Pets and Comfort

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cookie1960, Jul 31, 2008.

1. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

This may be a little off topic, but I'm just curious how many of you out there get comfort from your pets during this difficult time in your life?

I have 2 cats who have been with me the past 5 years since onset and dx of FM. They seem to sense when I am having a flare and will give me more cuddles then usual. When I take a nap or go to bed early - they always snuggle up real close and act as a purring heating pad!

On the other hand...if I'm on this computer too long, they have been known to chomp on the power line cord seeking attention. Or simply sit on the monitor - legs draped over the screen.

Pets give the unconditional love we should get from everyone we know. I hope you are blessed with a pet in your life.

2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I have two dogs and they are very loving to me.

Lucky is my shadow and she seems to sense when I don't feel well and stays close to me~ which is often .

Brietta will let me know if I've been at the computer too long. :)

I'm so glad to have my dogs in my life.

Gentle hugs, Susan

3. sunflowerxo

sunflowerxo New Member

I have a minpin and he is always so loving and cuddles with me no matter what and is just happy hanging around with me even on days I cannot walk him. Sometimes I know they feel when you are down and sick and they cuddle more!
  4. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I love my pets even more since I became sick.Ruthie
  5. Willow97

Willow97 New Member

I love my girls, I have 3 Border Collies...Willow, Angel and Stormy..I can't imagine life without them, I find I really never get lonely with them around..Unconditional love!!!

I also have 3 horses (2 large and 1 mini)and a very spoiled goat. I love them also but not like my girls!

Have a great day, Wilow97
  6. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I love my kitties! I lost my 10 year old in April then went to the shelter in May and got 2 more and already I love them! Pets are awesome companions!
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 birds, 1 tortoise and 1 fish tank.

I love all my pets and I don't know what I would do without them. They are part of the family.

They definitely help when I am not feeling well and they are great for keeping me company when I am alone or just cannot get out of bed and be with people.

I wouldn't give any of them up for anything.
  8. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Cookie--I can't even begin to tell you how much comfort my dogs give to me. Besides cuddling up next to me all day and thinking that I am the Queen Alpha, they make me get up to care for them. We have seven--five toy poodles and two chihuahuas. Most are rescues from Petfinder and have disabilities or are elderly. We have a sweet little chihuahua who uses a cart due to paralysis and I "run" her bladder for her.

Even on my hardest days, when I am literally stuck to the bed, I manage to get up every hour or so to take Delilah to the bathroom. I also feed my dogs twice a day (with a little help) and that gives me a lot of pride. Everybody knows I'm REALLY sick if I can't make 7 tiny bowls of food. It think it's so important to be needed and relied upon even if we are very incapacitated.

Pets are so important. Studies show that they lower our blood pressure, lessen depression, and cause us to live longer. Yes, they can be a pain sometimes but they give back so so much. Our family spends many hours laughing at the antics of our group. I can't imagine life without a houseful. I think doctors should be prescribing them for us!!

9. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

I could just tell from the kind hearted posts on this website that we had many animal lovers here! And I agree...I think many sufferers of FM/CFS/ME/MS would benefit from a pet-either low maintenance or high maintenance depending on capabilities.

Maybe these dr's should prescribe pets instead of drugs.

hugs to my fellow pet lovers,
  10. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Cookie and Others -

I have had CFS for 12 years. I am on disability and mostly housebound. I currently have 5 cats.

When I first got sick I could barely get from my bed to the bathroom and the kitchen was a struggle. I knew somewhere deep inside that whatever movement I could do around the house was important for circulation, etc. And I knew the cats depended on me to be fed and tended to every day on a regular schedule. This pushed me to function and some days gave me my only activity.

Now that I am a bit better and am stronger and not afraid to leave one room for another taking care of my cats is still a major activity all day for me. And when I'm real fatigued or hurting or sad they are right with me on the bed making me feel warm and loved. I really think they have been God's way of making me move and giving me a reason to function each day for all these years. And because I am alone so much they breathe life into my existence and keep me going.

11. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

I have 4 dogs, (2 inside, 2 out), 3 cats (1 inside that has 4 kittens but they are leaving as soon as they are weaned and she is getting fixed. SHe got out through our dryer vent one night and got knocked up!!!!), 2 horses and 3 goldfish. Yes I am definately an animal lover, and even though I rarely feel like riding my horse anymore just petting him and loving on him makes me feel better. My dogs are always right by my side. They are too much work sometimes, even though ds and dh help me with them but I love them so much I have to be around animals.

12. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Okay..that comment made me laugh out loud this morning!

13. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I have a dog - he is wonderful like a little person! He seems to sense when I'm not well and have to lie in bed.

He usually barks when he hears cars but if he sees I'm sleeping - only when I don't feel well he just gets up and checks whats going on but without going so crazy. He oftne lies in bed with me all day when I'm not eeling great.

Makes me feel like I have a friend.

I am also surrounded by 500 monkeys as I live at a place that rehabilitates monkeys and I go to see them daily offering them a few pumpkin seeds when the other vounteers have finished for the day and it's quiet.
  14. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

for our pets. I don't know if i would even be here without my sweetest little girl, Princess Fiona, the Pug. She is a gift from God and I cherish her.
  15. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I have a great pet cat her name is Penny, well she's still a kitten (9months). My phyciatrist told me pets are excellent therapy. I know Penny has brightened my life since I got her I never was a cat person but since we live in and apartment and not allowed dogs we decided to get a kitten. What a great idea that was. I will try to post her pic in my profile because she is so unique. :)
  16. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

Most of my life I've had a pet of some sort around. But right now I have a little chihuahua who loves me soooo much that really comforts me. I have a Golden Retriever and another chihauhua but this one just loves me to death and it really helps to have that.
  17. optimiss

optimiss New Member

I have a mini Doxie named Buck. He goes everywhere possible with me. I lost my Doxie, Cedar, of 9 yrs. in March and the day he disappeared I had the worst Panic Attack of my life and ended up in the ER. A month later I got little Buck who is now 8 months old. My Furbaby is my little Angel! He is very sensitive to how I feel. If I take a nap he sleeps with me, usually with his little face pressed up against mine. I can hear his soft snore and heartbeat. He is a great comfort on good days and bad! He can tell when my pain is bad and he will look at me, cock his head sideways, and look at me questioningly as if to say, are you okay? Then he will put his little paws on my chest and lick my face! I love and cherish him so very much! Thanks for this topic. Reading about everyone's special little "Angels" has given me a much needed lift!