Perhaps a clue for us......a cause maybe

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Sep 17, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Found this during my web surfing, interesting

Living Next Door To Plum Island
    The Journal of Degenerative Diseases
    By Marjorie Tietjen
    Daystar1952@yahoo.com
    8-6-2

(AFP) - Nearly half of the British army's main battle tanks broke down in the heat of desert exercises, while its long range guns could move only slowly and at night and soldiers' boots fell apart.

These are just a few of the problems which British troops faced during ExercisLyme Disease - Denial of Treatment and Doctor Persecution

The Lyme Disease epidemic, along with it's many co-infections, is sweeping across North America like Wildfire. At the same time doctors who are courageous enough to treat the chronic Lyme patients till they are well, are being picked off one by one.

In the Connecticut/New York area where I live, doctors have to be very careful concerning the number of Lyme patients they treat and also how long they treat them for. Patients are not getting the antibiotics they require and as a result their disease can become irreversible and progressively more debilitating. People have died from Lyme Disease. When patients begin to go downhill many of those who were originally diagnosed with Lyme are now assigned different disease labels, according to what ever organ system is affected. It appears that this is one method of downplaying an epidemic.

Yale University is one of the main forces behind Lyme patients' treatment denial. Yale contends that 3 to 4 weeks of antibiotics is a sufficient protocol for just about every case. If a patient is still sick with the exact same symptoms on the 31st day of treatment, they now, according to Yale, no longer have an active infection but automatically now have an autoimmune problem....Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression or "antibiotic seeking behavior".

I have yet to see any evidence provided by Yale that would support this theory or speculation. Testing is very inaccurate which means it cannot be used as definite proof of infection or noninfection. Many chronic lyme patients will tell the same story of relapsing when antibiotics are discontinued. Some doctors claim that patients continue to improve when on extended antibiotics (after the approved one month period) because the antibiotics may have an antinflammatory or immunomodulatory effect and are not improving necessarily because the drugs are killing off an active infection. It is possible that the antibiotics may be working by some other mechanism that we are not yet aware of, but the point is that, if the treatment is working and has minimal side effects, then isn't it better to treat and prevent inevitable deterioration of the patient.... at least until a better solution is found?

There is much talk in the mainstream media concerning antibiotic resistance and this concept is used many times to justify nontreatment. We all know that the concept of antibiotic resistance has validity but it is never mentioned that certain labs are intentionally creating antibiotic resistant microbes for biowarfare purposes. These "modified" biologicals require some sort of field testing. Could the Lyme Disease spirochete be modified...a product of biowarfare research? Could this be the reason it is so difficult to eradicate? Another troubling thought is why are chronic acne patients allowed to recieve years of antibiotic treatment with no hassle whatsoever, when those with a much more serious, often progressive disease, are denied the same treatment?

Many place the blame of this strange behavior from the medical community, mainly on the insurance companies. I question this and feel that the reasons for treatment denial go much deeper. Insurance companies most likely do play a role. However, it appears to me that it would be many times more expensive for insurance companies to refuse paying for long term antibiotic treatment ( especially considering that oral antibiotics are fairly inexpensive) than it would be to treat those patients. The patients who are refused antibiotics and are told they have an autoimmune disease or that it is 'all in their heads', proceed to go from doctor to doctor and many end up recieving almost every medical test known to man, including MRIs, X-Rays, tilt table tests, Spect Scans, antidepressant medications...and I could go on almost indefinitely. Costs for those denied antibiotics become astronomical.

As I was trying to make sense of this extremely puzzling, nonsensical situation, I was sent some information from a very reliable source, which stated that 60% of chronic lyme patients are coinfected with several strains of mycoplasma, the most common one being "mycoplasma fermentens" which is patented by the U.S. Army and army pathologist Dr. Lo!

Lo, Shyh-Ching-Pathogenic mycoplasma-U.S. Patent 5,242,820 issued Sept. 7, 1993.

It is becoming evident that any microbe that has been "modified" is considered "off limits" for treatment and any physician that takes these chronic infections seriously, is targeted for harassment. This same pathogen is found in Gulf war Illness, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue patients! Could this be the main reason why the symptoms of all these diseases overlap to such a degree and all seem to have emerged around the same time period?

As mentioned in an earlier issue of the Journal of Degenerative Diseases, I live and work almost directly across the water from Plum Island, off the tip of Long Island, N.Y.. Years ago, in 1897, the War Dept. owned Plum Island which was then called Fort Terry. In 1954 the Army officially transferred Fort Terry over to the USDA to be used as an animal disease laboratory. Fairly recently Plum Island requested 75 million dollars to upgrade the facility to a bio-level 4 status for the express purpose of reinstating biowarfare research.

It seems very coincidental that....

1) Lyme disease is endemic to all land areas surrounding Plum Island.

2) Many Lyme and Gulf war Ilness patients are infected with the same genetically engineered organism (mycoplasma fermentens) created and patented by the US Government.

3) Lyme Disease and Gulf War Illness share almost identical symptoms.

4) Doxycycline is one of the drugs of choice for both diseases.

5) Both sets of patients are being denied antibiotic treatment.

6) I spoke with Dr. Thomas, the previous Director of Plum Island, who admitted that an Iraqi researcher (who has since been murdered) did his graduate training at Plum Island, specifically involving different strains of mycoplasma. He went back to Iraq and headed up the mycoplasma research program at the University of Bagdad. I asked Dr. Thomas if Plum Island ever worked with mycoplasmas in general. She denied this at the beginning but gradually admitted researching 7 different different strains. I asked if Plum Island researchers ever worked with mycoplasma fermentens. She was immediately familiar with that particular genetically engineered strain although she did deny that Plum Island researchers ever worked with it.

7) Yale University often works with Plum Island on various projects and they are in close proximity to each other.

8) Yale, again, is one of the main opponents of long term antibiotic treatment for Lyme Disease in spite of it's obvious benefits.

It is extremely suspicious that one of the most Lyme-endemic areas in the country only has a handful of doctors that will treat chronic patients. Syphilis is also a spirochetal disease, as is lyme. and is known to sometimes require open-ended antibiotic treatment. Webster's dictionary states that untreated Syphilis may result in the degeneration of many organs and tissues of the human body. Could Lyme disease be another Tuskegee experiment?

2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Found this during my web surfing, interesting

Living Next Door To Plum Island
    The Journal of Degenerative Diseases
    By Marjorie Tietjen
    Daystar1952@yahoo.com
    8-6-2

(AFP) - Nearly half of the British army's main battle tanks broke down in the heat of desert exercises, while its long range guns could move only slowly and at night and soldiers' boots fell apart.

These are just a few of the problems which British troops faced during ExercisLyme Disease - Denial of Treatment and Doctor Persecution

The Lyme Disease epidemic, along with it's many co-infections, is sweeping across North America like Wildfire. At the same time doctors who are courageous enough to treat the chronic Lyme patients till they are well, are being picked off one by one.

In the Connecticut/New York area where I live, doctors have to be very careful concerning the number of Lyme patients they treat and also how long they treat them for. Patients are not getting the antibiotics they require and as a result their disease can become irreversible and progressively more debilitating. People have died from Lyme Disease. When patients begin to go downhill many of those who were originally diagnosed with Lyme are now assigned different disease labels, according to what ever organ system is affected. It appears that this is one method of downplaying an epidemic.

Yale University is one of the main forces behind Lyme patients' treatment denial. Yale contends that 3 to 4 weeks of antibiotics is a sufficient protocol for just about every case. If a patient is still sick with the exact same symptoms on the 31st day of treatment, they now, according to Yale, no longer have an active infection but automatically now have an autoimmune problem....Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression or "antibiotic seeking behavior".

I have yet to see any evidence provided by Yale that would support this theory or speculation. Testing is very inaccurate which means it cannot be used as definite proof of infection or noninfection. Many chronic lyme patients will tell the same story of relapsing when antibiotics are discontinued. Some doctors claim that patients continue to improve when on extended antibiotics (after the approved one month period) because the antibiotics may have an antinflammatory or immunomodulatory effect and are not improving necessarily because the drugs are killing off an active infection. It is possible that the antibiotics may be working by some other mechanism that we are not yet aware of, but the point is that, if the treatment is working and has minimal side effects, then isn't it better to treat and prevent inevitable deterioration of the patient.... at least until a better solution is found?

There is much talk in the mainstream media concerning antibiotic resistance and this concept is used many times to justify nontreatment. We all know that the concept of antibiotic resistance has validity but it is never mentioned that certain labs are intentionally creating antibiotic resistant microbes for biowarfare purposes. These "modified" biologicals require some sort of field testing. Could the Lyme Disease spirochete be modified...a product of biowarfare research? Could this be the reason it is so difficult to eradicate? Another troubling thought is why are chronic acne patients allowed to recieve years of antibiotic treatment with no hassle whatsoever, when those with a much more serious, often progressive disease, are denied the same treatment?

Many place the blame of this strange behavior from the medical community, mainly on the insurance companies. I question this and feel that the reasons for treatment denial go much deeper. Insurance companies most likely do play a role. However, it appears to me that it would be many times more expensive for insurance companies to refuse paying for long term antibiotic treatment ( especially considering that oral antibiotics are fairly inexpensive) than it would be to treat those patients. The patients who are refused antibiotics and are told they have an autoimmune disease or that it is 'all in their heads', proceed to go from doctor to doctor and many end up recieving almost every medical test known to man, including MRIs, X-Rays, tilt table tests, Spect Scans, antidepressant medications...and I could go on almost indefinitely. Costs for those denied antibiotics become astronomical.

As I was trying to make sense of this extremely puzzling, nonsensical situation, I was sent some information from a very reliable source, which stated that 60% of chronic lyme patients are coinfected with several strains of mycoplasma, the most common one being "mycoplasma fermentens" which is patented by the U.S. Army and army pathologist Dr. Lo!

Lo, Shyh-Ching-Pathogenic mycoplasma-U.S. Patent 5,242,820 issued Sept. 7, 1993.

It is becoming evident that any microbe that has been "modified" is considered "off limits" for treatment and any physician that takes these chronic infections seriously, is targeted for harassment. This same pathogen is found in Gulf war Illness, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue patients! Could this be the main reason why the symptoms of all these diseases overlap to such a degree and all seem to have emerged around the same time period?

As mentioned in an earlier issue of the Journal of Degenerative Diseases, I live and work almost directly across the water from Plum Island, off the tip of Long Island, N.Y.. Years ago, in 1897, the War Dept. owned Plum Island which was then called Fort Terry. In 1954 the Army officially transferred Fort Terry over to the USDA to be used as an animal disease laboratory. Fairly recently Plum Island requested 75 million dollars to upgrade the facility to a bio-level 4 status for the express purpose of reinstating biowarfare research.

It seems very coincidental that....

1) Lyme disease is endemic to all land areas surrounding Plum Island.

2) Many Lyme and Gulf war Ilness patients are infected with the same genetically engineered organism (mycoplasma fermentens) created and patented by the US Government.

3) Lyme Disease and Gulf War Illness share almost identical symptoms.

4) Doxycycline is one of the drugs of choice for both diseases.

5) Both sets of patients are being denied antibiotic treatment.

6) I spoke with Dr. Thomas, the previous Director of Plum Island, who admitted that an Iraqi researcher (who has since been murdered) did his graduate training at Plum Island, specifically involving different strains of mycoplasma. He went back to Iraq and headed up the mycoplasma research program at the University of Bagdad. I asked Dr. Thomas if Plum Island ever worked with mycoplasmas in general. She denied this at the beginning but gradually admitted researching 7 different different strains. I asked if Plum Island researchers ever worked with mycoplasma fermentens. She was immediately familiar with that particular genetically engineered strain although she did deny that Plum Island researchers ever worked with it.

7) Yale University often works with Plum Island on various projects and they are in close proximity to each other.

8) Yale, again, is one of the main opponents of long term antibiotic treatment for Lyme Disease in spite of it's obvious benefits.

It is extremely suspicious that one of the most Lyme-endemic areas in the country only has a handful of doctors that will treat chronic patients. Syphilis is also a spirochetal disease, as is lyme. and is known to sometimes require open-ended antibiotic treatment. Webster's dictionary states that untreated Syphilis may result in the degeneration of many organs and tissues of the human body. Could Lyme disease be another Tuskegee experiment?

3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Or am I grasping at straws again????

Jaci
  4. sybil

sybil New Member

is something we don't have a lot of in the u.k.
    i'm not even sure if we have it at all.
    so i don't think it is the only cause for FMS/CFS

sybilxxx
  5. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Jaci,

I have read a lot of information on mycoplasmas recently on the web. Seems that there could be a possible tie to chronic diseases, like fibro and Gulf War syndrome, but nothing definitive. I do know several people that believe it though. It's pretty scary stuff to think that so many people could be chronically ill due to our own government experimenting with bio-engineered war. If that is the case, there's really nothing that we can do about it because it will never be proven. We can beg our doctors for a 6-week cycle of doxycycline, which is the antibiotic that has been administered to some people with fibro and actually helped them. Evidently the strong course of this antibiotic is supposed to wipe out the mycoplasmas so that your own immune system can begin to function properly and heal your body. I am going to see my doctor in 2 weeks and ask about this therapy. I have a document on this subject that I printed out (I think from the immunesupport website) that is titled: Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Mycoplasmal Infections in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndromes: Relationship to Gulf War Illness". If you cannot find this article, you can email me and I will send you a copy, or I can fax it to you. I'm giving a copy to my doctor.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2002]
  6. roro

roro New Member

Lyme disease and mycoplasma are two entirely different things. The article looks like it is talking about lyme disease. I had lyme disease in 95, and was treated with 6 weeks on antibiotic. a year later is when my joint pain in my knees began. shortly after that i became very ill. The tests they use to detect lyme are not very sensitive and give false negatives often. Great smokies labs has a more sensitive lyme test. I had that done recently and it was negative. I do beleive that even those who have cleared lyme can still remain sick, that is, it does permanent damage. I also beleive some people have not cleared it but it is no longer showing up on the standard tests. anyone who has had lyme disease and is still sick should get the great smokies test.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lyme Disease is one that is often misdiagnosed only to be found to be FMS later. Some with FMS have been found to have Lyme Disease. They are not mutually exclusive and mycoplasma infection may be an infection of opportunity. The new protocol for antibiotics is a six-month course instead of six weeks when there is a known chronic mycoplasma infection. No one, it seems, rids the body of mycoplasmas before six months. If one does not have chronic mycoplasma infection, the antibiotics will have little effect. Chronic mycoplasma infections are often misdiagnosed due to false negative lab results.

Since the antibiotics do not directly kill the mycoplasma bacteria, there is less chance of their mutating to a resistant form. However, that doesn't mean that treatment might not cause some other bacteria in the system to become resistant.

There is a HUGE risk in allowing mycoplasmas to thrive in the body. The biggest risk is that this can lead to a life-threatening auto-immune illness like Lupus or a very debilitating disease like MS.

At least 60-70 percent of us with FMS/CFS have chronic mycoplasma infections. That is a HUGE incidence. These critters are so virulent and stealth that it can take years on antibiotics to rid the body of them so that the immune system can kill off the stragglers. Therefore, it is critical to build the immune system while killing off the bacteria.

Stealth viral infections may play as big a part in our illnesses as the mycoplasmas. The ProHealth founder is helping fund research into infectious factors in our illnesses.

I have never heard of "antiobiotic-seeking behavior." Why in the world would anyone want to take them if not necessary? They are not without their risks and side effects. They do not provide a "high," so to suggest that anyone would seek them as one would seek narcotics is rediculous.

Love, Mikie