Pet Dog

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mjgkennedy, Jul 27, 2007.

1. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

Its been four weeks now since my little dog died. I said I wouldnt ever get another but I am so lost without having one as we had Teddy for 15 y ears.

I am thinking of getting two Female Yorkies but wonder would they be so happy with one anothers company they wouldnt interact much with me.

A friend of mine will have puppies in November but I think thats a bad time to take them as toilet training in the Winter would be harder but in saying that our Summer here this year might as well be Winter.

Appreciate advice.

2. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved friend. Each person/family is different about if and when it's time to love another pet. Sounds as though you're thinking about it. I have two cats and when I decided that I wanted a dog I researched different breeds and looked over the Net for shelters. The dog I fell in love with was 2 years old at the time so he was already trained and I was able to know his disposition and if he'd get along with cats and children. I think it would be difficult to train two puppies, but I've never really had to train a dog before. Is there a Yorkie association near you or over the Net that you could contact to get the information you need? I know I'm not really giving you any info that can help, I just wanted to let you know that I'd like to support you in this difficult time.

Warm thoughts.

3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I vote yes for you getting the yorkies! We already had a 5 year old 20 lb. border terrier when we got our yorkie and we were worried that he wouldn't like a new puppy. Well, they get along very well! And they both still want lots of human attention so that is not an issue.

Toilet training is hard with the yorkies. But our terrier was no picnic either! We have a boy and I've heard that boys are harder to train than girls. Dahopper has yorkies and she loves them. Maybe she can give you some advice.

4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

YIPES! I wouldn't want to potty train two at the same time!

I bought my son a minature schnauzer puppy as a surprise congratulations present for getting accepted to law school (temporary lapse of sanity on my part!)

I'd only get one doggie first rather than two.

I think you want to doggie to bond with you before bringing #2 doggie into the family dynamics. Also depends upon whether you end up with an Alpha dog or not.

My son's doggie is an alpha dog and is constantly testing boundaries. I can't imagine two like her! I love her so much, but she is a handful. She tests you on a daily basis. The entire neighborhood knows her by name. If the school bus goes by, bus windows start sliding down and kids are yelling, "Hi, Gretchen!"

She is a clown, a character, bullheaded, cute as a button, and spoiled as can be-----