Periods of Fatigue and being Sleepy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Haven't been here for awhile. Hoping someone has something to add, suggest, etc.

For the last 4 days, at least, I've slept for at least 12 hours. I don't awake feeling refreshed which I know often happens with Fibro/CF. I can miss entire days due to sleeping.

I had 2 cataract surgeries in June. Also, had brohncitis for 3 weeks afterwards. Spent several weeks at our cottage, and kept fairly busy. Hosted a birthday party for my mom 8/4. I have problems with regular sleep patterns. Sometimes I'm fine and other times, like now, my sleeping, or not, has a mind of it's own. And, with all of the barometric changes we've had this summer, I have many days of pain. My legs, feet and arms feeling like they are hot and ready to explode.

This has kept me from seeing my friends as often as I would like. I do get out, but this last 3 weeks, it hasn't been often. I was diagnosed eight years ago and my life has changed so much. I did have BC in 1998 when I was 41. Back and neck surgery was done in 2007. Something went wrong and I had a heart attack, and both liver and kidneys shut down. They put me in a coma for a week. I had less than 40 % chance of survival. The doctor's said the only reason I lived is because I fought so hard. I know it took a big toll on me. Of course, there are other stressors in my life. We all have those.

I am bipolar. Medications work for me. Always have some low depression, but still enjoy life, family and friends...unless I feel like I do now. I can't tell if my current depression is from the way I feel physically, or otherwise.

I've been up for 1 1/2 hours and have struggled to stay awake. I could put my head back now and sleep. It's all or nothing for me! LOL

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I take supplements, herbs, and my bipolar meds. I'm just tired of all of this. Physically and emotionally. I do take a hydrocondone (sp) and a muscle relaxer when I absolutely have to. I use zinc, calcium and mag. This is so depressing..

Feel free to interject, share or whatever you have to suggest. I am open to all!

I hope the rest of the weekend is a nice one for everyone! Kim
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Kim!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are hurting so much and so very fatigued. Those 2 symptoms have always been the worst for me on and off since I was dx'd with CFS and fibro. I remember sleeping 10-12 hours at night and then a nap right after work about 4 years into these DD's and also having severe fibro pain. My dr. finally gave me Hydrocodone and Flexeril back then and it helped me to at least make it through a work day okay.

These days I take Hydrocodone, Zanaflex (a muscle relaxer) as needed which is rare and Cymbalta (for panic disorder). I was just dx'd with bipolar II and take Lamictal which works really good. The thing that is really helping me with the fatigue is believe it or not Adderral 20 mg. twice a day. I was surprised when my psych wanted to put me on it but he said that he has other patients who have CFS and or fibro and it helps them a lot with the fatigue. I don't know if your dr. would prescribe it for you or not but it has worked wonders for me! I now sleep 8-9 hours at night and never take naps anymore. I hate being on so many meds but I figure that maybe someday in the near future I can go off of some and go more holistic. I also take Vita-B12, MSM and CoQ10 for memory, fatigue and immune function. I notice when I forget to take them even for one day I feel worse so they must be working!

Wow, you have had a LOT of surgeries and stress! Especially having the recent cataract surgeries in June. My mom had cataract surgery in May and is still having fatigue issues but it is getting better. I have always believed that anesthesia plays a big part in our immune system and have heard that it can take one to even 6 months to get completly out of your system. Just a thought. I am sure you will get a lot of replies on this post so I hope that you get some good ideas to try and I hope that I helped some. Take care and I hope you are feeling better really soon!

Faith, Peace and Comfort, Julie
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for responding to my post. I'm fighting sleep as I type.

I've asked my psych. doc about adderall, also. She's afraid it might put me in a mania state. HA! It's been years since one of those. My symptom is major depressive order. I am Bipolar II, on Lamictal (heaven sent), and Wellbutrin SR as my anti-d. I'm not sure she knows about fibro as needed. Hydrocondone helps me and she was surprised.. Actual quote: "I'm surprised hydr., works for your fibro pain." DUH!!!

I didn't have general anesthesia. Just the one that puts you in an 'amnesiac' state. Hadn't thought of it, but what you've written makes sense. On top of that I was very busy for 3 weeks...and here I am.

When I'm not as tired, I will reread your post! It is good to hear from someone who understands.

Thanks again!

4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Kim!

Thanks so much for your reply! It seems as if we have a lot in common so I thought I would reply back again. I too have had spinal surgeries. 2 cervical discectomies and 1 rotater cuff repair on my shoulder. I too have fibro and am Bipolar II and take Lamictal. You're right, it truly is a godsend! I was so scared when I was dx'd that it would take a long time to get the meds right but was very lucky with the Lamictal.

I also suffer a lot more with the depressive side of bipolar and only experienced high manias when I was in my teens and 20's. That's why my dr. figured that the Adderral would be okay for me to try. I have to admit that I was a little manic on and off for the first few weeks on it but never felt out of control or anything. Now it just seems to help me with the fatigue and my ADD, yep I have that too (another reason to be on the Adderral) Too bad your dr. would'nt try a low dose for your fatigue.

I can totally relate to you about the extreme fatigue. Been there, done that and it is so awful. I think you just got run down from the surgeries and from running around for 3 weeks and your body is telling you to just get some extra sleep for now. I'm sure that it's very hard for you to focus or concentrate feeling the way you do right now! Also the pain is always worse with fibro when you get run down and can put you into to a flare. Hopefully you can just concentrate on geting the sleep you need for now and then you will start to feel less fatigue and pain.

How long have you had bipolar? Any advice or comments would be truly appreciated since I'm new to all of it and it's kind of scary sometimes. I so hope that you get to feeling better soon and I hope to hear from you sometime. Take care!

Faith and Peace, Julie
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I was happy to see your post this morning!

My Bipolar was diagnosed in 1999/2000. At first, in my 20's-late 30's, I had the mania to go along with it. I loved those HIGHS and dreaded when I'd crash. It took a toll on me and my family. In my early 30's I was put on an anti-d and klonopin (sp) for anxiety. Of course, found out years down the road, only an anti-depressant for a Bipolar is not a good thing! At that time they didn't know I was BP. Finally, had a psych doc who figured it out. Worked on several combonations until I found my correct 'cocktail' of drugs. It is the Wellbutrin XR, trazadone (sleep), Lamictal, klonopin, and Ambian. You'd think with an 'arsenal' like this, I would sleep for a 100 years! LOL

I was diagnosed with ADD also, two years ago. It was by another psych dr., and I felt so much better...until I totally crashed. Went back to same practice I go to now. Maybe my dose was too high. I always have low level depression, even with my meds. The ADD med helped with that. Until I crashed. But I'm still going to push for it again after reading your success. I think a very low dose would do wonders for me!

We live in the midwest and our weather is in constant change. The sun is great, when we have it, but the barometer is constantly going up and down. Dry heat (which we haven't had this year) is great for me, even if it's at a high temp. But, heat and humidity really sets off my fibro. There is little sun in our part of the state. Sometime, some way, somehow, I will end up in a state with better weather! GRIN

With Bipolar, I suggest keeping on your meds. So many people go off of them because they feel they're not working, or don't 'feel' like themsevles. Even with depression and pain, this is still a better life for me and everyone I come in contact with. The first moment you feel 'off' or like they are not working (which many not apply to you ever), get an appointment with you Dr. right away. I find, trying to keep my life in balance helps, BUT, whose life is ever really in balance! LOL Some time to myself, be it meditation, reading ,etc., for a short period of time, refreshes our souls. I need lots of sun!!!! Winters are usually reall difficult for me. I have one of those light boxes and it does help some. I know some people use tanning beds. Not as often as for a tan, but enough to keep their 'blue uglies' at bay. I try, but lately it hasn't worked much, to rememember I won't always feel depressed when I'm in a bad way. That better days will come along. Sometimes is easier than others! I also read and researched everything I could regarding BPII. I've helped educate my doctor several times! LOL And I go to the best practice around my part of the state. As the saying goes; you're never to old to keep on learning. Bipolar is frightening when first diagnosed! All I could remember was how they portrayed BP patients in movies, etc. And it still puts off some people. I tell those I feel comfortable with, and my family, but for the most part; feel it's not anyone else's business,

I agree, I think I did get run down. Cataract surgery seemed so easy, I didn't take time to 'lay low' for awhile. When I don't slow down, it leads into a major flare, and depression. Thank you for reminding me!

Time for a warm bath. Humidity is high and muscles are aching.

I really have enjoyed 'talking' with you. I so appreciate your insight! Sometimes it's hard to stand back, from ourselves, and see how we feel in a different light!

If you have any questions re: BP or anything else feel free to write! Just put my Kim or my screen name in the 'box'. Maybe we can keep in touch? To have someone know how you feel is a good thing!

Have a good Sunday!

Hugs, Kim

6. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Kim!

I'm soooooo sorry that I did not reply until now! I usually get an email when I have a reply from this board but did'nt get one on yours! I was gone all day today and did'nt get home until 7:00 then dinner, dishes and here I am. My hubby has been having prostate problems ( prostatitis ) and we went to the urologist this morning. The good news is that he does'nt have cancer or tumors but even though they took the catheter out they sent him home with a self catheterazation kit, good times, lol! He's not a happy camper about this and I had to do it for him today, twice because he still can't pee on his own. We will both be glad when this is over, it's been a long haul.

Anyways, I had a drs. appt. too today then we went to Walmart, grocery shopping and to a friend's to visit. Wow am I tired! I'll probably sleep 12 hours tonite like you have been,lol! I was so happy to see your reply and would definetly like to stay in touch. We have so much in common and are even the same age!! I also have ADD as well,lol! Boy what a twosome we are! Thank you so much for all of your advice and info about the bipolar. It really helped a lot! I will never go off of my bipolar meds no matter what as I have also read and researched a lot about this and know how lethal that can be. It sounds like you may have seasonal affect disorder too (which I have as well) I'm amazed that you and I have such a good sense of humor given all of our DD's and problems! I always say that if I did'nt have a sense of humor I'd be dead,lol!

I'm sorry to hear that your fibro pain is so bad right now! The weather plays a big part in mine too esp. with the constant changes. I take a lot of hot baths too and use ice or my heating pad a lot. In the wintertime my heating pad is my best friend. ;-) Are you still slepping a lot of has that gotten better? I hope that you are feeling better by the time you read this..... I'm sorry that I'm so tired right now or I would write more. I am probably known for my "short novels" on this msg. board and I'm sure I've bored some people to sleep,lol!

I'm so glad that I found someone that I have sooooo much in common with! I promise I'll write more tomorrow after I get home from my therapy appt.! Take care of you and I'll talk to you soon.

Lots of hugs right back at ya, Julie

P.S. when is your birthday? mine is May 16[This Message was Edited on 08/08/2011]
  7. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hey girl!

I just got home from a long day and am so tired again! It seems like this week isn't going to settle down for me until Friday then I'm going to just veg by the pool, swim and read! I went to therapy this morning then to the Grocery Outlet (a really cool discount food store with lots of great stuff at a great price) then to get gas, have lunch and here I am. Whew!

I have'nt really slept enough the last 2 nights getting up early and going to bed late, shame on me, lol! Since being off of work since the end of March I've gotten into a really bad habit of staying up late and getting up early. So, here we are the polar opposites of sleep and I'm promising myself that I'll go to bed earlier tonite and sleep in!

How are you feeling today? I hope you feel better! I'm gonna say bye for now but I'll reply back after I hear from you. Take care and I'll talk to you later.....

8. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

9. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

10. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi ladies!
    BDT, I got your reply and wanted to say hi to you too! I hope that this finds you feeling better and getting some sleep! Are you doing any better? I sure hope so. I have had insomnia for 3 nights and I am sooooo tired! I'm hoping that tonite I will just "konk out" and sleep for at least 9-10 hours! Yes, I am really enjoying the pool and am swimming almost every day. I love my "sanctuary" with all of the flowers, birds, wind chimes and yard animals "mostly frogs" it is so relaxing and peaceful by the pool! BDT, how is your summer going?

ksp56, have'nt heard from you in a while and I'm hoping that you're not still in a flare. I hope that you are just relaxing, having fun and enjoying the summer at your cottage. I know you were suffering from the pain and fatigue, has it gotten any better? Hope to hear from you soon,

Hugs to both of you, Julie

11. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Thought I would send you a quick reply before I go swimming! I'm sure that ksp does'nt mind us "talking" on her post because she has not responded in a while. I hope that this means she is doing better and active or visiting her cottage! I finally slept good last night after 3 nights of insomnia, yahhhhh! How about you BDT? Did you finally get some much needed sleep last night? I sure hope so because I know that is a huge problem for you. Well, I have been swimming 3-4 times a week doing about 10 laps in the pool and about 15-20 minutes of exercises. My fibro pain is finally getting better! I wish that you could find a pool that is free so that you could also benefit from swimming! Maybe your insurance would pay for warm pool therapy such as Jam is doing?

Take care and I'll talk to you soon,

ksp, I hope you're doing well and hope to hear from you soon!