Period More Fibro. Pain: Any Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HanginginNYC, Jul 30, 2008.

1. HanginginNYC

HanginginNYC New Member

Hi. It seems like every time I have my period once a month, I suffer so much that I have to miss work because I cannot walk because the fibromyalgia is so bad (almost three days in one week). I am seeing a woman rheumatologist next month in NYC who has women’s interests in mind, but before then I will have another period. Does anyone know of a medication that can be taken or that you take that will reduce the fibromyalgia pain (not necessarily the pain from the period) during that time? I also have really bad periods maybe due to my hypothyroid disease. I do take Ultracet up to five times a day, but if becomes not as effective on my period.

What possible treatments have worked for you? Has anyone heard of the medication that will stop your period? Has anyone tried it? If so, was it successful and what are the possible side effects of this medication, both short-term and long-term? Are they really bad?

I am also open to alternative health options.

Any ideas?

2. maryl

maryl New Member

Hi. I don't know what age you are, but I had that problem
    pre-menopause and my Dr. said the only thing that would
    help was hormones. I went on Prempro and it did help.
    I would also do a look up for things you can do to make
    that time of the month easier: Like eating green leafy
    vegetables and reducing caffeine, and drinking more water
    to flush your system. Sorry I don't remember all the
    hints, but I'm sure you'll find them. Hope this helps.
  3. baanders

baanders New Member

if you're older than 34, have a family history of strokes or heart attacks.

because you're so inactive, you could have a stroke. I think the younger ladies could. I'm 35 and I have the same problem. I hate the premenstrual muscle pain, but I'd rather not have a stroke.

If you find an answer, let us know

4. tandy

tandy New Member

Thee are a few pill packs for contraception that will almost eliminate your period or make it very little.
    (spotting if anything)
    most people all together stop
    bleeding monthly. I believe one of them is called YAZ,.. but there are a few.
    I take the injections of depo. They are given evry 12 weeks and I don't get a period anymore.

Talk to your gyno.
    Best of luck~
  5. HanginginNYC

HanginginNYC New Member

Thanks, everyone for your responses! I am 40 years old without a history of strokes in my family. I went to my doctor today who gave me the full hormonal panel and referred me to a gynecologist to see if we can get the period stopped somehow. I am grateful for everyone’s insight.

6. spmom

spmom New Member

I would love to hear more about how things go for you. I am also 40 and have increased pain (sometimes like labor contractions) one week before my period and about 2-3 days into it. I also get very fatigued and generally feel out of it during that time. I know that my progesterone bottoms out toward the end of my cycle making me estrogen dominent then, but I don't have a good way to correct this problem. I've thought about the pill maybe.