Pharmacy Give You the Wrong Med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dancingstar, Nov 4, 2005.

1. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Yesterday, I went to refill my usual prescriptions, and when I went to take two before I went to bed, I realized that the stuff in the bottle isn't what the label says it is.

One pill looked exactly like the one I take except it was the wrong color, and it could have been a different manufacturer or something; so I took it. The other looked completely different, and I didn't take it.

Turns out, I think, that one of them is Ativan...not the one I took. No clue as to what that was. The pharmacy is going to send someone out with the right stuff, and I'm returning these.

I know mistakes happen, but that could have been dangerous. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

It hasn't happened to me, but I actually just read a warning on a headache webpage about there being a lot of mix ups with Topamax (which I take) and another med which has a similar name.

So, check your meds very carefully before you take them!!! And if it is a new med, you can do some online research and some sites will show the pills so that you know you got the right stuff!
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I usually look at the pills before I leave the pharmacy just because of that. I have never gotten another pill, but many times they change which generic they use, so the pills look different.

Now I check. But, you are right! How dangerous that could be. I'm glad you are OK.

Whew!

Sue
  4. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

...it was Topamax.

I take 150 mg. No clue as to what they game me for 100s, but I think the 25s were Ativan.

They just brought me replacement pills. One good thing about taking Topamax for weight loss is that it doesn't do anything to me if I don't take it for a few days...and I haven't. Actually, I feel pretty darn good except for a minor headache.

Wonder what I took last night....:)
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

That's crazy that it WAS Topamax! I read the warning article on the National Headache Foundation website just the other day.
  6. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I took Toprol instead of Topomax, which is why I have a headache. It's a blood pressure medication. This could really not be a good thing since I worked out at Billy Blanks' this morning.

My pharmacist says that it should be out of my system by early evening. Um....for the first time, I don't have anything to say. I'm kind of shocked.

He knows -- and I do, too, who filled this yesterday, and he is going to have a talk with her.
  7. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Wow, there it is in black and white, guess I'm not the first that this has happened to:

"Toprol-XL (metoprolol succinate) extended release tablets
    Topamax (topiramate) tablets

"Audience: All healthcare professionals
    [UPDATE September 30, 2005] Letters from Ortho-McNeil Neurologics, Inc. added below

"[Posted 09/26/2005] AstraZeneca and FDA notified healthcare professionals reports of medication dispensing or prescribing errors between Toprol-XL (metoprolol succinate) extended release tablets, indicated for the treatment of hypertension, long-term treatment of angina pectoris, and heart failure NYHA Class II or III, and Topamax (topiramate), a product of Ortho-McNeil Neurologics, Inc, indicated for the treatment of epilepsy and migraine prophylaxis. There have also been reports of medication errors involving confusion between Toprol-XL and Tegretol or Tegretol-XR (carbamazepine), products of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, indicated for the treatment of complex partial seizures, generalized tonic-clonic seizures, and trigeminal neuralgia. These reports include instances where Toprol-XL was incorrectly administered to patients instead of Topamax, Tegretol, or Tegretol-XR, and vice versa, some of them leading to adverse events.

"[September 2005 - Dear Healthcare Professional Letter - Ortho-McNeil Neurologics, Inc.]
    [September 2005 - Dear Pharmacist Letter - Ortho-McNeil Neurologics, Inc.]

"[September 22, 2005 - Dear Healthcare Professional Letter - AstraZeneca]
    [September 22, 2005 - Dear Pharmacist Letter - AstraZeneca]

"Return to Top | MedWatch Home | MedWatch Safety Info | Online MedWatch Report | Contact MedWatch"

Fortunately, I don't take Topamax for seizures, just for weight control, but the other drug can't be good to take if you don't need it.
  8. jake123

jake123 New Member

If a pharmacy can make a mistake, my pharmacy can do it. But last month they accidently gave me 30 Ambien instead of 15. I didn't tell them!
  9. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Yes - and it can happen so easily and be so dangerous. I picked up a prescription for my elderly mother who was becoming a little "vague" and was no longer doing her own shopping. If I had not noticed the totally different shape, size and colour of the tablets, compared to the ones she already had at home, and taken the bottle back to the chemist, I do not know what could have happened. Apparently, two bottles were cross labelled and someone else got her medication. Dangerous - but can happen.
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I got the wrong med yesterday. Was supposed to be Detrol 2 mg. and it is usually a white pill that is very tiny. These were capsules that were teal in color.

Now I don't know if they were the Detrol LA or what. I didn't take them, but hubby has to take them back to the Kroger pharmacy to get the right meds.

Good thing I looked at them before I brought them upstairs.

I really have no idea what they are. I don't know what the Detrol LA look like.

I'm one who won't take any meds if they are different until I call the pharmacist and find out they are okay. But this was a brand name and doesn't come in generic yet.

Yes, I agree it could be very dangerous. I have a lot of generic meds I take.

Hugs,
    Faye
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I filled my scripts from my doctors appt and I was not really thinking about the meds I had just paid for. When I got home I loked at the MSIr { MORPHINE INSTANT RELASE},I was wondering if they had ran out of the ones I take and had opened another ccompany's MSIR but instead of being a light brown, this straight pills that are almost oblong. I didn't take them as they usually tell me that they have changed companines adn i will haev different colors of the meds. But No one and said a thing to me about it.

I remembered that my mom had just gotton her pregisone adn it looked different than the normal ones did so she took them back to the pharmacy , where she learned that they had been the sammme pills but from another company and they wre much smaller than the nromal 10 mg's that she takes.

So with that still on my mind I called my pharmacy adn told the pharmist that I was given something totally different than the usual MSIR. HE said don't take any of them so I hurried back there and sure enough they had been in a hurry and given me 30 mg's of oxicontin instead of the MSIR.. tha really could have made me very ill and overdoesed too. as I take the MSIR 4 times a day and I take the MSCOntin up to 5 times a day and i would have had some big problems if I had taken them to gether.

So he took my bottle and changed the pills to the right ones and has appoligies everytime i see him. So I am going to watch better from now on about what I am being given. I don't want to Od because the pharmist was busy and I got the wrong meds.

So pay attention to what your meds look like so that you will know if they don't look right and if they are not teh usual pills that you ahve gotten take them back and have the pharmist recheck them to make sure that you have the right meidcatation.

I would not have thought much of it but my MOm had just otld me about it whhile we were walking around the store waiting for the scripts to be filled.
    I am really glad that I paid attention to what the shape and size of my pills look like if I could have been a really sick person.

Take care of your selves,
    Rosemarie
  12. libra55

libra55 New Member

I dropped off a scrip for my daughter. The young lady at the counter (I don't know if she was a pharmacist or a pharmacy tech) had about five scrips laid out on the counter in front of her, to which she added the one I gave her. Then she proceeded ask for my daughter's information (which was on file anyway since we always use the same pharmacy), while typing it in she PICKED UP THE WRONG SCRIP and started to type the label.

I wasted no time pointing out to her she had the wrong prescription. She was very embarrassed. Had I not been standing right there we would have got the wrong medicine.

Usually I just drop 'em off but this time decided to wait for it. Good thing.

I am hearing this happens more and more lately.

Michelle
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hubby took the capsules back to the pharmacy and apparently the med was Detrol LA. Well I take the Detrol reg. little white tablets.

They messed up and so gave my husband the $35 copay for that med back, because he had to make an extra trip back there.

So that was nice of the Kroger Pharmacy.

I'm getting ready to get off the computer for the night. Football is tomorrow and we get to see the Miami game.

Hope everyone is feeling well today. Our weather is wonderful and we have windows opened!

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

I have worked in pharmacy for the past 22 years, first as a technician then as a trainer. I worked in retail pharmacy for 19 years and just want to give a couple of suggestions.

There is a shortage of pharmacists in most every US state so please try to be patient when your script is being filled. You would not believe the folks who stand at the end of the counter tapping their keys or some other rude thing somehow thinking that this will hurry the process along! In reality it just makes the pharmacy personnel nervous. And you really don't want to make these people nervous, they hold peoples lives in their hands. It takes time to fill a script. You would not believe the steps that are required just to get the actual script ready, not to mention the darn insurance problems!

Everyone should pay attention to what they take and what their meds look like because I'm sorry to have to tell you that pharmacist are human so there will be mistakes. No one feels worse than the pharmacist when a person gets the wrong RX. I get my meds filled at Target and they have a printout that comes with every RX that describes the medication ie size, color, markings, shape, etc. I think some other pharmacys are using a similar system and it's a great resource for the customer. If your pharmacy doesn't have it maybe you could suggest it.

It is our responsibility to take care of our bodies,(even if they are a real pain) so please look at your meds when you bring them home and if they look different find out why. If the pharmacist that you are using gets pissy when you question your prescription, get your meds somewhere else. This is something they should always take very seriously.

Sending good thoughts out to all ~ Mickie

[ advertisement ]