Pharmacy Medications. Is This The Best Way?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tanoshiende, Nov 1, 2006.

1. tanoshiende

tanoshiende New Member

America has the most extensive health care system in the world. Americans pay more for health care than citizens of any ither country. In 2002 we spent over 1.5 Trillion
    Dollars, an average of $5300 dollars, for every man, women and child in this country.
    Yet the United States ranks as one of the least healthy
    countrys in the developed world. Our infant mortality rate
    is worse than 20 other nations. People live longer on average in 25 other countrys. We are in the top five in the world, with incidents of Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes and Auto Immune Disorders.

What has gone wrong? Why are U.S. health care costs rising faster than any other country, even as our overall health
    declines?

It is important to note that the United States has the best emergency health care system in the world. Our medical doctors are very successful at repairing damage to the human body and at saving lives. But these type of trauma cases represent a very small percentage of all health problems. The majority of health problems are treated with
    pharmacy drugs, which is the major cause of our care crisis. There are currently 25,000 prescription and 200,000 over the counter drugs on the market.
    3.5 Billion Prescriptions are written each year.
    Between pharmacy medications and over the counter drugs, the average family has 29 different drugs in their medicine cabinet. Americans consume 68 percent of all of the drugs in the world.
    Drugs are foreign to the body. Drugs work by altering the body's natural biochemistry, in order to suppress the symptoms. The true cause of the problem can grow worse with the body's natural healing mechanism compromised by drugs. In fact by interfering with norman cell function, drugs can cause cellular malfunction, which is the same as causing disease. Unfortunately, when drugs cause disease , we have been trained not to call it disease. Instead we use the deceptive term, ( "Side Effects" ).
    In addition to toxicity, drugs also cause severe nutritional deficiencies by depleting the body of essential nutrients. Antibiotics, anti inflamitories and stroids, all damage the human digestive system by imparing the ability of the body to digest foods and nutrients.
    Our healing force come from within.
    Symptoms represent the body's best efforts to heal itself. By treating symptoms, we are suppressing the body's natural response and inhibiting the healing process. Instead of
    treating symptoms, many more doctors should stimulate the body's defense to allow for completion of the healing process.

According to the National Council on Patient information
    and education, over 50 percent of all prescriptions are used incorrectly. Misuse or noncompliance is a major health problem in the United States, resulting in 218,000
    deaths and hospitalization 1 Million individuals annualy.

Not all adverse reactions to new drugs can be anticipated or avoided under the present system, according to many medical experts. It is simpley not possible to identify all the adverse drugs before they a marketed.
    Acording to a study in the New England Journel of Medicine, overall 51 percent of approved drugs have serious side effects not detected prior to approval. Side effects from new drugs cannot be detected for two main reasons: (1) Individuals very greatly in their reactions to chemical
    substances: and (2) drugs are tested where side effects may not appear in such a small group, but may become painfully obvious when millions of people start taking the drug.

Americans consume over 15 Tons of Aspirin a day, 34 Billion aspirin tablets per year. NSAIDS, which include drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen and acetaminophen, are thought to be harmless drugs, but in an average year they will, Be responsible for over 200,000 cases of gastrintestinal bleeding, and thousands of deaths.
    Kidney disease, stomach ulcers, toxic headaches and health problems with our children from over use of over the counter medications.

The elderly are especially likely to be over medicated.
    Their average prescription rate is 13 percent of the market
    per year. Elderly Americans spend over 3 Billion Dollars a year on prescription medications.
    Adverse drug reactions especially trouble the elderly, because they are more likely to have multiple underlying health problems and also tend to have a weekened liver and kidneys, which break down and eliminate medications.

The Public Citizens Health Research Group, reports the following prescription drug induced conditions per year over the age of 60. A million adverse reactions to prescription drugs.
    243,000 hospitalized due to prescription drugs.
    163,000 mentally impaired due to prescribed drugs.
    2 Million addicted to prescription drugs.
    Pharmacy Medications and over the counter drugs have their
    needs, but not to the degree we misuse them in America.
    We have choices to make, instead of looking for short cuts
    to improving our own health.

[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  2. suz45

suz45 New Member

Unfortunately we have become a country where if we see something advertised on TV, magazines etc.. we buy it. Recently I saw an advertisement for a sleep med saying take the 7 day challenge ask your doctor about... On the other side the paharmecutical companys have put more and more money into also pushing to the physicians.

Its embarrassing for me tell people, but my father a pharmacologist has been in the consulting business with all the major drug companies both here and in Europe for years...The bucks they shell out for perks for doctors at "medical education conventions " is incredible.

We also as a nation collectively are looking for the easiest way possible, forget the lifestyle changes, or modifications. We are told to take a med and atuomatically many do. I would like to think that with the advances in medicine that we wouldn't be headed in thia direction, but we are. Also the lobbying efforts by the major pahrmaceuticals are powerful and I beleive that even though they say they don't have influence on the FDA they do. We ust don't see it.

Doctors are stressed, looking for the best way to help the patient, have limited time with them so medications become the deal with dthe majority of patients.

I myself will refuse a med if I have concerns about safety, I am particularly cautious of new meds as the requirements to push thru meds for FDA approval has been substantially lessened since when my father worked for the FDA 25 years ago....

People have to smart, do there homework, not accept info as word, and be willing to look at alternatives to taking so many meds.. Meds definatley have a place in health care we can't go without them and they are not only life savers but improve the quality of life for millions of people. The question is where to draw the line for oneself. With all the info available on the web, I believe we can become more informed medical consumers. Think about how uch time you spend when buying a car. Isn't our bodies and minds worth at least as much.

Well I think I have said enough. I am not anti med, I would just like to see people that can reduce their meds and use alterbntives and make modifications do that if possible.

Suz45
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I hear you loud and clear and say I SECOND that. I am not happy with the current medical paridgm, have spent YEARS RESEARCHING alternatives to drugs. I am NOT totally anti-drug, but what I am against, is when a Doctor uses drugs as their FIRST AND ONLY approach to health problems. For me, a drug is my last resort. But, I didn't always live my life this way. The first 10-15 years of my illness, I took many drugs Drs. would offer, then learned the harm it was doing to my detoxification organs, by studying the P450 pathways.

Sometimes symptoms ARE ACUTE and must be dealt with swiftly and SOMETIMES our limited resources (be they knowledge, or financial)*seemingly)force the use of prescription drugs. It is those times I, too, resort to them. But, they are not my first and only attempt to treat health challenges. I think of them as a "CRUTCH" while attempting to find a non-drug alternative. Oh, I KNOW I'm gonna get blasted for that.

I enjoy your posts and hope you continue on your positive path to good health.