perfume allergy and AVEDA products

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yellowbird, Sep 25, 2005.

1. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I recently bought some hair-pomade by aveda. I am allergic to perfume and their advertising led me to believe they use only essential oils in their products. The stuff stinks & bothers me like chemical perfume, though. A telephone rep. assured me it's got no perfume in it but I don't believe them!

does anyone have any information/experiences?
    is this company lying to its customers?
  2. Annie3

Annie3 New Member

I don't know anything about "lies" per se, but most their products make me absolutely ill--headache, sore throat, nausea and a horrible spike in pain level anytime I so much as smell it on someone else (let alone try to use it on myself). Ironic for a company that makes such grand claims for the purity of their products. I wonder what specific ingredient is the offender---maybe an allergy to a particular herb? My mom is highly allergic to chamomile, of all things.
  3. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

as far as i know i am mostly allergic to perfume, & not to herbs at all... I wonder if they put something in it to make the scent "cling" or last longer, & maybe it's that I'm allergic to... they really insist they use essential oils which i never have a problem with...
  4. Toga

Toga Member

Hi. I have many chemical skin allergies and Aveda Hair Products are the only ones I CAN use.

Scents don't seem to bother me though. Unless, of course, I just don't like them.

My alergic reaction was skin rashes and itchy itchy scalp.

Toga
  5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I personally think they do include essential oils and herbs etc but also use chemical scents in their products too. Shelbo
  6. Toga

Toga Member

Products, I'm not allergic to them. I have given away hundreds of dollars worth of shampoo, conditioner, gel, and hair spray when I was trying to find something I could use. (My daughters and granddaughters were thrilled.)

A hairdresser told me it might be worth trying Aveda. I did and I can use them. I do realize that we are all different and the smells may really attack some people. My problem is skin allergies to certain ingredients that Aveda does not have.

I do wish it was less expensive though.

Toga
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Toga, it may seem like you are spending alot of money on the Aveda products you use, and yes, they are a higher line then some other professional lines, but in the long run, you are saving yourself money and doing your hair a big favor.
    Professional products are much more concentrated, so you only need to you a fraction of what you would with drugstore products. Drugstore products have harsh detergents that strip your hair of their natural oils and the exspensive color you just put on your hair. The have a high percentage of salt in them to thicken it, so that way they can put much less of the "good" ingredients. They also have lots of waxes in their conditioners that coat the hair, leaving a heavy build up on it which will prevent any chemical service from working properly.
    Their styling products do what they say they will do, with the proper haircut, of course. They can't perform miracles ;)
    If they aren't working for you, then you need to ask your stylist to show you how to use them and how to style your hair with them, it is their job to help you.
    A hairstylist,
    Raz
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

9. Toga

Toga Member

that using professional hair products are best. I've used only professional products since the 1970's. I've loved Redken, Matrix, Biologe, etc.

The only professional one I didn't like was Nexus. I couldn't get it rinsed out. It seemed waxy to me. But some people love it. My SIL who is a hairdresser thinks its just wonderful.

But then, I became allergic to all my favorites. That's when I was trying so many things and why my daughter and granddaughter were so happy to get all these wonderful professional products.

Aveda was my answer. I've found that if you buy them in the larger liter size containers they are more economical. Once I figured out which ones I really liked the best, that's how I got them.

If you have scent allergies, there has to be some good unscented products out there. Does anyone know of any?

Toga
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

do refills as well. Ours does, not on everthing we sell, because we sell alot of different lines, but the ones we do, we sell at 20% off the current retail price. Buying in liter sizes definetly saves you money as well.
    Raz
  11. BethM

BethM New Member

I use their moisturizer/sunblock, as it protects with zinc oxide, not the synthetic sunscreens most products use. I break out in a lovely rash from conventional sunscreen chemicals.

I let someone at an AVEDA salon make up my face, just with foundation and blush and top powder, and my face itched for a couple of hours after. Might have been the brush she used, but I won't buy their makeup. I've been using Bare Esencuals (sp?) mineral makeup with good success for a few weeks now.

I've tried the AVEDA hair products, did not like them, don't remember why, though.

For having so many similarities, we are all so different, too!

I'd been using Olay Regenerist night creme, but had to stop last week as I was waking up with a fine red rash on my cheeks. darn. I'm back to pure shea butter again.

Peace,
    Beth.