Perimenopause, Menopause and Post Menopause

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betsy2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

It seems to me that this DD most often strikes middle age women. Does it have something to do with Menopause, changing hormones and estrogen levels? I don't know, maybe I am just rattling on once again. Just a thought
  2. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Hey Betsy2,

You may be right...I'm only 39 and am going through menopause: surgically induced. Most of my symptoms have gotten worse as the M has progressed. My Dr is sending me to an endocronologist to see if there's anything they can suggest to help. I remember reading an article about the fluctuating hormones of Menopause and how they may aid or aggravate the symptoms of FMS and CFS amongst other things.

jeniwren
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2003]
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I am 50 and going through the peri menopause/menopause thing right now.

I have read so many articles that say alot of the peri menopause symptoms mimick or enhance the fm.

It will be intersting to see if we improve any once we get over the hump..so to speak.

You are definitely not alone!! Sher
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There are many children, old folks, and men diagnosed with this, and even though they are not the majority, they make up about 20% of us who could not have it do to menopause.
    Menopause puts stress on the body, and any stress makes this worse, so I think that's the connection.
    My FMS was a lot worse during perimenopause, and has improved a lot since menopause.
    In this, as in most other things, we are all different.
    I agree with Dr. R. paul St. Amand, who says he believes FMS is a genetic disease on the X chromosome with multiple genes involved, and autosomal dominant.
    This would explain why mostly women get it, and why some get it as children (having multiple genes for it) and some not until old age (having only one gene for it). The autosomal dominant nature of this genetic transmission would explain why 50% of children of a mom with FMS get it eventually.
    Klutzo
  5. baybe

baybe New Member

than the actual menopause. You will probably see over time how many of us had hysterectomies. Fibro is often exacerbated by surgeries or accidents, so maybe from that point of view it may happen. I had the same experience that you have had, now I guess I don't worry so much what brought it on as much as what I can do. But definitely have asked the questions. My thoughts are with you as you go through this, keep on asking!
  6. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I was actually diagnosed with FMS in 1982 at age 32 but I probably have had it for much longer. Twenty years later, I feel worse than ever and am waiting for a hearing for SSD. I also wondered if hormone levels made symptoms worse, but I've never found any answers one way or the other.

Jan ^v^

[ advertisement ]