my other 5 elbow sugeries he always gave me Vicoden or Darvecet. I was wondering if he gave me a stronger drug this time because he knew how worried I was that I would flare. Maybe he was thinking of taking care of the surgery pain & fms pain with this drug? I don't know.

I'm not sure but think this is a pretty strong drug. Is it considered a narcotic? Addicting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & take care.....Kathi
  2. Hippen

Hippen New Member

Brand name:
    Percocet
    Pronounced: PERK-o-set
    Generic ingredients: Acetaminophen Oxycodone hydrochloride
    Other brand names: Endocet, Roxicet, Tylox

Why is this drug prescribed?
    Return to top

Percocet, a narcotic analgesic, is used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain. It contains two drugs--acetaminophen and oxycodone. Acetaminophen is used to reduce both pain and fever. Oxycodone, a narcotic analgesic, is used for its calming effect and for pain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most important fact about this drug
    Return to top

Percocet contains a narcotic and, even if taken only in prescribed amounts, can cause physical and psychological dependence when taken for a long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How should you take this medication?
    Return to top

Percocet may be taken with meals or with milk.

--If you miss a dose...

If you take Percocet on a regular schedule, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the one you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Never take 2 doses at once.

--Storage instructions...

Store at room temperature.

What side effects may occur?
    Return to top

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Percocet.

More common side effects may include:
    Dizziness, light-headedness, nausea, sedation, vomiting

You may be able to alleviate some of these side effects by lying down.

Less common or rare side effects may include:
    Constipation, depressed feeling, exaggerated feeling of well-being, itchy skin, skin rash, slowed breathing (at higher doses)

Why should this drug not be prescribed?
    Return to top

You should not use Percocet if you are sensitive to either acetaminophen or oxycodone.

Special warnings about this medication
    Return to top

You should take Percocet cautiously and according to your doctor's instructions, as you would take any medication containing a narcotic. If you have ever had a problem with alcohol addiction, make sure your doctor is aware of it.

If you have experienced a head injury, consult your doctor before taking Percocet. The effects of Percocet may be stronger for people with head injuries, and using it may delay recovery.

If you have stomach problems, such as an ulcer, check with your doctor before taking Percocet. Percocet may hide the symptoms of stomach problems, making them difficult to diagnose and treat.

If you have ever had liver, kidney, thyroid gland, or Addison's disease (a disease of the adrenal glands), difficulty urinating, or an enlarged prostate, consult your doctor before taking Percocet.

Elderly people or those in a weakened condition should take Percocet cautiously.

This drug may impair your ability to drive a car or operate potentially dangerous machinery. Do not participate in any activities that require full alertness if you are unsure about the drug's effect on you.

Possible food and drug interactions
    when taking this medication
    Return to top

Alcohol may increase the sedative effects of Percocet. You should not take Percocet with alcohol.

If Percocet is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Percocet with the following:
    Antispasmodic drugs such as Cogentin, Bentyl, and Donnatal
    Major tranquilizers such as Thorazine and Mellaril
    Other narcotic painkillers such as Darvon and Demerol
    Sedatives such as phenobarbital and Seconal
    Tranquilizers such as Xanax and Valium

Special information
    if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
    Return to top

It is not known whether Percocet can injure a developing baby or affect a woman's reproductive capacity. Using any medication that contains a narcotic during pregnancy may cause physical addiction for your newborn baby. If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. As with other narcotic painkillers, taking Percocet shortly before delivery (especially at higher dosages) may cause some degree of impaired breathing in the mother and newborn. It is not known whether Percocet appears in breast milk, possibly harming a nursing infant. If you are breastfeeding use Percocet only under a doctor's directions.

Recommended dosage
    Return to top

ADULTS

The usual dose is 1 tablet every 6 hours. Doctors sometimes prescribe a higher dose if necessary. The maximum daily dose recommended for each strength is as follows:
    7.5 strength: 8 tablets
    10 strength: 6 tablets

CHILDREN

The safety and effectiveness of Percocet have not been established in children.

Overdosage
    Return to top

A severe overdose of Percocet can be fatal. If you suspect an overdose, seek medical help immediately.

Symptoms of Percocet overdose may include:
    Bluish skin, eyes or skin with yellow tone, cold and clammy skin, decreased or irregular breathing (ceasing in severe overdose), extreme sleepiness progressing to stupor or coma, heart attack, low blood pressure, muscle weakness, nausea, slow heartbeat, sweating, vague bodily discomfort, vomiting
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

It helped with the pain, but I had an allergic reaction [skin burning] like I do with tylenol 3, but a little milder. I was staying on the perc until I got a scrip for a different opiod [it IS an opiod] but then 2 Thursdays ago my pain was really high and I took the max dose of the percoset for the first time, and took some too close to my benzo sleeping pill -- the pharmacist HAD told me to leave 2 hrs between. Anyway I had a drug interaction that was very unpleasant.

As both oxycodone [the opiod in percoset] and Restoril are both CNS depressents, in some ppl there is an additive effect and that's what happened to me. My chest felt heavy and I was short of breath. In effect, my lungs were TOO relaxed from the meds.

So, be careful.

However, this does not happen to everybody.

Yes, percoset can be addicting so if you take it long term, do not come off suddenly. My massage therapist was just telling me a few days ago about how she actually experienced withdrawal from being on Tylenol 3 for only 2 weeks [max dose for really bad dental pain, bone was exposed] when abruptly stopping. The withdrawal was awful for her.

But, with my recent problems with pain, I have researched the opiods and found articles saying they are not as addicting as is commonly thought if they are taken for moderate to sever pain and taken to dull the pain, not completely eradicate it and not enough to make you high.

If you are taking an amount that makes you high, I gather addiction is much more likely.

You ask how strong this drug is.

That is a good question. Some of the internet sites give comparisons with all the opiods to compare strengths. It would be helpful for you to see that. I will try to find my posting about that.

I was given a scrip for demi-percoset, so I could take the lowest possible dose necessary. I emailed my friends asking if any of them had taken percoset and one responded that she had never taken anything stronger than Tylenol3. That sort of peeved me, cause Tylenol 3 was actually stronger than the percoset I was taking and I was having trouble getting the pain drugs I needed from my doctor who was very wary/scared of the opiods, but these docs aren't afraid to prescribe Tylenol 3 which was even stronger than what I was asking for, you know? If i could take Tylenol 3 I would! Codeine is in the same family as oxycodone, but mention oxycodone or opiods to people and it's like you're talking about crack cocaine....

Vicodin is hydrocodone plus acetominophen. Hydrocodone is in the same family as oxycodone and codeine, but has a slightly different chemical structure.

I'll try to find the comparison chart for strenghts.

jen F
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Please see:

Finally, clarification on all the opiods. Read if confused

and scroll down to find what interests you.

JenI
  5. Myth

Myth New Member

I am on Percocet and find it works quite well for me. My doc put me on them for dibilitating headaches but I find they work for FMS severe pain as well. It is a strong drug, but I do not find it so. I get no side effects, or a 'stoned' feeling so I can work and be on them without worry. I have been on T3's and Darvon and niether of them did one bit of good- same goes for demerol injections. It is hard to get a doctor to put you on this long term, my doc will likely stop giving me prescriptions this time around. When you are on it, I recomend not taking more than you need - just enough to dull the pain to a tolerable level rather than eliminating the pain. They do not last four hours, I will tell you that, but they do a well eough job. I rarely take two- I prefer to make do with one. I usually only take two on a day when I need them but sometimes three. I only use it for unbearable pain for normal to moderate pain I just take fistfulls of asperin! It is a good drug if you are careful not to misuse it. Unfortunately doctors seem to think we all do. It is the best narcotic I have been on and I don't think you have to worry much about addiction if it is short term and you are careful.
    Myth :)
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I am recently right now on vicodins, the lower dosage. They do not help much at all. My husband is on Percocets for pain, I have tried his, and they do work great! Its getting my previous doc to prescribe them to me that is such a problem, because of his misunderstanding, and not listening to me really.

I awoke this morning with a migraine, and it caused me to really cry it hurt so bad. I took a Percocet, within a half hour, I had more energy pain was gone, I went outdoors and mowed the grass, big huge yard too! Did all kinds of housework, and had a pretty good darned day!
    Been sticking with the vicodins and they just don't work, broke down and took the Percocet today. And only one too!

It works wonders for me, hope to get it prescribed soon!
    I can function while taking it for sure!

7. imgreat

imgreat New Member

After the birth of my first baby the Dr. prescribed percocet. The baby was large and very difficult and I was in extreme pain. After taking the correct amount at home I was very interested in a refill. Thankfully the Dr. knew better and offered me tylenol 3 instead. That fast I felt the draw of a medication on me. Now I understand how easy it is for people to get involved with this kind of a medication. I also have chronic pain so please understand I'm not against getting pain relief, just be sure to understand the risks!
  8. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Thanks to all who responded to this post. Jen, you went above & beyond! Thanks. When I get home from work this afternoon I'll look up that post you bumped. You already gave me lots of great info.

Myth, Sunshyne & imgreat - thanks to you also. I am thinking about asking my doc for a script for these. I found that 1/2 pill did the trick. Didn't completely take away the pain but sure made it bearable. My doc is great & very understanding of the pain - he has fms too. I don't want to take them on a daily basis - just when the really bad stuff hits. Sure don't need a drug addition on top of everything else.

Take care.....Kathi
  9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

so upset about the opiods, studies
    certainly show that they do cause a
    dependence effect, but if taken for
    legitimate pain it is NOT addiction.
    It is somewhat easier for a pain patient to wean off of opiods than
    it would be for someone who is using
    them for recreational purposes. As a
    rule after a few days any "high" a
    person might feel will stop..and I never had ANY of those feelings. Tylenol 3 is just Tylenol with Codeine, certainly an addictive drug
    also if taken for the wrong reasons.
    I take the Percocet in Immediate Release form (just capsules so they
    disolve faster) for breakthrough pain
    as needed. There is just a lot of
    ignorance still going on in society and even among doctors, but plenty of
    studies that debunk those old perceptions. Some don't want to know
    and some just don't believe the studies. Since most people aren't dealing with chronic pain they don't
    do the research we do, so they just
    don't know. If you find a good article on the difference about using
    opiods for chronic pain and for recreational uses, print it out and
    give it to your friends and relatives
    who don't understand. It helped me
    a lot to educate those around me.
    Hugs, Bambi
  10. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

When I first started seeing my doctor, he prescribed Darvocet which didn't even touch my pain. The next visit he prescribed Percocet 7.5 every 6 hours. I take 3 daily, on a schedule. One in the early morning when I'm getting ready for work, one around 3-4 pm and one before bedtime. They certainly don't relieve my pain, but takes enough edge off of it that I can function better than before. I've been taking them since November and have never gotten any sort of high at all. But 8-9 years ago when I took Percocet after a surgery, I didn't get a sort of a "high" and would end up sleeping all day.

I don't know how long the doctor will let me take Percocet since it does contain aspirin, but hopefully as long as it allows me to function before I go to something stronger. Since I'm going to have the FMS for the rest of my life (unless they find a cure) I want to increase the strength of medications as slowly as possible.

I also agree with Bambi, there is a big difference between addiction and dependence. But even if there wasn't, with the pain I have every single day, I would just have to be addicted. Madwolf has given some great information about addiction/dependence on opiods. If you do a search for his name or addiction you will find some great information.

Good luck
    Annette
  11. KayL

KayL New Member

percocet works better than lortab, but my doc prescribes lortab.

If you don't mind me asking, what surgeries are you having on your elbow and why? I have constant problems with mine, so that's why I'm asking.

Karen
  12. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

so I'll say thanks again. I am feeling better about asking my doc for some percocet.

Jen, thanks for bumping up the post on the comparison chart. I printed that for future reference.

Karen, the surgeries I had on my elbows are: 4 on my right elbow due to injury from my school bus door!!! This was back in the early to mid 90's when we had manual doors (we all have air doors now) & closing it hundreds of times a day just tore my muscles, tendons & damaged a nerve in that arm. It took all my strength to get that door closed & sometimes it took two tries!

My left arm I don't know how but I managed to tear the tendon & it wouldn't heal so had to go in & clean it up. Then when he sewed up the incision some tiny nerve endings apparently got sewn up in there causing me lots of pain for a whole year. So I just had that taken care of last month. I think I must just have weak elbows. I know I have weak wrists & ankles. I'm just a whimpy thing!! lol

What kind of problems are you having w/your elbows?

Take care......Kathi