Philsr, what did you mean about insur co limiting narcotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Feb 12, 2003.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

In your answer to the post about narcotic pain meds you mentioned that insurance companies in NC put a limit on them. Could you explain a little more about that? I live in NC too and started taking Percocet about a month ago and have truthfully been a little worried about taking them. As a nurse I know the difference between addiction and dependence, but still for me, Percocet is a strong drug. And then last night when I took my script in the pharmacist said "you know that you can really get addicted to Percocet". What she really meant was dependent of course, but I guess I'm a little paranoid anyway so if the insurance company is going to come along and question them too, I would rather ask the doc for something else now.

BTW, where are you in NC?

Annette
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

bumping for phil
  3. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

What insurance company????? Am curious....also. Where in NC?
  4. philsr

philsr New Member

Hi,

I've been gone for awhile. I have acually felt pretty good today. First time in a long while.

I have been taking oxycontin for a while now. So, of course I have been going thru adjusting the dose and in the process, found that 120 mgs. was the most I could take in one day because of getting bad headaches if I take any more. BTW, it is the only thing that kept me half way going for the last year, until I was laid off. I know its not good to take such a strong med for so long, but it sure did help. Anyway, the company that I worked for changed ins co every yr. I pd $110 a week for me and wife last year. When i got laid off, my ins was good thru the end of Jan. I went to my Dr and explained the situation and he wrote scrips I needeD and tried to max qty out on them so I could stock up. I normally get 90 oxy@ 40mg. He tried to write 120 tabs and the Pharmacy said ins would only approve 90 tabs. I don't know that all ins co's are the same or if it is just in NC, but the ins co we had last yr was the same way. I can't remember the name of other co right this minute. I do know for a fact that with oxy, you can only get one scrip at a time(no refills). Also, I guess most of you know that sometimes you can just call the Dr and get him to call the med in and the Pharmacy I go to will even call the Dr for me to get refills. Well not with oxy. One scrip at a time, no refills, no calling it in.

I am in Lumberton,NC
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2003]
  5. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I understand what you're saying now. I thought you meant that the insurance company would only okay the scripts for a limited number of months. But hubby had something similar to what you're talking about. He has end stage renal disease and prob. sclerosing peritonitis. The last time he was in the hospital for the peritonitis the docs took out the catheter in his abdominal cavity and started him on hemodyalisis. But he has such a large amount of scar tissue in his belly that when he eats it puts pressure on that area and causes him a lot of pain so he takes 4 Darvocet every day. When he first started taking it we would just call the doc's office when he ran out and they would call in a refill. But then it started to be such a hassle to find Dr. Chandler when we needed the refill that they just wrote a script for 120 pills with 6 refills. The nurse said that this was the max the insurance companies would allow. But the Percocet I take is just like your oxycontin, I have to have a new written script every month.

I live in Charlotte. What about you LadyDragon? Where do you live?

Annette
  6. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

I live in Southport.... but grew up in Red Springs. I have insurance with the state, and they will only fill a prescrip. for 1 month at a time,.... for a large number of pills. I get 3 month prescriptions, and have to have them broken down ..... I pay 3 times the price, but its worth it to know their available when I need them.
  7. philsr

philsr New Member

My in-laws live at Holden's Beach in Hurricaine Haven. I would like to move to coast one day.

Phil
  8. Bratnut

Bratnut New Member

Hi,

I was having the same trouble with needing new prescriptions and the quantity they would refill. My doctor suggested it and my insurance company was pushing a mail order pharmacy. My doctor said they were cheaper and I didn't get it as my co-payment is the same. The cheaper came from the amount that they would refill at any given time. I got at least 3x as much in one order (one co-payment vs.three) than I could at a walk in pharmacy! I still have to have new prescriptions for some of them (certain drugs like oxycontin, dexadrine require this by law to prevent abuse). There didn't seem to be the restrictions in quantity and it lowered the number and the hassle of getting the new paper prescription for every month's supply.

A reality check is that it's a pain in the butt to a degree the 1st time around. After that, it's not bad and certainly cheaper. I do miss my walk-in pharmacy for convenience and questions and that personal touch, but not enough for 3x the price.

Patricia
  9. SCARLETT415

SCARLETT415 New Member

My brother used to live in Charlotte and I loved the city. He now lives in Concord. My son and family used to live in Fayetteville so I am very familiar with Holden Beach. Stayed there many times and absolutely love it. Except for the Hurricanes, I also wouldn't mind retiring there.
    Hugs,
    Annette(3)
  10. philsr

philsr New Member

Sorry for the confusion folks. The point I was trying to get across is to be careful about running out. As much as I am happy to have a Dr who believes and tries to treat this DD, I also had a horror story because of this Dr. I was to pick up my OXY scrip one Fri and didn't make it before they closed. Called the fine doc at home to inform him of my problem. He politely told me that he could not do anything about it because he could not call it in, which I told him I understood. After some awkward silence, this fine Dr laid his phone down and walked off. Needless to say, I was very pissed. As a note, I usually see the PA when I go to the doc's office anyway because he is more understanding and has some personality, which the Dr has none of. Well, I could not find the PA, so needless to say, Sat was very unpleasant. Not only was it one of my bad days anyway, but late that evening, I went thru a bad withdrawl from the oxy. I cried uncontrollably(sp) for hours and even considered going to the hospital just to try to find some help. There is no way I can explain the things, mostly mental, that I went thru that night. Now I know everyone is going to say "you should get rid of that quack", but as I stated, I see the PA at his office and we all know how hard it is to get a Dr that believes anyway.

Also I found out that this Dr was on call at the hospital all day Sat and could have had me to meet him there. The PA told me that if that ever happens again to call the hospital and tell them that it was an emergancy and they could contact him. He is so nice. I just wish he was a Dr. I have never had any other problems with the Dr before and he has been very good about giving me meds when needed. He treats several people with FMS and CFS, just no personality at all.

Just be careful.
    Phil