Perscription sleeping aids

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maps1, Aug 12, 2008.

1. maps1

maps1 Member

I seem to have run the gauntlet of sleeping pills. I was using Lorazapam have changed that to imovain but they dont seem to working very well, long time to get to sleep and feel so sick in the morning. Clonazepam does not do it.

My doctor does not know what to give me. OTC give me restless legs and am trying to find something other than benzos.

Desperate to know what others take for sleep.

2. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, Have you ever tried Ambein, not sure if it is spelled right.

I was on it for a while it will knock you out.

But my husband works nights and I have to sons, I would like to be able to hear if something was going on.

Like storms or fire. I wouldnt hear anything. Boys said that they would come in and wake me up to tell me they was home, but I wouldnt wake up.

So if you can you make want to take it, I sure do miss it.

havent slept well sense I stopped taking it.

3. maps1

maps1 Member

Thanks, I forgot about Ambian, it is not available here in Canada but maybe there is someway of getting it online.

Sorry my messages are short but in a lot of pain and can only sit here a couple of minutes but really appreciate all input.

4. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I've tried everything. Some work for awhile, some have bad side effects and some just don't work.

I was taking .75mg of Xanax but it stopped working.

My Rhemy just ordered Roserum(sp??) and Ambien for me. My insurance company is having a cow that I would take both. They are fighting with the doctor about it. So they will only approve one or the other. I picked Roserum so I have to wait for it to come in the mail. Maybe than I'll get a good nights sleep. Hopeful but doubtful.

I have a full bottle of Ambien CR. That didn't work either, slept good for 3 hours than woke up in the middle of the night all refreshed. What to do?? Sit there for three more hours than take a Xanax and go back to bed. Great.

I think that is why the insurance doesn't want to fill a new RX. Their afraid of what I will do with them.

I'd ask your doctor, they need to try different meds until you find one that works for you.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Trazadone has helped me in the past.

You said that OTC sleeping aids give you restless legs. Do you have RLS?

I have a pretty severe case of RLS and am now taking Mirapix to help me sleep. So far it has been very effective but I have only been on it five days so it may be to soon to tell.

However, there have been several studies that show that Mirapex may help with FM pain. I find the pain of RLS very similar to my FM pain.

Take care.
  6. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

you can buy Ambien over the internet. It is called zolpidem tartrate(sp?). there are risks with buying over the internet though. It could be seized by customs, you could get ripped off by a scam company. I used to buy it over the internet for about 3 years, and only lost two of my shipments. It can be quite expensive though, especially with the shipping from outside your country.
    Good luck! Lynn
  7. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

the best things I have found so far (11 years and counting) are Restoril and Trazadone, for limited periods. if I could go 3mos or so on one and then the other I'd probably be happy and sleeping. I had SUCH high hopes for Ambien CR =/ nope.
    right now we are trying hypnosis, with success so far.
  8. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have tried soooo many sleeping meds and they never work for me.

I am now on .50mg of Halcion at nights. It has helped me a lot. It is an older med but still works very well for me.
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I've been trying Ambian (spelling) the past couple of weeks and at first I tried the 10mg prescribed and I couldn't wake up till 12 noon the next day so then I tried 1/4 of a pill and I still was sleepy the next morning but only till 9am.
    It really helps me relax and get to sleep. I still woke up at least 1 time in the night but it was easier to get back to sleep .

I don't take it every night either just if I need it.

Not sure what I will do in a couple of weeks when the kids start back to school and I have to wake up at 6am.

Good luck and very gentle hugs, Susan
  10. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

With all of the meds I am on, when they added ambien I started having accidents at night. So I gave it up. Now I take 1 mg. of xanax.
  11. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

For me I take a few things otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep. I take Trazadone which is my primary sleep med, I take a pain pill which is a vicodin for me then I also take a soma which is a muscle relaxer, I take Xanax which is for anxiety, then I also take my neurontin wich is for nerve pain which is what it sounds like you have. The way your legs are. Good luck to you I hope you find something to help you.

12. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

without sleep meds for the first time in 11 years with hypnotherapy. !
  13. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

5 mgs Ambien, .25mg Xanax, 2 percocet

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....I, too, have to listen for children at night...10 mgs of ambien meant i would not hear i break it in half...
  14. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

Lunesta is a wonder drug for me,it really works and gives me full night sleep
    Try it
  15. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

have they tried giving you Tarazadone? Ativan? Amytriptilyn, noretriptilyn, I take 100mg of diphenhydramine at night to sleep. That and an amytriptilyn (I know i'm not spelling it correctly) will have me sleeping like a baby until noon. :) Valium, Xanax, muscle relaxants. There's actually quite a few things you can try. I love Ambien but I don't feel refreshed at all when i wake up. It really doesn't help that problem. I tried Rozerem and it didn't help me at all.

Like now..sleep where are you?

16. kbak

kbak Member

After trying so many different things I have found what helps me. The trouble is the "me" part. Our bodies are so different that you have to keep trying different things till you find the right combo for you.

I tried melatonin yrs. ago but it keep me awake. Then I read an article that said melatonin was much more effective given in small doses. I decided to try it again.

I take one quarter of one mg. Plus my pain med and calcium and benedryl. This has put me into a deep sleep first time ever. I know I'm sleeping deeply because I dream, something I've never done before.

I can stay asleep for about 5 hrs. When I wake I take another pain pill and then some liquid benedryl ( because it works faster) which I have right next to the bed and I'm off to sleep again.

Benedryl not only helps you sleep I read where it helps with nerve pain. Just a thought.

Take care,

17. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

about the benedryl as a sleep aid. Do you know if a person would be safe using it on a regular basis?

Seem like no matter what I take it dries me out so bad that my tongue wakes me up burning.

When I take the med for the dry mouth I have actually woke up nearly drowning and a soaked pillow.

We can't win, can we?
  18. maps1

maps1 Member

so much, I have made a list of all your suggestions and will take it to my doc.

Thanks for the reminder re hypnosis which I have done before, not for sleep though. Will look into that again, the last doc I had was weird so stopped going.

Now even the lorazapam is giving me restless legs.

I sure don't know what I would have done without this board over the last few years.

19. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Maps

This is the only sleep med that works at all and which leaves me able to function during the day time. There is little risk of tolerance developing either.

Zopiclone is the only Rx med I use long term; without it I know my non pharmaceutical protocols would not work.

tc, Tansy
  20. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I have used Ambien 10 mg since 1993, and it works great.

M J