Phila.PA area/Dr. S. Katz..anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foggygirl, Apr 5, 2006.

1. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I found his name on the 'good Dr.' list on this site. Is anyone familiar with him and can give me any info. about him or his plan of treatment?

Thanks,

Foggygirl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  2. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

I personally had a bad experience with him - he basically told me I had a virus and that it would go away soon, then gave me the business card of a psychologist and told me to call him. Another member here saw him as well and had a similar experience.

chris
  3. Cindi

Cindi New Member

Hi Foggy,

I live 3 minutes from his Bucks County office. I had seen him speak at a Fibromyalgia group meeting a long time ago. He seemed nice enough. I was happy with the care I was getting at the time, so I had no real need to see him.

Eventually I was in a desperate place, and decided to make an appt. with him. I took my husband along, and Dr. Katz spent over 1 hour with me! He really talked to us, got a detailed history, etc. He made a few suggestions that were good. It seemed like a dream come true!!

On my second visit, I no sooner went into his office (not the examining room), and he asked me a couple of questions, then got up to leave!! Total visit lasted maybe 5 minutes!

After this experience, I was going to stop going to him, but decided to give him one more chance. This visit lasted a little longer, but wasn't productive at all.

During my visits he never did a real exam, ie; weight, heart, blood pressure, etc. I had some copies of labs, but he never wanted to repeat any of the tests or order new ones. The first visit he did do a limited physical exam.

All in all, I get much more going to my family doctor!! I really don't believe that Dr. Katz "specializes" in FMS/CFIDS like he says. I am planning to see a new Rheumatologist in the near future, but will still see my DO regularly. Still searching for "the" doctor!

Sorry to burst anyones bubble:( I really thought that he would be a great help to me.

~Cindi

**BTW - the fact that his waiting room was always empty should have been a big clue!** Getting appts. in a few days should have been another! Live & Learn!!
  4. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Sorry I don't know anyone who has gone to him personally, & I wish I could offer recommendations for the Philly area.

My question is, does anyone know if the good doctor list is actually approved doctors or if on the basis of one recommendation a doctor can make it on the list? it would be helpful if there was some sort of feedback system, like with ebay or travel sites.

Good luck with your search. There are some NJ docs who specialize in CFS but cost big bucks to go & they don't take insurance. Bummer...
  5. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

Thanks so much for the input--Discouraging, but better to know in advance.

I think ephemera had a good point: How DO doctors get on this list? Could they put their names in here themselves? You know, free advertising.??? He did seem familiar with this board and said "Don't believe everything you read on there."

Cindy: My first visit was very similar to yours, and yes, his waiting room was empty.

Thanks all.
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I haven't heard of that Doc but here are 2 that I have used. I've been seeing Dr Bown. He pretty good getting an appointment with him is not easy. At first it took almost a month to get an appointment.

The second one is also very good I was able to see her in a couple of weeks. She is very kind and considerate, and is not afraid to document her findings either. I would be going to see her but she is a little further away from where I live. Sometimes driving for me can be difficult. I don't take my pain meds when I drive so that's why I still see Dr Brown. If you've already had alot of testing done than DR Brown most likely would not order any new ones other then what he would do to make the dx.

As I said I would not hesitate going to either of these docs, they are both very good.

There are 2 that I know of. I have an Aetna policy and both accept it. Dr. Sylvan Brown Allentown Pa. and Dr Bienick Whitehall Pa.

Jake
  7. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

Thanks Jake, I'll try your suggestion. As I'm sure you know, finding a good doctor is SOOO hard.

Foggygirl
  8. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I went to Dr Natelson in NJ. He was Wonderful!
    His staff was great as well.

I am thanking my stars he is NOT that far away. THough the
    trip for me is a major one.

Not cheap but, worth it to me. $500.00 consultaion.
    ANd has excellent credentials.

Loved his book. facing & fighting fatigue a practical approach.

best of luck
  9. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

Thanks for the input but I live too far away. I live 4 hours north of Phila. so NJ would be just that much further. The only reason that I traveled that far initially (my daughter had to drive) was that I thought I'd finally found a good doc. but hate to impose on my kids, although they say they are glad to do it and are so supportive.

10. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

He is in Newark,NJ if that helps I am 1 1/2 hrs away
  11. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've been going to Dr Katz for over a year now. I'm really surprised at the negative feedback. I absolutely *love* him. My dh comes with me about 50% of the time and he likes him also.

Isn't it odd how different people interact with one another? I couldn't say enough good stuff about him. I'll have to admit that I've been in his office on a "bad" day once or twice -- his bad day, not mine. He sometimes does seem a tad... distant? But for the long run, I've never had a doctor do more for me or show more compassion than this man.

I've also been there for a lot of my bad days -- days when I could barely talk w/o crying like a idiot. He helped me thru those days and let me retain my dignity. He's also fought my insurance company for treatments he thought I needed and won. I doubt if I'd ever want to see another doc for these DDs.

I'd say if you're close to him give it a try, you just may connect with him. I'm only about 20 minutes away from the Bucks County office, but I'd travel if I had to.

mar