Personal---but any past (or present) sufferers of anorexia or bulimia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tired42long, Sep 15, 2002.

1. tired42long

tired42long New Member

I've often felt guilty or felt like I messed up my body, metabolism, bone density, and host of other things from such poor eating habits.I was anorexic for maybe a couple years as a late teenager...not really deathly affected then, but definately did a number on my body. Lived on Diet pepsi, pretzels, and fruit. Big Mistake!!! It was me trying to control my life, when actually IT started controlling me...common problem leading to eating disorders. Most women have been on "crash" diets of one type or another...some have true history of eating disorders. I wonder if any others have this "eating them up", and if they think it could have played a part in our poor health, heart palps, thyroid irregularity, enzyme and vitamin problems and what has ultimately led to these diseases? Anyone hungry for some insight?LOL Eileen[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2002]
  2. tired42long

tired42long New Member

I've often felt guilty or felt like I messed up my body, metabolism, bone density, and host of other things from such poor eating habits.I was anorexic for maybe a couple years as a late teenager...not really deathly affected then, but definately did a number on my body. Lived on Diet pepsi, pretzels, and fruit. Big Mistake!!! It was me trying to control my life, when actually IT started controlling me...common problem leading to eating disorders. Most women have been on "crash" diets of one type or another...some have true history of eating disorders. I wonder if any others have this "eating them up", and if they think it could have played a part in our poor health, heart palps, thyroid irregularity, enzyme and vitamin problems and what has ultimately led to these diseases? Anyone hungry for some insight?LOL Eileen[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2002]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

As for the Bulimia or Anorexia, no. But I have always had a dislike of eating.

As a child I was very spoiled, and a poor eater, so my family used to 'pay' me to eat! Yes, thats right for me to eat my meals I would get money. Plus there was very little I actually liked as for food.

Well, no one pays me anymore (smile), but I am still a very poor eater. Most of the time I force myself to stop whatever I am doing to eat. Otherwise I could actually go with very little or no food. But I have always drank a lot of milk, fruit juices, and coffee and tea. I did like fruit!

I don't now, or ever ate fast food or junk food. Don't eat cookies, candy or sodas (was addicted to Coca Cola once, and after that I don't drink any colas).

I raised all three of my children to be good eaters, none have my problem.

I did not get sick untill I was over thirty years old. I had pneumonia, and after that is when the Fibro pains started.

I have taken vitamins and herbs since I was a child, many of the herbs were to increase my appetite, they didn't.

I have never been over weight, and am still slim. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I do have a problem with food.

When I do eat, its small portions, my stomach won't hold more than a small amount of food at a time.

I have had Fibro now for over 20 years.

Shalom, Shirl

4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I was 86 lbs and thought I still looked fat. The want for children got me on a healthy diet and the study of physcology for 9 years really helped to. If I eat over 600 cals a day I gain. I was lucky no opther damage has shown up. I have had FMS symtoms way before that. I don't really know if the doctor was right or it was just the way we were in that time. All of my friends back then were skinny.

Take care, Kim

5. andyM

andyM New Member

Yeah I can totally relate. I always have,and still do have a distroted view on food. I have no idea what is the "correct" amount of food to eat in a day, and I often feel gulity for others when I see them eating something I consider "bad." I obsess about fat grams, and my body image. I dont even know if what i eat in a day is too much, too little or ok? This has always been this way, as I was an athlete in high school, and always having to maintain a specific weight, even though I was always thin. I am now 30, and have no concept of my body image or weight. I look in the miror and have no idea what I am seeing...it canges every day.

I am not anorexic or bulemic, as I do not throw up or starve myself. But I do think I have some sort of undefined eating disorder.
  6. shannon

shannon Guest

Eileen,
    I was anorexick when I was 15, my best friend was very small and I wanted to be small so I starved myself for months. I got so bad I passed out and was rushed to the hospital only to wake up and find myself alone in a room. When I walked out I found out I was admitted into an eating disorder unit. I was their for 3 months. I never really was a big person. In High school I was 105 lbs and 5'1 but wanted to be smaller. well I got smaller..79lbs.
    I actually was very healthy and never had many health problems after that untill 3 or 4 years ago when I was hit with fibro, cfs, mps, as well as thyroid disease. So I got a wammy of a diag. I still to this day will compare myself to others. I do not try to but I do. I have recently lost alot of weight and even though I am not doing it on purpose I believe that is still with us. The not wanting to eat thing. My husband would make comments on how he could not wait untill I had my small frame back. well I am getting their. I am now 120 and I have five children. I was 138 on June 16,0002, so as you can see I have lost a bit fast. Do you ever find yourself doing this?
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My older daughter had anorexia and she now has FMS. Researchers are looking at eating disorders as well as ADHD and a whole host of other problems as they may relate to our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  8. PAT

PAT New Member

but I did go through a few years of anorexia/bulemia (with laxatives) during high school and college. It was all consuming,exhausting, and nearly ruined my life. It stopped when I became pregnant with my first child. I battled with weight for several years while I was having kids. I have 5. When I was taking Elavil I gained over 60 lbs in a one year period, and I about went crazy over it. I am 4'11' and was well over 175lbs. I took Metabolife for a year and got back down to my college weight.During the Metabolife days I began a whole new life style of eating healthy foods, drinking water, giving up the caffeine, and making my self get more physcally active. I finally had a healthy outlook about food!

Over the last few months I started losing a lot of weight and did not know why. Of course, those who knew my history were suspicious, but I honestly didn't understand what was going on. I had a lot of problems swallowing and just had no appetite. Anyway, found out I have vasculitis in my brain, and that's what is causing it. I am so thin now,but not a healthy looking thin.

I'm sorry to go on and on...The post just brought up a flood of memories. I feel so sorry for those of you going through the whole body image/food issue. It is very hard to break those patterns. It's scary that the mind can do things like that. I know it made my IBS worse, and worry that it really messed my metabolism up. If anyone is dealing with this, please get help. You CAN overcome it.

Once you have a healthy lifestyle, you feel like a new person, metally and physically. I realized how much energy I wasted fighting with myself over food. Life is too short. I hope to get this vasculitis treated well and continue a healthy relationship with food and my body.