Personal Request for Prayer

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by PoimaeHopkins, Jul 7, 2007.

1. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

Dear Ones,

I feel unworthy to express my need of your prayers for my own physical being, what with all the personal needs each of you have. I don't want to add to the weight of anyone's intercessory load of my own petition. Yet, I feel impressed by my Lord to share my personal burdens with you.
    The Lord exhorts us to be about casting all our cares upon Him:
    1 Peter 5:7 7 "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

Yet, I am reminded by the Holy Spirit to:

Galatians 6:2-3 2 "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself."

Sometimes, when we are not anxious to share our burdens with others, it is due to our deceitful fallen nature that is trying to fool us into thinking "I can handle it myself, I don't need anyone else praying for me." I know of this prideful inclination my fallen nature has, and I confess it to you. Yet, it is still difficult for me to ask someone else to pray for me when there are so many others who have greater prayer concerns than my own. Nevertheless, I shall share with you an update of my own.

These last four weeks of daily driving 125 miles round trip between my home and Tyler's hospital have really taken a physical toll on me. The incessant rain we have been having - it has rained every day - has only compounded the exquisite pain that I have been enduring. Each time I have pushed the button at the entrance to the Burn Center to identify myself, "Pastor for Tyler" I have feared that the pain I am having would show on my face or in the way I walk. By God's rich grace, I have been enabled by my Lord to share the Scriptures with the Bowman family from 1800 (6pm) to 2100 (9pm) almost pain free. Apart from fatigue that they have seen on my face, they have never realized the degree of pain I am experiencing. In His incredible mercy, I have been almost pain-free during those hours.
    It is when I leave them - when the outer door to the Burn Center closes - that God lifts His hand off of me and I feel the full onslaught of the pain in my flesh! It often doubles me over as I am standing there. On one occasion, some people who were in the outer waiting room saw me in such pain, that they thought I was having a heart attack. They helped me to a chair and it was very difficult to dissuade them from getting me some medical attention right then and there. It was terrible.
    The drive home finds me doubled over from IBS practically all the way home. Many times, I do not remember how I got home. The Lord has been having His angels work overtime in taking care of me. I really appreciate the Lord for His favors.
    Of course, I cannot hide all this from my wife, Sunshine. She is very worried each day I take off to the hospital. About twice a week she has been able to get off from work and accompany me to the hospital. She continues to be amazed as she witnesses the hand of God come over me when I enter the Burn Center, and then when He takes His hand off of me when I leave the Center. On those days, she drives home. I really am thankful for those times. She loves me so much, I love her the same way. She has asked me to share these thoughts with you, she is so grateful for all of my FM friends.
    I have been averaging about 2-3 hours of sleep a night. I have lost about ten pounds, my taste for food has left me.
    Please know I covet your prayers first for the Bowman family, secondly, for me and my family.

I love each of you.

Poimae
  2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Poimae I'm sitting here reading your post with tears and painful heart. I can't express in written words the prayers I've sent up to our Lord for you. I use to be a pretty fair writer but that went with the onset of this crud, but I know our Lord hears my prayers for you and the young boy Tyler and his family.

Dear Lord if this onslaught of symptoms is not from You but from the enemy I ask in the name of Jesus that You lift them.
    Amen, Amen

God's Peace

Sarah

3. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

Dear Sarah,

It is always a joy to meet a new friend - a sister in Christ whom the Lord graciously gives to me. How wonderful it is and so humbling to me - now - to meet you on such a personal level as intercession.
    I read your profile and will be faithful to intercede for you each time the Lord brings you to my mind. And since I labor in prayer via my poems and writings I place on this board for the encouragement of all my "family," know that I shall be praying for you each day.
    Thank you for your intercession for me. I am

Most sincerely,

Poimae

P.S. Have any of my poems been an encouragement to you? It encourages me when I learn I have been, in some small way, an encouragement to others.
  4. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

and after reading your reply a thank you. One hard lesson I have been learning is to be humble and to learn I can't do it! I found out if I don't humble myself the Lord will and with me doing it's a lot less humbling!! LOL so, thank you again for your prayers, I do have trouble asking but it is getting easier.

When I wrote asking God if it was His will or not I had no intention of writing that, because I have trouble verbalizing prayer and even knowing what to ask. So, that came from the Holy Spirit.

Also, I found when I have understood one of God's Truths and His Word finally makes sense to me I will be attacked with more symptoms and pain. I was walking one day and said out loud "HOLY Is MY Fathers Name" and boy! did I feel the anger and the weasel tried putting a physical fear in me. This walk was really early in the morning and I've never been afraid. So when I felt that I said "good" and said it the whole walk LOL

Now, to my point,finally- :) when I wrote about God's Will I felt chills and then a bit of that anger. So, maybe the attacks are from the enemy, we don't know but I will definetly pray against them.

Isn't He amazing! When I was doing a study on being righteous I was totally symptom free!

Sarah

Well here's another PS Yes, I do enjoy reading your poems. I did have to go back and find them. You are truly blessed!

Sarah

5. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

Believe me when I say, like the Apostle Paul, I have implored the Lord three times to remove this FMS from me. I use the word 'implored' advisedly: the Latin word 'implorare' means "to invoke with tears." With all my heart, I would love to NOT have it. But, like so many of you Friends, I remain with it.
    Now, I can complain about it but I have found that it does me no good. In fact, a complaining spirit only enhances the pain.
    The passage that keeps coming to my mind is

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 "And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I certainly do not claim to have received any revelations from my Lord. The Lord has seen fit to use this disease and its related ilk in such a way in my life as to deepen my prayer life with HIm, and to bless me with poems and other writings from Him. These poems and writings (such as this)I write while in the fires of FMS. [My Sunshine just came into my Study and found me writing this to you. Tears are streaming down my face as I write because of (a) a spliting migraine I presently have (b) extreme pain in my lower back (c) spears of hot pain shooting down my legs and (d) nails of pain I am experiencing in my wrists, knees, and ankles. The weather outside is building up into another great thunderstorm!]

If what I write becomes a blessing and encouragement to others who live in the same torment, then by His grace I shall be grateful for it. For when I am weak in the flesh, I am strong in His grace.

The Holy Spirit of God continues to show me through the example of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, that joy is a gift of the Spirit - neither a feeling connected to my body, nor an emotion connected to my brain. For instance, in His humanity, Jesus certainly did not look forward to the sufferings of the Cross; nevertheless,

Hebrews 12:2-3 2 "looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for 'the joy' that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 ¶ For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls."

By grace, I can follow Christ's example. Jesus focused on the "JOY", not the suffering. Remember,

Galatians 5:22-25 22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, 'joy', peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 ¶ If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

It does not say, "the fruit of (____) [insert your name]. I am too often barren of any fruit. I thank God it says "The fruit of the Spirit!"

By striving to live "in the Spirit," I can realize the fruit "of" the Spirit! This is walking in the Spirit! Let not a person say "It depends on my faith." No, this is not so! The word "faithfulness" in the above English text is the Greek word for "faith." It is the same faith we receive as a part of the gift of salvation: Ephesians 2: 8-9:

Ephesians 2:8-9 8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast."

The antecedent of "that" in the above text is both "the grace" and "the faith." It is not God's grace and man's faith that saves the sinner; it is both God's grace and God's faith that is provided the repentant sinner, by God Himself, that makes up the wonderful gift of salvation. Now, God won't believe for me, I must do that. But if I believe with the faith that is provided me by God, then it works - to the glory of God! In and of myself, I have not the right kind of faith that works. My human faith I exercise (for example) in the chair I am sitting in: "believing it will hold me up," is not the kind of faith that will save my soul. It is insufficient in its affect, it is lacking in its power!
    But the glorious faith that my God provides in the gift of salvation is more than effective in enabling me to focus on the "JOY" God purposes in my life - even when I am suffering! This is so with any of God's children. Did not our Lord say that the faith the size of a mustard seed is quite adequate to move a mountain? I am persuaded that my Lord would not want me to be so foolish as to exercise the gift of faith to move a 'physical' mountain. On the other hand, He does desire for me to exercise the gift of faith to remove the Rocky Mountains of grief, the Himalayan Mountains of depression and the Andes Mountains of despair!
    Dear Friend, let us focus on Jesus. Does not the Scripture say, "For consider Him?!" When I focus on Him - and I desparately do this - I realize 'JOY' in my spirit! You know the old acrostic
    J-esus first
    O-thers second
    Y-ourself last

Well, it works! When I focus on Jesus, I begin seeing the needs of others; and in seeing the needs of others, my own personal needs are diminished. It works, it really works.

I hope and pray that what I have written will be both a blessing and an encouragement to you and others who will read this post. May God be glorified in and through it all.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Poimae
  6. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

and His Grace is suffient!!!!!!!!!

I, too, believe God has used this for His gGlory. I've told people I don't resent this illness because God has used to for me to get closer to Him, and most people look at me like I'm nuts! He'll also use it when I have started to let up on pursuing His kigdom.

The second I went into my first horrific paunful flare I asked God to hlp me, I was really scared and at that second He baptized me in His Holy Spirit. I cannot resent this crud for that and will forever be grateful- no words can describe how I feel - that He saw fit to use it.

God's Peace

Sarah
  7. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

LittleBluestem, I appreciate your direct counsel. I agree totally with it. While the days you referred to were in the beginning, the last week or so has seen someone with me each time I have driven. If necessary, I have also taken a nap before I drive home; we don't want any accidents either.
  8. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

Jinlee,

Thanks for the suggestion about Skype. I was not aware of the program. I'll definitely check it out.

Poimae
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are in my daily prayers along with Tyler and his family. I have not stopped praying for then as well as you and your family since you first posted concerning this young mans accident.

I can relate to your pain and the IBS as well, but you are a lot more ill than I am. But those two things we do have in common, so its not hard to pray when you are yourself suffering from the same thing.

Tyler, well, God knows I have a grandson, and he is big on activities, very outdoor sort of kid, so I can relate to him having such a horrible accident happend to him.

I have prayered for the family's courage, and for Tyler to give it all to the Lord as that young man faces his young future, my heart bleeds for his challenges now and in the future.

I can't imagine how you are driving such a distance daily, but know that it is the Lord that is holding you up through all of this for these wonderful people.

You have my continued prayer, daily, all during the day, everyday.

God's most gracious blessings upon you, and those you are ministering too as well.

Lean on His strength, as He tells us, 'we are weak, but he is strong'. How true, as I would not be here had it not been for His strength in these last two years of my own life.

Know that I will never forget you or yours.............

Shalom, Shirl
  10. skikat

skikat New Member

dear brother in christ,
    i have just finished praying for you. i got this a little late but god knows yur needs now as he did then.

i know what you mean about ministering and feeling no pain while doing it. i go through the exact same thing. during a crusade , sometimes i am on my feet for 4 to 6 hours in heels ministering to the people and never feel a stroke of pain. but the minute it is over it is like all hell is turned loose against me. sometimes i cant walk for days. and i cant wear heels at all , only when i minister as they kill my feet. i just go on faith.

i am sure you do the same. i assure you that although we go unnoticed by the crowds, that HE is watching. and we will be rewarded. you must be a good man. i hope some day to meet you. and i guess some day i will! god bless you and your family and the other people that we are praying for. --ski--
  11. PoimaeHopkins

PoimaeHopkins New Member

Thank you for your kind words. It is my prayer that the Lord will continue to use you for His glory.

May the Lord bless you, is my prayer.

In the Master's service,

Poimae
  12. skikat

skikat New Member

hi poimae,greetings in the nameof our lord. i have had you and prayer for you on my mind since the other reply i wrote.
    i agree totally with you as to what the apostle paul wrote about the thorn in the flesh that is sometimes given to us.

i have sought the lord many times to just let me have the strength to minister t the ones who need me and to get me back home. i believe and call for the ministering and gaurdian angels to do this part for me. and they do. i ask GOD to please send such angels, because Jesus said that we could do anything that he could do and even geater thatn what he did , we will do. if he had the power to call 10,000 angels to take him from the cross, then so do we. and i do ask for them with faith believing. GOD has never failed me yet. and i believe that is what hee is doing for you.

we all must remember that the apostle paul who wrote 16 books of the n.t. did not do his writing out in the sunshine lounging, nor under a shade tree relaxing. he mostly did it from cold dark damp prision cells where they tossed him for his faith!
    but i also do not believe that sickness and disease comes from GOD all of the time either. take someone who wants t give GOD glory, and they break thier leg. then testify that it is for the glory of god! praise god! well, if they want to glorify GOD, why dont they , then, go out and break the other leg and give him some more glory??? doesnt make sense. does it? JESUS said that he came to save and heal and i have been healed many times. miracle healings. i will not accept that he cannot heal this disease, nor that he does not want to. it is all in timing. there are no clocks in heaven.

there will come a time , i believe, that if we keep believing, he will heal us. he made us for his good pleasure, and a loving father could not get pleasure from seeing his children, that are trying thier best to please him, suffer. it may take fasting of some sort, and prayer along with it. only the person that fasts knows what and how much they can fast. but you can fast anything, it doesnt have to be food. but there must be prayer and fervent prayer!

most places dont ven teach on fasting anymore, but JESUS said that sometimes we have to. and some today dont know what "fervent prayer" really is. it means in simple words, (praying till your ribs ache) as my father used to say. but i do know that there is healing out there for us . it may be divine healing, or from some other source. but it is there. i for one am going to fast and pray for you. till my ribs ache! lol JESUS loves you, you know this, and all of the rest of us know this. we also know that satan hates you.

you are in the image and likeness of GOD and he hates him, therfore he is punishing us , but we will overcome. tell satan everyday. "i will overcome! and i promise you (me) that i will do my part. for the glory of GOD.
    may he make his face to shine upon you and give his angels charge over you . in JESUS name , amen.-ski-