pH readings, alkaline diet, lag time, need input

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HagerTX, Apr 13, 2006.

1. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Last week I made a few significant changes in my diet in an attempt to eat more of an 'alkaline producing' diet. Earlier this week, the pH test strips I ordered arrive and since then I've taken (urine) readings several times throughout the day.

From what I've read, the readings will invariably be acidic first thing in the morning. This seems to be true in my case. Later during the day the readings were 7.0-7.5 and sometimes later in the evening they would get acidic again.

Essentially what has puzzled me today is that I went back to eating my old diet yesterday (just temporarily). Eating refined sugar in soda and chocolate. In the hours after consuming all the sugar--my readings were still alkaline. Anyone experienced this? It just surprises me that it's alkaline after eating sugar and other things that in theory should produce acidic urine.

All in all, I wanted to temporarily alter my diet and try to guage what things would alter the readings. It surprised me that altering the diet was making me alkaline. Or does it have a longer lag time. Anyone??
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  2. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, did you test yours regularly at any point? my saliva is reading slightly acidic and my urine gets more alkaline throughout the day. gets very acidic after taking Doxepin (within an hour)