Phenergan Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by gb66, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Has anyone ever used Phenergan for the nausea associated with migraines? I am going to ask my doctor for a pres. because I've been having more migraine type headaches lately.

I used to take phenergan years ago and I remember it helping me with the nausea and helping me go to sleep when having a migraine. I think I'd like to try it again because I didn't have any bad side effects. It made me feel a little hung over the next day but nothing else.

I was also reading that it's good for allergies and also as a sleep aid. Has anyone had experience with it? I'd love to know how others with CFS and/ or FM have reacted. I also have MCS so I have to really be careful what meds I take. Thanks. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2013]
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

Hi, gb66 . . . I took Phenegran for nausea + headache (not sure if it was migraine) not too long ago. I recovered quickly from the nausea and slept for about 3 hrs straight. Like you, I had a slight hangover feeling when I woke up. But, overall, I felt better. Hope this helps.

Sharon
  3. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks. That was pretty much my experience with it also. I left a message with my doctor's nurse today to see if she'd phone it in for me. I hope they do.

I looked it up online and it's not addictive and can't cause physical dependence, not a controlled substance. I'm not comfortable with any of those anymore. GB66
  4. kshy

kshy New Member

Hi,

My 13 year old son had really bad migraines with nausea for past 5 years & we had tried all preventive prescription medicines for him. On suggestion from a doctor of Naturopathic medicine, we started giving him a spoonful of unsalted butter & sugar mixed together - first thing in the morning (even before brushing) followed by a glass of warm water. Not to eat anything for 45 mins after that. This simple treatment cured his nausea completely in a week or so. Instead of subjecting yourself to all the prescription meds, this is a harmless thing worth trying.

Good Luck!
  5. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I am diabetic so I don't think I could do the sugar. It's too much at one time and 45 minutes is a long time to wait to eat. If it weren't for that it might work.

I'm glad your son found a way to get relief. Migraines are really painful and the nausea adds to the misery, for sure. One of my grandsons had migraines at that age but he outgrew them.

I hate taking prescription meds too. I've never tried the preventative migraine meds but I have taken phenergan for nausea and it works pretty fast. I just take 1/4 of a tablet. GB66
  6. Hi gb66, I've taken phenergan over the years for nausea (had to with most of my pregnancies) and had pretty good results. During my last pregnancy (12 years ago) my doc gave me a drug called Zofran, which is a drug for nausea that they give to chemo patients. It worked well too. But now that I have such severe MCS, like you, I always try peppermint tea or tea with ginger in it first, and usually that helps. I also have Aloe Vera capsules that I take for stomach upset, which also usually helps. Sometimes I take the Aloe Vera WITH the peppermint tea. And if the nausea is really bad, it takes about 3 aloe vera and 2 cups of the tea, but it almost always relieves my nausea. Hope this helps! And I hope your headaches diminish, as well as the nausea. I will be praying for you! Keep us posted! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel :)
  7. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks Shel, One of the other reasons I like the phenergan is that it helps me go to sleep when I'm having migraine pain as well as helping nausea. Sleep seems to be the only thing that gets me through them.

I believe the migraines are triggered by a stress reaction in my body. When I get startled, even a little bit, the adrenalin rush almost always triggers a migraine like headache a few hours later that can last a day or two. I have no idea what to do about this. GB66
  8. My heart goes out to you! For me, any adrenaline rush will send me into a pretty bad ME/CFS flare. I get bad headaches too, but they don't last as long as yours... usually only a few hours, and that's bad enough! So to suffer with it for 2 days must be horrible. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! I will def be praying for you...

I can understand why you would want to take the phenergan for sleep too... I get bad vertigo sometimes with extreme nausea if I even move an inch... so I've had to take phenergan in those cases to knock me out as well. I'm thankful I had some on hand at the time. I've been out of it for a while, so I pray the vertigo doesn't return!

One other natural thing that I will mention that has helped me with headaches is inhaling peppermint oil vapors (comes in a very small bottle from healthfood stores). I just open the bottle, put it under my nose and inhale deeply for about 5 to 10 minutes. It does help most of the time. I had read this in one of my homeopathic remedies books. Not sure why it works, but it does (most of the time)

But if you're dealing with migraines, I would probably just stick with the phenergan... or benadryl if it knocks you out like it does most folks.

Hang in there! Praying for you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2013]
  9. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I phoned my doctor's office but they wouldn't prescribe until I come in for my next visit. I'm supposed to go in the next couple of weeks. I'm overdue for a visit anyway. My daughter had a couple of them that I borrowed from her. I just take 1/4 of one at a time. It really helps. GB66