Petechiae??? Small tiny red dots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mindyandy420, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

I have noticed that sometimes I get a little tiny spot either on my upper arms or thigh which look like tiny broken blood vessels under the skin. It is a small spot and they disapear pretty quickly...anywhere from hours to about a day.

I have had tons of blood work done and nothing ever comes of it. Does anybody else notice this? Auto-immune thing?
  2. poets

poets Member

I've been getting those for years. I have no idea what they are.

3. jmq

jmq New Member

I am glad you posted this! I have this big time...on my thighs and the back of my upper arms. I went to the doctor yesterday and forgot to show it to her. I have a feeling it is a heriditary thing because my Mother also had this as she aged ( I am in my 50's). I am very pale, redhead complexion...I hate them!

I hope someone not only can explain it...but have some suggestions on how to get rid of them.

4. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

I have been taking alot of ibrophen. I did hear that too much ibrophen can make this happen. I do hope other chime in.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I"ve had them since i started getting sick years ago, i remember askin the doc & he said it looks like petechiae, but thier the smallest ones ive ever seen. they are mostly on my stomache & sides and a few on my upper arms.
    never said much else about them, im guessing auto Immune, i have positive ana's a lot so probably something having to to with it. :(
  6. boscosmom

boscosmom New Member

too, but, i think they are normal part of aging...seemed to get more after my kidos were born.
  7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I accept that to some extent they are probably related to aging.

But I have ALWAYS had them, and MINE don't disappear! After reading up on them (autoimmune connection), I often wonder why no doctor has ever seemed to find them noteworthy before...even though I've come in with plenty of mysterious issues that would seem to be immune related!

The other day I had my daughter check out a mole on my back and she " have all these red dots on your back"...and I wasn't even aware of that, just the chest and belly dots!
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

I seem to recall something about porphryia (sp. may be wrong) causing this...

Have no idea what that is, but you might research that and see if it fits your situation.

Interesting....hope someone finds out what they mean and lets us know!

Ahhh, the sweet mysteries of the body!

9. i have these too.and a broken vein appeared on my nose.

i think when the weather is hot,we have little vein bleeds,so its important to keep cool.

i drink very cold tap water,(kept in the fridge),through out the day,especially if i get very hot, due to the extreme hot weather.

drinking the water will instantly cool my body internally.

love fran
  10. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

The petechiae I get are because I have low platelets. I have had them for years. They are mainly on my upper arms,stomach and chest.

I actually use my petechiae as a guide as to when to have my platelets checked because I get alot more of them when my platelets drop.

If you have had tons of bloodwork done guess this is not your problem though. Guess you will just have to ask your doc on your next appointment. Make yourself a note so you don't forget :)

Good luck in your search for answers of yet another mystery we seem to all endure at one time or another.
    Take care, Teresa

11. boscosmom

boscosmom New Member

out about them when things started to go wrong in my body...and i noticed EVERYTHING...i probably had them b/f and never noticed...but, anyway...EVERYONE in my fam has them and even my hub....look at your hub i bet he does too....we must meet up in the me a time and
  12. vmiller

vmiller New Member

I have just noticed them during my last flare-up. I have not ever had them before. I have them all over my legs and chest.

I have been wondering what they were.
  13. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

for all the replies. Mine are very small. You probably wouldnt really notice unless you were looking for it.

I wonder why it happens?
  14. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Can be symptoms of infection or a blood related disorder... For example, the "spotted fever" group of infections cause this. Hence the name. I think some viruses can too...
  15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have leukemia and get LOTS of them everywhere, including inside my mouth, when I'm in need of a platelet transfusion. If it's only one or two isolated small ones periodically, I think that's pretty normal for a lot of people and doesn't really mean much.

As long as your CBCs come out normal, I wouldn't worry; low platelets are obvious on a CBC and would have to be very low to cause serious petecchiae.

16. cntryredhead

cntryredhead New Member

I have them all over my torso and sometimes thighs. I've mentioned them to several Drs. and been told not to worry. I started getting them when I started feeling bad 2 1/2 years ago. I also started getting "floaters" which I was also told not to worry about. Just thought it was strange these two things started happening with the pain and fatigue.
  17. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have them all over my torso and thighs due to Lyme Disease. They are a classic sign of it.