Phone number for HELP mentioned by........DR. PHIL

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Oct 11, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I don't usually watch this guy on purpose, but I happened to catch the end of today's show. He had on a young family who had become homeless due to the wife's illness. When he asked what the "illness" was, and she said extreme anxiety...I was waiting for the Dr. Phil "shame on you" lecture.

He briefly started to go there, but then stated that his show was giving them a fresh start by getting them into a nice 3 bedroom townhouse. It was very touching.

But, the point of my post is that at the end of the show he gave out a phone number for folks who find themselves in similar conditions to call: 211...that's the number for United Way which can then give out referrals for all kinds of services which may be available in your area. I don't know if this is already common knowledge, but it's new to me, and I thought I'd bring attention to it.
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks For posting this!! Hopefully it can help some people out!! Bump
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2006]
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I've used it a couple of times (I don't remember what for). It's neat that this information number is available in the USA as well as Canada. We also have a 311 number for... I think it was for something to do with the city. Foggy today!
    ((xx)) Shannon
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

for others that may be in need of this info.

Thanks for posting this :)
  5. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I seen this show too. At the beginning there was a couple that were separated and he hadn't paid Child Support in a year and felt he shouldn't pay because he never knew where the money was going. Dr. Phil recommended she take him to court. She was pregnant again and struggling to pay rent and utilities.

Dr. Phil agreed to pay her rent until she had the baby and she got on her feet again.

On the next segment I actually didn't hear any hesitance in his voice when she explained that she was experiencing severe anxiety and panic attacks due to living in a motor home for the past year.

They had four kids and he arranged them to get a townhouse fully furnished and they would be expected to work and start paying after they started getting steady income.

Dr. Phil will state to everyone appearing on his show he doesn't perform 15 minute cures but helps to choose a better path for someone to take and I know many people have been blessed because of him.

carolin
  6. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

That is the full number to call or are you just not allowed to write out the full number? My husband has been out of work for months, just got a job 2 weeks ago waiting tables and we are in big trouble financially...
  7. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

I went to Dr. Phils web site and found a link to the 211 information line. thank you for posting this, I will be calling them this afternoon when I get home from work.
  8. sleepyinlalaland

211 is the full number. (like 911)
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

that he didn't know where the money was going. Dr. Phil told him it was none of his business.

I must have missed something. Does Dr. Phil not believe in anxiety? Of course, I'm sure he's never had it with his HUGE salary, perfect wife and children.
  10. sleepyinlalaland

brought the quizzical look to the good doc's face was...was when he asked her what illness she had that caused their current situation. They had already shown video from their life of sad pretense...where the whole family is living in an RV and pretending to the world like they're going camping. By this time, the audience has great sympathy, but when she finally reveals her illness to be "anxiety"...well, there was a pause.

I didn't see the beginning of this interview so I don't know how it was set up. But part of me wondered like Dr. Phil did that..."well, no WONDER you're anxious!...don't you see the circle here?" (in other words, she was causing and perpetuating it). Evidently their decline began when she quit work because of her condition, and the husband could not carry it all.

At any rate, he didn't moralize like I was expecting him to. He offered the apartment, and stated that MANY families are one paycheck short of the streets. I applaud him for conceding that TRUTH.
  11. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

There is also a website for 211 not sure if we are allowed to give that out on here.

Angie