personality profile

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NIELK, Nov 21, 2005.

1. NIELK

NIELK Member

I was wondering if there is a commonality among us with cfs or fm to make us prone to these diseases.
    My personality is to keep all my problems inside. I've had my share of traumatic experiences in my life, yet I find it very hard to talk about them. Is this sickness a manifestation of all this built up feelings?
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Everyone knows exactly how I'm feeling! Never a doubt about that! LOL.

Seriously, my FMS was caused from the trauma of a spinal/neck surgery. So, I think in some cases, it could be an emotional/personality problem that may lead to this. But in my case, it simply isn't! PG
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I kept things inside for years

And I too, have had a very traumatic life (no exaggeration)
  4. NIELK

NIELK Member

thr reason why I think repressed feelings has something to do wit the sickness (for some of us) is that a while ago I was put on a medication that was very strong (xyrem) & it put me in an altered state for two days. While I was in that state, all my repressed feelings came rushing out. I couldn't stop talking about everything that has ever bothered me. AAfter this episode, for about a month I felt much better almost symptom free & then it came back full force. I'm trying to understand what happened to me.
    Can anyone help?
  5. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I'm really interested in the link between emotional trauma and chronic pain/illness. I'm a therapist, and I see a lot of chronic pain sufferers in my work.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not indicating that these DDs are necessarily psychological in origin, per se (obviously physical injury can be the cause, too, and maybe heredity alone) and certainly they are not "all in our heads!!"-- but prolonged emotional trauma causes a lot of physical changes in the brain and nervous system that may be linked to some of this stuff.

I, too, have a long history of trauma (emotional) and have wondered whether that plays a role in my pain.

I'd love to hear what others think about this.
  6. NIELK

NIELK Member

minimonkey,

I agree with you. I think that past experience of emotional/physical trauma affect you brain which control the health of your body. Especially if you haven't totally released the negative feelings inside.

7. millennia

millennia New Member

I've never been one to hold things in. I think it h as to do with how you are raised. My mother tells the person sitting next to her on the bus all her problems. Even with a family history of molestation, crack use, alcoholism, my mother watched her father killed right in front of her when she was seven. We talk about everything. I also don't have that type A personality that a lot of people on the board seem to have. At first I was wondering if there was a connection, but then I thought, people are rarely like, I was never much of a go getter. LOL

Here is the definition of a Type B personality. - The type B personality is relaxed, uncompetitive, and inclined to self-analysis.

That is me.