Periods and fibro flares??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vueluv, May 28, 2008.

1. vueluv

vueluv New Member

I seem to have an increase in my pain the week before my periods and wanted to know if this happens to anyone else. I'm 46, perimenopausal if anything, and I just know there is a connection. If anyone has any suggestions, please post. Yesterday and today were really bad. I managed to get worked in with my pain dr and received trigger point injections (for the first time) but I really don't want to have to go through with them every month.
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I just turned 48, and the week leading up to my period is often chocked full of pain. I do my best to get through it but fibro most definitely magnifies pre-menstrual symptoms in my opinion.

The one thing I try and do is not over exert myself during this time. Sometimes it's unavoidable, and that can contribute to my stress factor. Grab as much rest as you can, and get off your feet when the pain gets out of hand.

I hope you get a little consolation out of the fact that alot of us experience heightened pre-menstrual pain. Just another facet for the female fibro sufferer.

3. kel78

kel78 Member

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I'm 48 and probably started perimenopause about 10 years ago, with symptoms increasing slowly over the years. In more recent years, I've noticed a huge worsening of my fibromyalgia and have added CFIDS to the mix, and I suspect hormonal changes had at least something to do with this.

I now know precisely when I ovulate because the pain is excruciating. I also get terrible breast tenderness/pain from the time of ovulation until my period starts, and breast pain never used to be a problem with me. (However, evening primrose oil GREATLY lessens the breast pain. I highly recommend it!) I also have increased pain in other areas of my body from ovulation until my period starts, especially in my back and abdominal/pelvic area.

My fibromyalgia had been pretty manageable with exercise until I hit perimenopause. Now it's sometimes disabling, and does keep me from doing some things I love to do. With the added chronic fatigue, I have to conserve my energy when I can so that I'm able to make it to work every (or almost every) day.

Best to you,
  4. NicolaG2

NicolaG2 New Member

I'm 45 and apparently in menopause according to lab work! As if I don't have enough to deal with :)

Although i don't have FM, I find that 2 days before my period the fatigue, aches, headaches, brain fog is almost unbearable. Each month I kept thinking that I was crashing again big time, but the penny finally dropped a couple of months ago.

When it happens, i rest as much as I can and just try to accept it and go with it. Luckily it is only for 2 days before and the 1st day of. However, this clearly can't be as easy for you as you are having to deal with tremendous pain.

I am so sorry you have to gone through this. I wonder if there is something (meds) you can take or up the dosage of a few days before that might preempt some of it. Messed up hormones whether we are perimenopausal or not seem to be some part of the picture for all of us.

I am currently reading everything I can on bioidentical hormones and it is really starting to make sense to me.
  5. charming

charming New Member

I have no periods and im 41 but I have one ovary and it ovulate somtimes and once in a while I cramp or get bloated. I had a hysterectomy at the age of 36 so I hadn't had a period and don't regret it casuse befor the hysterectomy I had periods almost everyday of the month because or a large cyst on my ovary leaking fluids and fibroids all over my about pain
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Only for me its a lyme flare. My doctor says its very common for those with lyme to have more pain during this week. As if we don't have enough to deal with.
  7. vueluv

vueluv New Member

It's good to hear that I'm not alone in this hormone/pain stuff! I called to make an appt with my gyn today and just told the nurse I needed to talk about hormones!!! We both laughed. I just know there's a connection. Anyone used black cohash?
  8. Debdelo

Debdelo New Member

My Doctor put me on the pill even though I am 40 and even though I have my tubes tied. The difference is amazing.