Pharmacy shorted me meds what to do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FM58, May 24, 2006.

1. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am in a very difficult predicament right now & don't know what to do.

When I filled my pain med prescription at the beginning of the month - I heard the pharmasist say to me "We don't have enough to fill this whole thing right now" I remember replyingThat's OK".

What happens when my pharmacy does not have enough medication, they attach a pink slip, with that medication's Rx # on it. Since you have already signed & paid for it, you do not have to sign for it again.

I was not really paying attention - but the young girl, checking me out- pulled off the pink slip as I was picking up my multiple prescriptions.

Well now I am out of my pain meds! I am afraid to approach the pharmacy and tell them this - because they will tell me I picked up my medication already- I don't have any proof that the cashier did this. I don't even remember which one it was, they have so many young college & HS girls working there.

Should I talk to the pharmicist that was on duty that day? I am afraid they will think I am abusing my meds - which is sooooo not so! Thankfully I found some old medicstion, so I am not going through withdrawl (although I had started to).

Or should I just ignore this situation & watch very carefully when I fill my prescription in June? I am so afraid this girl stole my medication & either used it herself or sold it. Gggggrrr!

Help!
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Maybe they have the pink slip. It should have been given to you though.......you are right, they have too many kids working in the pharmacy and things very easily get messed up. This happened to me one, only a bit different.
    I got the same number of pills as usual, but they were in a much smaller bottle....I didn't think it looked right, so my hubby and I both counted them. Sure enough, there were bnearly 50 missing!!!! I tok the pills right back to them the next day and showed them how 50 more could not podssibly have fit in the bottle and they shorted me. The pharmacist counted them and I was right.
    They are only human, they do make mistakes and I have since changed phamacies. I had alot of trouble (for years!) with Wa****ens! I have even had them without drugs from me saying that I shouldn't take them and they have told my hubby in the past I needed to stop taking certain meds, cause they were dangerous......this is for me dr to decide!!!
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

It should be in there computer system as to how many pills they gave you.

Sue
  4. deb06

deb06 New Member

And talk to the HEAD PHarmacist. I only deal with ONCE head pharmacist now because of situations like this.

One time, I was given 60 pain meds instead of 100. I called right away and was told that they always COUNT TWICE on narcotics and NEVER make a mistake with them.
    I told them that they DID. They said they would recount their supply, but they were sure the count would be right. *** I told them regardless of their count- that I was telling the truth. They were almost insinuating that I was trying to get extra pill. I was NOT happy.

They called me back apologizing profusly...

Anyway- always deal with the real pharmacist.
    Get a short count in writing.
    Go in and clear this up- they keep a clear record and count on everything for legal purposes, so they should be able to find out. Maybe its in their computer.

BUT ALWAYS DEAL WITH THE BOSS WHEN EVER POSSIBLE :>

Debs
  5. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

and if they don't have enough pills to fill the whole prescription, then they put on the bottle that they owe me the number of pills they didn't have.

TxSongBird
  6. winsomme

winsomme New Member

if the pharmacy is worth their salt, they will fill the rest of the prescription.

this happened with my sisters Rx of Ambien and they didn't even leave any note. they just only put in about 40 pills when it was supposed to be 60.

if you are a regular cusotmer, go to the pharmacist and explain the situation.

they should comply.

thanks
    bill
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

They should have a system that will have another way to keep tract of your picked up meds.She may have pulled the pink paper but did not check off that you picked up meds on another list .Im sure there have been people who lost the pink paper and still came back because they needed their pills.They should cross reference a couple places it helps with inventory.So in other words if you didnt pick it up then it should still be in a inventory listing they use to reorder.If they do not have a system like this then employee's could steal meds.
    Talk to the man who was on duty.If there is a problem and you are being honest and yet it shows the meds pick up then one of two things
    1.they need to fix their system with a cross reference of drug pick ups.
    2.they need to look at employees who were working.
    All you can do is be Honest the rest is in their hands.
    let us know what happens
    mine also writes how many on the bottle if it is short.[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2006]
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

They owe you pills. That's the long and short of it. They should have it on computer, as was said before.

Don't hesitate. Walk up to that counter and look 'em straight in the eye! You've done nothing wrong. So often we who are so fatigued and in pain forget that we're paying for good service and should insist on it. If they give you trouble take your business elsewhere.

I'm not well but I'm getting more assertive. lol

Hugs,
    Marta
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fm58:

I would go right ahead and tell the pharmacist and let him or her know how many pills are owed to you.

For me, my blood pressure med was shorted one month, my Lexapro another and I was given a medication (in my name) which was someone else's.

They are human. They know they make mistakes.

Worth a try.

nyrofan
  10. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

We use one pharmacy for all of our meds and the pharmacist knows us by name. You have to proactive with your pharmacy in order for them to recognize you as a client and to make sure they know you aren't trying to get more than you are owed. Make a decision to get to know your pharmacist and his assistants.

TxSongBird
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Everybody is right on.

1) they should have a record
    2) make a fuss if you have to.

I know the second point is difficult when one hasn't much energy. If necessary file a complaint with the board that licenses the pharmacy.
  12. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I call the pharmicist frequently with questions I have about the Rxs. They have been very good to try to answer my Questions.

My only problem with them is that they frequently seem to be "out" of it or have just a partial fill. That irritates me as i live 17 mi. away and have to make an extra trip. They do put on the bottle that they owe my that many.

Do plan to talk to the head man or gal and get your correct amount of meds. That makes you want to change pharmacys.

Keep working on it.
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

In addition to the pink slip, in MOST STATES, IT IS REQUIRED THAT THEY DENOTE ON THE BOTTLE THAT THE PRESCRIPTION WAS SHORT SO MANY AND IT WILL BE FILLED LATER.

Check the bottle, call the pharmacist, AND FROM NOW ON, COUNT THEM RIGHT THERE BEFORE YOU LEAVE AND NEVER ACCEPT A SHORT WITHOUT THE PINK SHEET, SIGNED IN BLOOD.
  14. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hopefully, in addition to the pink slip there is a backup system indicating partial fill.

I, too, had problems with my prescriptions being filled properly and short counts. I finally had enough and switched pharmacies. Haven't had a problem since.

Nothing has been lost, their on-line and phone-in refill systems work smoothly and they will even call my house and leave a message if a med. gets filled ahead of schedule so that I know I can go and pick up.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie