Petuitary Gland Stimulation...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

Has anyone else ever had their petuitary gland stimulated to see if it would start producing growth hormones? I have an appointment coming up with OHSU and they want to inject me with "something" to see if my petuitary gland will start producing growth hormones on it's own. Has anyone else ever had this done, and if so, what were the results and did the stimulation process cause any side affects? Thanks for any information you might have.

Dara
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

Has anyone else ever had their petuitary gland stimulated to see if it would start producing growth hormones? I have an appointment coming up with OHSU and they want to inject me with "something" to see if my petuitary gland will start producing growth hormones on it's own. Has anyone else ever had this done, and if so, what were the results and did the stimulation process cause any side affects? Thanks for any information you might have.

Dara
  3. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

I havent had this done but find it intersting. When I was last saw my psych I asked him about biofeedback because I thought it might be helpful but he said that there is a new teqnique for people in my position that was something like magnetic stimulation of the brain. It was only a short appointment so I didnt get a chance to persue it.
    how are they planning to do stimulate the pineal gland??
    can you tell us more. It sounds really intersing approach and would be great if you get good results.
    love therese
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

I really don't know that much as to how they plan to stimulate it. What I was told was nothing to eat after midnight the night before, water and black coffee OK. She said she would inject me with ??? and then they will take a tube of blood once every half hour for two and a half hours to see it the petuitary gland has started releasing the growth hormones. My growth hormone level was 61 and from what I understand that is quite low. Also, the idea of the test is whether or not my petuitary gland is even capable of producing these hormones. I know that if it can't produce on it's own they of course want to give you the growth hormone injections, since I'm not independently wealthy that wouldn't even be an option. It is my understanding the cost is anywhere from $1500 to $2000 per month and not covered by health insurance. This is all being done at OHSU and there is a possibility that there is a grant for research that just might cover some of this. I will let you know more as I learn more.

Dara
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

WOW. Go to www.saginaw.k12 for a fascinating web site regarding the brain and seratonin, melatonin and the endocrine system per se.

It was fascinating and I put it in my "favorites" as I barely got to glance about it but info on the pinial gland was quite a trip!! The part about the excess melatonin in a blind group (test group) and their difficulties of not being able to see coinciding in excess levels was fascinating as was the pineal gland "third eye" in animals!

So. You are going to have which stimulated?

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind (another subject) the endocrine system plays a major role in our syndrome(s). The more I study the endocrine system the more complicated it becomes!!

Please let us know what kind of test, what for, et al.; sounds fascinating! CactusLil'
  6. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

sorry I misread pituitary to pineal [well they both begin with p]. still I was thinking hormone regulation which does seem to figure so much with us. Dara I do hope the tests are okay be sure to try and stay relaxed!!!. It must be awful not being able to get meds you need because of cost. We have that problem here in the uk too. do keep us posted.
    Lil
    I agree the endoctrine system plays a central role with us but as you say its really complicated. Its a case of what is causing what a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario.
    Lets face the doctors havent a clue whats happenening but Isometime soon theyve just got to wakew up!!!!.
    I think I might be having a bit of a rant day. sorry.
    love therese
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

is somehow connected to the Thymus Gland and it is there that all of the body's hormones are produced. My understanding is that these glands produce the growth hormones, tetosterone, and all those other things. There was a large article in one of the issues of "Fibromyalgia Network" explaining a lot of this. I was told that your body produces growth hormones for only twenty minutes sometime during the sleep cycle, which would explain why it's a problem with Fibromyalgia people. Also, if you are not producing enough then your body doesn't heal itself and also your physical being is much older than your chronological being. Does all this make sense yet? Anyway, what they will do is give me something that will activate my petuitary gland to see if it is capable of producing the right amount of growth hormone. Meaning that some people are capable of it but they need a "jumpstart", while other people's system just for some reason are not able to produce enough. I really don't know as much about this as I would like to but guess I'll be learning soon. As far as the hormone system goes I had 2/3 of my thyroid removed 11 years ago and have never been put on thyroid medication. I have always questioned this, my thyroid levels come within "normal" range, but always right at the bottom number. Due to the fact that I also have tachacardia they don't seem to want to introduce even a small amount of thyroid medication. Also, had a complete hysterectomy in 93 and have been on Premarin ever since. Even though I have had FM since childhood I can honestly say my symtoms have become much more pronounced after those two surgeries, not over night, just slowly crept up on me, but then again that could be age setting in.

Dara
  8. thereseuk

thereseuk New Member

Its funny but like you I think that I have had fms/cfs since childhood and it first started becoming more severe when I had my tubes tied foloowing the birth of my twins in 91. I thought that 5 kids was enough!!!. Then 3 years ago I had a hysterectomy and thats when things went haywire. I do think that hormones are definately involved so its good that you are getting it checked out.
    when is your appointment.
    let us know how it goers.
    love therese
  9. rge

rge New Member

fluoride acts on all of the endoctrine system - pitituary, thyroid, parathyroid, hippocampus.

See "mysterious diseases" on the list

add the magic word "fluoride" to all of your google searches and be prepared to be amazed