Perplexed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharonR, Sep 23, 2002.

1. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Today I have lived thru the agonizing task of sitting in a reputable Dr's office, waiting for 2 1/2 hours, no explanation given as to why everyone waited similar time frames. I did see 4 other 11:00 appointments written down as I signed in.
    Why did I wait, mostly from the fatigue of driving and seeing how the expressway was backed up for miles on what would have been my way home, and mostly for morbid curiosity.
    I had read post from others about the trials of experiencing this type of indignity, but never experienced it myself.
    My first thought was to leave after 45 minutes, but I watched the others who were experiencing the same, busy diligently reading books or running their fingers around the fish tank, like captive prisoners in some sort of asylum.
    So I decided to wait it out. The atmosphere permeated with silence, no one wanting to acknowledge that this really was happening, and if you did voice growing impatience, somehow you would lose your turn or be treated with disdain.
    How did this ever happen?
    I am slowly but surely joining the rank and file of disgruntled individuals concerning the medical community.
    And upon finally seeing the Dr., I realized that he had not even seen my medical files obtained from a previous Dr. I asked him several questions concerning symptoms, and he said it was part of having FM.
    I just started laughing uncontrollably, I know he now thinks in addition to everything else I am nuts!
    My last visit he informed me that in his opinion I did not have FM, just sleep deprivation.
    He ordered more blood test, asked me if I wanted an MRI of my brain coz my mother has AH, but said it would just show if there were pathological similarities, at which I declined considering there's nothing they could do if it even showed probability.
    What the hell is going on ?
    Are there so many people with these problems that there are not sufficient medical Dr's to go around?
    I got home at 6 PM, and went to bed. And I had a conference with several people scheduled on Yahoo to discuss what I consider some important issues.
    People, this whole agenda is becoming much more complex
    than I had ever imagined, I don't have an answer for anything concerning this, but someone had better come up with something soon, or part of the population will be in a loony bin.
    If the crème de la crème of Physician's are like this, what are the rest like?
    What a day from hell.I will never do this to myself again.
    Respectively Yours
    SharonR
  2. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Today I have lived thru the agonizing task of sitting in a reputable Dr's office, waiting for 2 1/2 hours, no explanation given as to why everyone waited similar time frames. I did see 4 other 11:00 appointments written down as I signed in.
    Why did I wait, mostly from the fatigue of driving and seeing how the expressway was backed up for miles on what would have been my way home, and mostly for morbid curiosity.
    I had read post from others about the trials of experiencing this type of indignity, but never experienced it myself.
    My first thought was to leave after 45 minutes, but I watched the others who were experiencing the same, busy diligently reading books or running their fingers around the fish tank, like captive prisoners in some sort of asylum.
    So I decided to wait it out. The atmosphere permeated with silence, no one wanting to acknowledge that this really was happening, and if you did voice growing impatience, somehow you would lose your turn or be treated with disdain.
    How did this ever happen?
    I am slowly but surely joining the rank and file of disgruntled individuals concerning the medical community.
    And upon finally seeing the Dr., I realized that he had not even seen my medical files obtained from a previous Dr. I asked him several questions concerning symptoms, and he said it was part of having FM.
    I just started laughing uncontrollably, I know he now thinks in addition to everything else I am nuts!
    My last visit he informed me that in his opinion I did not have FM, just sleep deprivation.
    He ordered more blood test, asked me if I wanted an MRI of my brain coz my mother has AH, but said it would just show if there were pathological similarities, at which I declined considering there's nothing they could do if it even showed probability.
    What the hell is going on ?
    Are there so many people with these problems that there are not sufficient medical Dr's to go around?
    I got home at 6 PM, and went to bed. And I had a conference with several people scheduled on Yahoo to discuss what I consider some important issues.
    People, this whole agenda is becoming much more complex
    than I had ever imagined, I don't have an answer for anything concerning this, but someone had better come up with something soon, or part of the population will be in a loony bin.
    If the crème de la crème of Physician's are like this, what are the rest like?
    What a day from hell.I will never do this to myself again.
    Respectively Yours
    SharonR
  3. Girlof41

Girlof41 New Member

Sharon, doctors may have education and expertise, yet alot of them of don't have second person sensitivity when it comes to their patients.They should be made accountable, and we as patients should demand their complete attention when they are with us at a visit.
    Due to my husband's multiple illnesses, I have seen alot. Guys with great reputations who talk to their staff about ordering lunch at an ear's distance. Or how about a doctor who answers his personal cell phone not once but twice during a visit and talks about another patient's condition while he is still in an appointment with me.( I've got dozens more)
    So my advice is find someone you can communicate and feel comfortable with. Sometimes it takes time, but there is always someone out there who cares.
  4. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I am so sorry about your day from Hell, and I don't want to make light of it, but you should have been a writer. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. I am not laughing at you, it is just the way you told your story. I have been there with the doctors also. The worst one I have ever met is my brother-in-law. I think I know more than he does about medicine.
    Anyway, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Thanks for the laugh,
    Cindy
  5. dojomo

dojomo New Member

......the same thing...you should be a writer, you have a wonderful way with words.....

As far as doctors.....They are good for getting my thyroid med and keeping documentation for SSD....other than that they are usless waste of time for me...I have been in the business over 20 years and personally know that they are the most child-like professionals that exist.......Everyone is CRAZY till proven SICK..........And believe me...they believe THAT!!.....

My advice is to use them to get what you need to survive and disreguard their lack of knowledge on the subject.........But I am STILL hopeful that soon we will all be vindicated......and all these doctors will have to face us all again one day........CAN"T WAIT.......DJ
  6. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

I bet you will never wait that long again and I bet you will get another doc. I do it more than others: if my doc is wasting my time or passive about my ailments or dumber than dirt I demand a 2nd(or 3rd opinion). I pay these guy's salary and they are my employees. It took awhile but I have a team of docs with whom I am reasonably pleased. Al(the doctor's pal)
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Doctors are good for two things:
    1)Keeping social security disability satisfied and 2)getting prescriptions. Don't expect more or you'll be disappointed. They are using you to get a nice home with a pool, a new Lexus every two years, and a better looking spouse than they would otherwise attract, so why can't you use them to get the meds and the disability checks you need to survive? That is a cynical way to look at it, but it's the only way I've been able to stand it these past 17 yrs.
    Klutzo
    P.S. Having said that, nothing beats conventional medicine if you have an emergency or an acute illness. It is with chronic illnesses where their performance is so abyssmal.