Permanent hair colour risks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindseyAdams, Jan 28, 2003.

1. LindseyAdams

LindseyAdams New Member

"tip for the day" for 28th January drew attention to the risks between hair dye use and bladder cancer. I have gone grey prematurely , having had M.E./ CFS for so long. I have been using a "tone on tone" hair colourant made by L'Oreal, called "Casting" for some time now, every 18 days, or thereabouts.
    L'Oreal, of course will not admit to any risks of bladder cancer for users of their products, especially as "Casting" is not at the most powerful end of their product range. But still, I feel somewhat anxious, as I have had problems with my bladder. Do you have any knowledge about the risks of "tone on tone" colourants; are there any?!
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Don't know about that particular haircoloring (although it should be easy enough to go to L'Oreal's site & find out if it is classified as permanent coloring or not). I read that "tip of the day" too, and it is scary.

I use only semi-permanent coloring, but mainly I wanted to avoid the much harsher chemicals in the permanent color due to the neurological FM symptoms I have. Now I have another reason to avoid it. My grey is getting harder to disguise, though, and I will probably soon be making the choice to go grey gracefully!

After reading that "tip", I'm more worried about my hair stylist, though, who has been using permanent color on her clients for 20 years....

Check L'Oreal's site or call the # on the box to see if "Casting" is considered permanent or not...

Good luck!

Pam
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I used to use Casting, and it is not a permanent color. I have had to use permanent color for about 11 yrs. now, so I have read many of the studies on this.
    The only link that was established in the many studies I read was between the use of dark, permanent colors (dark brown or black, esp. black) and diseases like lupus and non-Hodgkins lymphoma (the disease that killed Jackie Onasis, who died her hair dark brown). Also one study showed that all ash shaded hair dyes could increase the risk of bladder cancer, but other studies disagreed.
    I am just not ready to go gray yet, as I look much younger than I am, and I figure my awful lipid ratio will get me first anyway.
    KLutzo
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I look bad enough from having been sick for so long that I'm not giving up my hair color unless there is a lot more evidence than what's been provided so far.

I've had to give up soooooo much to my illnesses that I just can't give up my hair color.

Love, Mikie
  5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I've been coloring my hair off and on since I was 18yrs old and I'm not considering stopping anytime in the future..
    I need something to perk me up mentally..
    I would need more "concrete" evidence before I would stop..
    Take Care...........Donna
  6. Elvira

Elvira New Member

I started premature graying in my mid to late twenties (thanks Dad!) and have been coloring my hair ever since. I am now 44 and am grayer than my mother is! If I let my color grow out it would age me soooo much and I'm just not ready for that. Besides, my hubby is 8 years younger than me and don't want him to feel like he's married to an old woman! So, until there's concrete proof, I'm not giving it up either!!
  7. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

even the semi-permanent coloring would make me feel dizzy and sick. So, on my 50th birthday I decided no more coloring. I'm lucky that my gray is on the silver side and dispursed nicely as "salt and pepper". For me, coloring my hair was a nightmare and as more gray came in, I was dyeing it so often. Gray looks OK as long as you wear some pretty makeup to brighten the face. Some of you might want to look into some natural hair products sold at health food markets. Whole Foods has an entire isle devoted to natural hair dyes. However, even though they are botanical based, they still have a few chemicals to develop the color on your hair. If you're not as chemically sensitive as me, this may be an option.
    Tania
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I agree about not giving up my hair color. I've only been having my hair highlighted for the past nine months, but it has made a big difference in how I feel about myself and even though my gray was minimal, due to my illness it had lost its natural sheen. Now I get compliments on my hair all the time.

The best part is what happened today. I went to my bank to switch my account to one called 50+ and the woman told me I couldn't be that old. I offered to show her my driver's license, but she declined. So, depite the circles under my eyes, which are somewhat hidden by makeup and my glasses, which hit at just the right spot, I guess I'm still looking young!

Barbara
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Can anyone tell me exactly how it is we get cancer from coloring our hair? Is it that the hair shaft absorbs it and then it's transported into our head like blood moves through a vein, or is it when the color touches our scalp that we absorb it and it goes into our system?

I would believe the second one, but not the first. I have my hair highlighted, and a cap is used, so the solution does not touch my head. I used to do the all-over type of color, but gave that up for the more natural look of highlighting.

I really look haggy and matronly with plain, dark blonde hair.

Marilyn :)
  10. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've been coloring my hair for....well, seems like forever. LOL
    My hair is brown and has a lot of reddish highlights in it naturally. I also have a lot of gray now. I used to use the "golden" browns on my hair but it would always have more red or brassy tones in it than I liked. I do my own color, and my hairdresser suggested going with ash tones, which I use now. I still have a lot of reddish tone to my hair, but I like the way it looks now, at least it's not brassy, which I hate. I WISH I could get by with just highlighting my hair because that's the way I really like it, but there is too much gray to do that now.
    And........this brings me to another question - how many of you were brown haired originally, went gray, and ended up blonde? The reason I ask is because the more gray I get, the more often I have to color to hide it, and when you color brown over gray, you will inevitably get that "white stripe" when it's growing out. Just seems like the more you gray, the lighter the shade of color you should use. Any opinions??
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I had heard of hair dye being dangerous way back in the early 80's if I remember correctly. As long as someone just highlights their hair then, they should be pretty safe. I'm a natural blonde, but the older we get, the mousier and darker our color gets, so yes, I DO look matronly when I don't keep it up. It's amazing what a difference hair color can make on a person. I even get kind of depressed when my hair isn't the right color!

Marilyn :)
  12. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Three yrs ago after my doc kept finding blood in urine samples & sent me to urologist - thankfully they caught it early at stage 1 and removed the tumor and so far it hasn't come back (I get checked every 6 mos).
    I did research on it (don't remember where) and read that it can comes from smoking or other chemicals, one being in dark hair dye (even Alburn which I used to use). I had smoked but quit 2 yrs before they found it but my doc says it can take yrs to grow so who's to know if it came from the smoking or the dye. I didn't want to take any more chances so I stopped with the hair dye and have learned to love the "real me" - changed my hair style somewhat and ironically now get complimented more than I used. Of course no hair dresser is going to tell you anything that may stop her business - I asked mine & she said she never heard of such a thing but if I was worried I could just do highlights which don't touch the scalp so I'm guessing it gets in your system thru your scalp so not sure but there may be some danger in the Casting but probably not as bad as the permanent ones. I'm leary of them all and am high risk since my Mom died from breast cancer. I have learned to accept my grey as part of me.

I would suggest that anyone using hair dye have a urine test yearly even though they say you don't always get blood in urine and having blood in urine doesn't automatically mean you have bladder cancer because in some people it's a normal thing but get it checked anyway. They can check your bladder with a cystoscope in a matter of a few minutes if you have any concerns about it.

What kind of problems are you having with bladder? I still have what they call urgency but it's not related to having cancer...it's an FM thing.

Hope that helps from one who has been there!!
    Butterfly Blessings
  13. blessings

blessings New Member

As a former cosmetolgist and teacher, of course when anything comes on board with that topic, I just can't refrain from responding.(smile). I do believe that there could be a risk from using the very black hair color over period of many years.The only way it could enter the body for that much toxidity, would be absorded through the skin of the scalp. Commercial color preparations are not as strong as professional, otherwise could not be sold over the counter. One good way, to minimize grey hair is to have done what is called a reverse frost. Hair is pulled through cap and darkened, instead of lightened, reducing the percentage of white or grey showing and giving an all over 'appearance' of seeing more dark that grey. And yes, it is true that covering ash, is a little tricky, it does tend to turn green, just like blonde hair will if covered with ash color, instead, an extra amount of "red" undertone color must be added to the ash color to prevent this. Ash colors have a blue base and in hair,all three primary shades are needed, in varying levels to achieve end results.
    I know that the highest risk is to the cosmetologist who must be exposed to these chemicals everyday.Not only coloring, but permanent solutions as well, also hair spray!
    Tone on tone colorants would not be any differant than any other commercial color.Cosmetologists(hairdressers) must attend every two years, prior to license renewal, continuing educational classes on product knowledge and a variety of topic related to this field. They are not privy to any inside information that would be dangerous and continue to use these products on clients if such knowledge existed and was known to them.Personally, the danger is to the respiritory system of the stylist! We do need hairdressers , but I for one, will not advise anyone to go into that field anymore, since I have myself, now, asthma. My condition began after some years in the business as well as sinus problems exacerbated. I wonder how the study linking bladder and color was conducted? There are so many that color hair, and do not have a problem. Anyway, just my own thought interjected there. I have noticed my grey hair is more silvery and since I no longer want to do the 6 week touch ups am growing out to see how my hair looks without any color or frosting..Lindsey, might try going without the color for a while, if you are concerned, or space the color out to a minimum of 6 weeks. Every 18 days to 3 weeks is pretty often, unless you are using a semi permanent color, which sounds like is your case. Frosting the hair can allow someone to go longer than the 6 weeks also..blessings