Percocet question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Mar 5, 2012.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been on lortab for over 6 1/2 years. My doctor has decided to change it over to Percocet. I dont think I have ever had that before.

I was hopeing that someone could tell me about Percocet. I am a little weary about just cutting the lortab cold turkey, and trying the Percocet. Especially since the Percocet is 10/650 MG.

I was told by a family friend that they are both in the same family, so I really shouldnt have any side effects at all.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Julie
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

You shouldn't have any trouble switching over. I don't know what strength Lortab that you were on, but the Percocet 10 is a stronger strength. Docs normally start a patient out on a 5.

There is a difference between the Lortab and Percocet. One is a hydrocodone and the other is oxycodone. One of them I do fine on and the other makes me so sleepy that I hold my eyes open during the day--and I don't like that feeling.

Did your doc tell you WHY he decided to change your pain med??

Hope you don't have any problems with your new med.

Take care,
  3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I am on lortab 10/500 right now. I have not filled the percocet as of yet. I just got a refill on the lortabs about 2 weeks ago, and the pharmacy will NOT let anyone fill another pain med so quickly.

I have been on the lortab for over 2 years, and the doctor said that 8 a day is my max. He says the next step up is the percocet 10/650. I dont know a thing about them, so I guess I will find out in about another week and a half or so.

I know I had oxycodone while I was in the hospital in December along with morphine. I begged them to quit giving me the morphine, and then I cried for about 2 days. I know the withdraw could have been a lot worse than crying! LOL.

I have had to go to the EMR many times in my life with reactions to meds, and I get a little worried when taking something new. I have been on lortab for over 6 years total, and am suprised that they even somewhat work. 2 at one time work great, but they dont last more than 2 hours, then they start to wear off. The doctor says that the oxycodone should last longer in my system, since I have not been on them for so long.

I just hope, and pray that I can take these ok! :)))

4. JLH

JLH New Member

OMG, I can't believe your dr. said you could take up to 8 Lortab 10/500 a day!!!

I can only take 3 of the Lortab 10/500. Those are prescribed by my rheumy, but my daughter is also a doctor and she is always my unofficial second opinion, and she agrees. At the dose you are taking, you could possibly be in for an overdose of Tylenol, if not that, some damage to your kidneys in the long run from the Tylenol.

Just remember that 50% of all doctors graduated at the BOTTOM of their class!!! So, if you go to more than one doctor, I would ask the doctor who DID NOT prescribe the Lortab what he/she thinks of the quantity you are taking. My daughter has told me not to take more than three a day.

My rheumy just recently prescribed a Butrans Transdermal Patch, 5 mcg/hour. It is a pain patch that can be worn AT THE SAME TIME as taking my Lortab. He started me out on the 5 mcg but it comes in stronger doses too. This way is much safer than taking so many of the Lortab so I won't get too much oxycodone or Tylenol.

I take the pain medication for other conditions than my fibro. As a matter of fact, they don't give me any relief from the fibro. Both of the pain meds are prescribed for spinal cord damage that has affected my back, neck, and legs. I can't stand up nor walk and in a wheelchair.

I have had different pain meds over the past years, but it was always for my back, etc. What the docs consider my fibro meds are the Cymbalta, Neurotin, and Zanaflex that I take. They also say that the Plaquenil that I take for the Lupus that I have should also help.

No matter what, none of the fibro meds, nor my pain meds for the spinal cord damage, help relieve the pain in my back. The only time that I have had any relief from the nerve damage in my back is when I have been given a shot of morphine to help me before I go into surgery ... I can't lie on one of those hard gurneys forever waiting to go into surgery without something like that to rid my pain. As a matter of fact, in the next month or two, I am going to have to have another total knee replacement and will have to go through all of that again. Ugh!!

Good luck with your med change ... I hope you get some relief.

Take care,
  5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I am not worried about my organs shutting down from too much tylenol. I am more interested in living a life with less pain, than a longer life with more pain. That is my decision, and I respect those that do not agree. I just dont want to live longer, just to have more pain.
    I have been a type 1 diabetic for 39 years. Diaognosed at the age of 12, I am very lucky to still be here. As the diabetes is taking over my body, I will probably not live much longer, and that is fine with me. This is why I dont care about saving my organs, just to be in more pain. I will take my chances on living a long time, and being able to still take pain meds and they work. I really cant see that happening.
    I hope to fill the percocet this week. I had to finish up my lortabs, because the pharmacy will NOT fill my new meds until I am done with the tabs. ( some law). My basic concern was knowing if anyone here was on lortab, and quit taking them and started taking percocet. I have taken percocet before, but never just quit the lortab cold turkey, and started on the percocet. I just hope this works. I never had an issue with giving up darvocet and taking lortab back in 2005. (that is how long I have been on the lortab).
    I hope no one takes what I said, that I want to die. I just dont want to live in pain. I refuse to go back to a life as before the lortab where I was in bed 90% of the time, and had no life. Quality, not quantity. :)))
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi -
    You're fine with the amount of Norco you were prescribed. 4000 g/day of Tylenol which is what your 8/day was.
    Percocet is a little stronger. I too made the switch from Norco to Percocet. (a while back)
    Percocet is oxycodone. I now take the kind that has no tylenol in it.

I agree - although no one I know wants to take pain medication, for some it makes the difference in getting up in the morning and having any quality of life.
    No one can say you are being prescribed too much, as everyone is at a different level. No one starts out at x amount per day, but unfortunately we may end up there.

I hope you have some pain free days ahead!
  7. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I agree. My first doctor and I talked a lot about me even going on lortab back in 2005 before I even considered it. I was on Darvocet, and it just wasnt doing the job anymore. I knew going in that I could get liver damage, as well as other issues from them. I didnt care, I just wanted a life, and the pain to be less.

No I dont want to live longer, just to do what is right. I had no life before I ever went on any pain meds. Now I can do most of my housework, and even some yard work. Yes I still have pain, and my muscles get so weak, but its sure a lot less. Anyway, I am glad that I made that decision. With 39 years of type 1 diabetes, I am very lucky to still be alive.

I still have not gotten the Percocet filled. Hopefully in the next week or so. I am kind of afraid how expensive they are.

I have had lots of issues over the years with medications, as far as ending up in the ER. So I get a little paranoid about taking anything new. I just hope that these work, because the lortabs quit working as good back in Dec. I had been on them 2 years, and I guess it was about time that they didnt work anymore. I feel very lucky to have been on the 8 a day for 2 years, and they worked that long.

I think my best bet is to try 1/2 of a pill first, and see how they work.

Thanks to all who replied.

(Hey Janalynn, how does the meds without tylenol work for you?) I know that I went to norco, but was allergic to the yellow dye last year, and had to go back on regular lortabs. The norco had a lot less tylenol in it, and I thought it actually worked better, except for the allergy to the dye.
  8. Jittle

Jittle Member

I just read your post. I have been off line for some time now waiting to finally get a computer that actually works.

By now I am sure you have started the percocet... how is it going? I wanted to tell you, if you did not start it yet, the transition from lortab will be fine. I was lortab until they did not help anymore and now take the percocet and have noticed a great difference in being able to walk, and move around.

9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Julie -
    My meds work fine (well ya know what I mean). If I need an extra boost, I'll take a Tylenol. I do like having the option.

I bet you won't notice a huge "OMG" moment to the Percocet, but may just find a nice bit of relief. Since you've been on pain meds for a bit it shouldn't be a big switch.

I've talked to SO many doctors over the years. 4000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period is the max recommended. If you ever require more of the narcotic medication with less of the Tylenol, you know there is an option out there.

Funny how we are with meds. Lortabs were the one meds that I would have spontaneous vomiting with. No reason, no notice, just once in a while I'd have to go throw up. (weird) It was my least favorite medication. Norco worked well, but the oxycodone is best for me - it's also a higher dose that's probably why!

Generic shouldn't be that expensive. You should also be able to fill since it's a change in dose from other med. My pharmacy has always been able to fill as long as dose or quantity has changed.
    Let me know how it goes!!
    AND I AGREE - Keep on livin' girl - Enjoy the sun, the flowers, your garden, yardwork, every little thing is so precious when enjoyment doesn't come so easily to us. ;)
  10. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I finally found this post, after I posted another one.

I took my first oxycodone yesterday moring at 5 am. I could not even tell I had taken anything. That scared me. I was having such pain. I felt like my body was haveing restless "body" symdrome, instead of restless leg. My whole body has been giving me fits.

Right at this moment I am not hurting as much, but I also did what my first doctor said to do if I am in a very bad way. I cut part of my pill in 1/8 th and put it under my tongue. I wonder if because of my slow diabetic diagestive system is why my pills are not doing anything for the pain.

I also wonder if maybe it could take a few days and if I am having withdraw symptoms from the lortab.

I dont know, all I know is that I have been a basket case, and there is not much I can do. I have been sleeping a little bit. I sleep on a heating pad, and a vibration mat. I hope to get in the bath tub and try that.

Anyway, if anyone knows, or has any suggestions on why they think these percocets are not working, please let me know. From 8 of the 10mg lortabs to 4 of the 10 mgs oxycodone, and I still cant get no relief. That is very odd!!! I honestly think that the lortabs were working better.

11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Julie,
    I think I missed that your Dr. was cutting the number of pills in half. My Dr. made a switch straight across so that I could get more pain relief. In other words, 8 Norco to 8 Percocet. Percocet isn't that much stronger as you've noticed.

They are just a little different med. Some people do better on Hydrocodone than Oxycodone. Some the reverse. You're not getting better relief because you cut your pills in half the amount! Percocet isn't twice as powerful as Lortabs! talk to your Dr. definitely.

BTW - you shouldn't have any withdrawals from the Lortab. You are still getting the narcotic in your system. Any withdrawal you are having is from going down in amount, but that may just be that you're not getting pain relief, not really withdrawals.

12. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks so much for your post. I have been a basket case with this mess.

Yes I was on 8 lortabs, 10/500 mgs and now I am only on 4 percocets, 10/650 mgs. I noticed that the first 4 or 5 tablets of the oxycodone that I took did absolutly nothing for me. That was when I started having all that ungodly pain, and other issues. Now, I notice that I am getting no more than about 15% pain coverage.

I did put a call into my doctor, but of all the days that they are closed, that was today. They hardly ever close on Mondays. Oh well, just my luck. Hopefully they will call me back tomorrow and get something done for me.

I can do so much to help the pain. I have a message mat that I lay on in bed, and of course the trusted heating pad, but that can only do so much.

I just pray that my doctor will do something for me. This is not living.
  13. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I finally got into see the NP this morning. That was a waste of my time. This guy was new, his first day on the job.
    Anyway after talking to him for over 25 minutes, he said that all he could do was to give me antidepressants. Paxil is his drug of choice.
    I have tried Cymbalta, Lyrica, ect and none of them work on me. All they do is make me sick.
    So here I am in ungodly pain, and I just dont know what to do. I cant get into see my regular doctor until June 8th. I dont think I am going to make it.
    My blood sugars are in the 280 to 420 range, and I am not even eating. I know that is from the pain. I did this before I got settled on the lortabs. Once I got my pain under control, my blood sugars got right.
    All I know is that I am just about ready to sign into the mental ward. I cannot live with this pain. I have no life, period. I have no life.