Personal Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

This is an embarrassing question but you all seem like such an easy group to chat with. Am I the only one who can't shower or bathe every day. It takes so much effort to get in and out of the tub or shower and also scrubbing that I am wiped out afterwards. Not only am I exhausted, but my pain increases as well. I just took a bath and washed my hair and blew it dry and now I have a sore throat which is a definite sign that I have overdone it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I feel like such a piggy just asking. Thanks.
  2. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

My hubby says it is the Polock in me (dad is from Poland...I am first generation born in US) but I often do not shower everyday...Yes it wears me out too. I am often having to go out on errands in the morning when I get off work and then again in the afternoon after DevinLee and I take a nap...taking a shower would not only wear me out but would take up so much of my time that I would never get anything done...
    I do usually take one b4 work everynite but as I have very straight, blah hair that always goes up in a pony tail, I do not dry or do anything to it, I do not always wash...maybe every 3 day or so.
    I usually feel better after a shower but I just don't have the time or energy...my hubby would take one 4 times a day if I would let him so he thinks I am weird...
  3. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

Hi there Lolalee, this only happens to me when I get a major relapse, which has not happened in a long time. However I do suffer terrribly with this disease/fibro/chronic fatigue....but I manage to take showers, maybe I might skip a day though, but when I have a relapse, I have seen myself so sick I can't wash at all. The shower and bath are just to hard for me, I cannot even lift my arms to wash my hair, just to exhausted to do it. I have been in such bad shape I have had a caregiver come in to help me....and that is what I do for an occupation....hang in there, you are not alone...sharon5650 up here in Canada and its so cold today..
  4. ScooterD

ScooterD New Member

Hi Lolalee,

And here I thought your question was going to be terribly embarrassing and personal! Nah, just one of the struggles that goes along with the DD.
    I use to shower daily before I got sick. Now, the struggles like you note are just too much for me to even think about getting a bath or shower every day!
    I have come up with a few ways to get through this "chore" - maybe, hopefully, you can benefit from them too:
    I'll take a bath when a shower seems too much - and then I wash my hair in the laundry tub with a spray hose the next day.
    Purchase a cheap plastic stool to put in your shower so you can sit down. Invest in handrails for your bath & shower!!
    Hair drying...I sit on the toilet or a stool, put my "dryer hand" so it's resting on the vanity and dry half way - then take a break - then finish.
    And for those days I'm so exhausted none of the above seems possible, I love pre-moistened wash cloths. It doesn't get my hair done - but at least my body is clean and fresh smelling.
    Finally - I no longer get my hair cut that demands styling. The most I do is blow dry if needed. It's not a great look for me to have straight hair, but worth the trade off.
    Hope this helps or gives you something to think about.
    Merry Christmas!
  5. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

Hi there!

I do try to shower each work day because I have to go to work. My shower may only be washing my face and hair though.

I had not shaved my legs in 2 months until just the other day. At least 3 or 4 times a week I do a full soap down but if I do it daily I feel like I need a nap afterward.

On the weekend, FORGET IT! I usually don't shower the whole weekend. It is too much trouble.

Not to worry, your among friends :)
  6. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I typically do shower every day, BUT do not wash my hair for 4 to sometimes 5 days because I am so exhausted and just can't bare the thought of picking up that blowdryer!!

You are definitely not alone!!!

Jennifer
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

bless your heart,no your not a piggy :)

my husband actually ran a bubble bath once and dumped me init lol.
    as well as the fm and me i had that sydney flu and plurasy so couldnt move.
    even without the flu and plurasy i do have days where i climb into bed only stopping to ditch the jeans and jumper but i will run a flannel over me and stick my head under the shower in the morning.
  8. matthewson

matthewson New Member

and just knowing you are not alone in this really helps! I too went from taking daily showers to every other day. I just wash the "important bits" on the off days and I don't think I smell! At least no one has told me I do!

We gotta do what we gotta do to conserve energy for other things. This has been the hardest thing for me to come to grips with. I have been driving myself crazy this holiday season, because I am trying to do what I normally would have done, but it takes me twice as long because I have to take lots of breaks! I have had two painless migraines in a weeks time, just due to stress! I usually only have maybe one a year. Thank God they are not real painfull! I only get the aura and then the nausea after the aura goes away.

Don't ever worry about asking any question here. Believe me, we have seen it all and if you can't ask us, who can you ask?!

Take care, Sally
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

There are lots of us who tire out when we shower!
    I try to shower every day...but there are days I don't. I have very oily hair...and it looks bad when not washed daily, but bending over in the sink is really hard for me..so the shower makes it much easier. Often it is only washing hair...and washing "important" areas..and I am out!
    I keep baby wipes in the house for those days when I just don't have the energy to get clean...
    But...I think that part of the reason I do it at all..is because it makes me feel less sick when I am clean and dressed...even though I may feel lousy that day..and I didn't do ANYTHING but veg..at least I got clean and dressed!LOL
  10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I shower every other day. Along with it taking me too long before going to work, I find I am also getting pruney with age. My skin and hair are much drier than they used to be. Like others, I just do the important bits on the in between days.

It's funny, but when I was a kid in Britain, my mother would have us all bath once a week. My mother(now 78), still maybe has two baths a week, and does the important bits in between. She uses glycerin on her face and has the most wonderful skin you've ever felt.

I've also heard that this desire for daily cleansing makes us more susceptible to bugs and viruses. Makes one wonder

Regards,

EIleen
  11. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I've got one of those to skinny a bathtubs for a shower chair. It's a pain. I need a shower only. I would like to throw the tub out. If I had a shower only I think I could sit in a shower chair and bath daily. But meanwhile life goes on.lol I keep my hair short.

Oh yes a walk in and sit down shower area it's on my most wanted list.

Your not alone on this one!lol
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2005]
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

It is so good to know that I am not alone. I've been in and out of a major flareup since March.

You are all great. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  13. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

When I wake up in the mornings, I always cringe at the thought of having to go get in the shower to get ready for work. It's literally all I can do to get in there because I'm so sore and achy. But once I do, I feel so much better ... and I usually stand there for WAY too long just letting the warm water run over my shoulders and arms (my most painful areas right now).

However, we have a corner shower with two sides of clear glass that have to be "squeegeed" off or the water spots look awful. So if I don't manage to get to the shower before my DH every morning (he's so sweet and doesn't mind doing the squeegee routine!), I skip the shower and just wash my hair in the kitchen. Have to wash my hair every day for work or it looks awful ... weekends are another story!

I also have a jacuzzi tub. I love love love it but HATE HATE HATE getting in and out of it!! It's very deep and trying to step over the side when I get out is very difficult, even on a good day. If my DH isn't in earshot when I call for help to get out, I'm in big trouble! I don't even try to use it when he's not home.

When I'm in the tub, I just soak in the water, rarely do I use soap in there (leaves too much residue!) so hence the daily showering in the morning as well. Twice a day sounds excessive but the warm water helps so much.

14. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I shower everyday, but sometimes I'm so worn out and sick after one I have to lie down. I usually fall asleep --then when I wake up I don't feel like I even had a shower!

I've been overseas to several countries in eastern europe and to Ireland, Scotland and Britian. Let me tell you--those people think we Americans are nuts and so paranoid about disguising our "natural" smell. I am a first generation Irish-American and my da and ma had us wash 2-3 times a week and just "freshen up a bit" in between. No one ever complained about us, but the time we hit our early teens we insisted on showering everyday because that's what our friends did.

The Europeans have the right attitude I think so don't sweat it (or you'll need another shower!!!)

Sue
  15. jaomi

jaomi New Member

i am totally the same. i am so bad that i cannot even brush my teeth each day, i need help because my pain levels and fatigue increase so much that i just cant do it.
    its humiliating to tell anyone how bad i am, especially my doctor.
    i get the sore throat when ive over done it too, its one of my warnings. along with swollen glands and a general feeling of yuckiness. all i can do at that stage is rest and prepare for a bad spell.

i hope you dont feel too bad for being unable to do this kind of thing. youre definately not alone in this.
  16. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Yup, me too...

Taking a shower is an event for me. I have to plan it hours in advance. Making sure someone is in the house while I shower or bath, in case I should feel faint or fall.

There have been times when I was not able to shower for a few days,not being able to get up off the couch or my bed, plus I'm not able to stand without getting dizzy in the shower, and if I stay to long in the bath my heart goes crazy and BP falls very low.

So don't feel bad, join the club! We're pretty much all in the same boat.

Hugs

Sandy
  17. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

Omg! I know this sounds crazy but i was so happy to see this posted,i have the same problem and thought i too was just being a piggy and yes i know better but lazy fit in there too,I have a hard time with taking showers, my hair is mid fanny in lengh so it really wears me out,but i like my hair long so i wont cut it,oh well i guess everything is a give and take with us,again iam so happy that i saw this post now i also know that iam not alone and i can tell my husband who likes to keep asking are you going to shower today over and over thats it not just me.. thanks all,marieann
  18. Bambi

Bambi New Member

between I do a top to bottom in the
    bathroom sink (don't ask me why but it's easier for me to lift my leg and put my foot in the sink than to get in and out of the tub!).

On other days when I just can't do either one I do what me grandmother recommended for times like that: She said you should wash what shows ans what smells. LOL! She was a wonderful person in my life, took care of me while both parents worked for years, and that was a pretty "naughty" thing for her to say. She said when she was a child that was a standard thing in the country. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! Bambi
  19. petsrme

petsrme Member

I have not had a shower today. I will go and brush my teeth in a moment, but that is it. LOL! I used to HAVE to shower every day. I couldn't stand not to. Now it is such an effort that I sometimes can't do it. I have to sit in the floor sometimes to take one. The longest I have gone without one is three days, but that is unusual. My husband got sick last week and did not take a shower for four days!! I couldn't believe it. He could not even lift his fingers one inch to get his drink. He also wanted me to help him to the bathroom. I waited on him and my daughter hand and foot. One was yelling, "Mommy rub my head." and the other in his delirium said, "Rub my balls." Huh?? I said nice try, but no thanks.

When I got sick three days later with the same stuff, I was left to fend for myself. This whole experience proved to me that I am not as big a baby as I thought I was. I handled being sick much better than him. I was throwing over and over and had diarehea, but I still had to do for myself. I was so shocked that my hubby went so long without a shower. He usually has to have one or two a day. I hope I didn't gross anyone out, but I just wanted to share that being sick does cause people to not feel like showering and it is not just us.
  20. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

Have to / hate to admit it, but I'm with the rest of the folks here. Hit the important places most days, and leave the showering for the important days. And other than going to the drs or seeing the inlaws, there just aren't that many important days anymore.

My legs are where I hurt the worst, I get the weak wobblies from standing too long, my arms ache from trying to wash my hair (I'm tall and it's very long) so by the time I'm done, I can barely climb out on my own.

Hubby and I have started looking at supplies and equipment for para and quadraplegics so I can be more independant in lots of ways. There are wonderful long handled scrub brushes, sponges on handles, even soap holder thingies with handles to help you reach the places it's too hard to bend or twist to get to. Grab bars and handles, shower seats (or cheap plastic lawn chairs and stools), things that attach to your hot and cold water focets (sp??), you name it, it's out there.

So don't feel alone. You're not. I'm due for a shower tomorrow. And it's been a couple of days... :eek:)))

Megan

[ advertisement ]